Outerwear flywheel covers!?!?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've always considered it. But just had my engine apart today and I found like a piece of grass in there lol...so I'm still at a solid pass for now.

However, get a stone or something up in there and destroy your flywheel or at least fek it up pretty good you'd think otherwise. To each their own. Not for me...yet.

I never mesh modded the crankcase on my old fuelie and never had an issue, but I mostly ran on dirt, uncut grass and pavement with it.

I'd say a mesh mod will cover you for 99% of possible issues like grass and stones. I think one of the biggest reasons for running one of these is if you run in sand exclusively. It can keep some of the larger grit out, which might reduce wear on the ignition and crank seals. It can also help keep water out of your flywheel to some extent. So if you're a beach runner, this is a good option.

These were never really all that popular back in the day. Most folks opted for mesh mods instead. ?‍♂️

You could run a finer mesh, or get some flocking to pit over a heavier mesh, if sand were a concern. But from past experience with full sized rigs. Sand gets everywhere. No matter how hard you try to keep it out.

I use both the crankcase and starter housing Outerwear cover on my 5ive-T.

I can think of 3 factors to consider to determine if you need a cover or mesh mod; driving surface, rig characteristics, and environment.

Driving surface: Parking lot, groomed park, cemetery :LOL:, beach, you probably don't need either one. Unimproved field, construction site, you might want to use them.

Rig characteristics: I'm not sure what a Baja, 5ive-B, Dbxl or Mtxl does. My 5ive-T seems to pick up everything it runs over and throws it into the chassis tub.
20190407_174505.jpg
Environment: Where I live there is a lot of Cottonwood trees. There are days during the summer where it looks like it is snowing, there is so much cotton in the air. The cotton doesn't seem to be an issue with automotive radiators but, on water cooled lawn equipment it clogs up the radiators screen and cause over heating. I'm worried cotton and weeds I drive through would clog a mesh mod so, I use the Outwears.

With the Outwear, clean up is a breeze. Just toss out big clumps of debris and a quick blast of air under the engine from the compressor and my rig is clean.

You could run a finer mesh, or get some flocking to pit over a heavier mesh, if sand were a concern. But from past experience with full sized rigs. Sand gets everywhere. No matter how hard you try to keep it out.

Yeah, I've resigned myself to the inevitable. Once the beaches open back up, I'ma run it like I stole it and replace the poop the sand kills. Just gotta keep the engine internals protected. The rest is just a write off.

I'm not sure what a Baja, 5ive-B, Dbxl or Mtxl does. My 5ive-T seems to pick up everything it runs over and throws it into the chassis tub.

Yup, if it moves, it sucks up the crud, and to the worst places possible. It's just the way of the hobby.

imo mesh mod+outerwears r a must regardless of surface u run on

I'm a huge fan of outerwares on the starter cover. With the TR V2 Reed case, it basically has a built in mesh mod and works well to keep the grass out. I'm really not too concerned about my flywheel getting detonated.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks