pipe recommendations for Losi MTXL

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
here is a truck owned by my buddy who will be new to 1/5 scale. The design of the stock can exhaust seems like it would cover the inside of the body with oil from the exhaust. Can anyone recommend a pipe for the classic MTXL?

Congrats on the mtxl. They're getting harder to find, same for parts.

There's a 90-degree rubber joint that's supposed to connect to the stock can to direct the exhaust downwards, which is still a bad design from losi. or you can get an aftermarket pipe from ebay.

I suggest getting hot racing steering posts and dgi racing throttle post arm, this will save you lots of headache. also stock up on mtxl specific parts as they're getting hard to find. some parts are interchangeable with the dbxl but the extended pieces are mtxl only. remote engine kill switch is also a good safety net.

Looks like you got it used, if so, probably good to completely tear it down and rebuild to see all issues it might have, clean and loctite all metal to metal screws, rebuild 3 diffs, check servos and linkages.

Heads up wheels/tire a pita to rebuild, a new set will cost you $400. I ordered a set of powerhobby XL made for the arrma kraton 8s, will let you know it goes, it costs less than half of MTXL orig wheels/tires.

Sorry for the long response.

Enjoy your RC monster truck on steroids!

Congrats on the mtxl. They're getting harder to find, same for parts.

There's a 90-degree rubber joint that's supposed to connect to the stock can to direct the exhaust downwards, which is still a bad design from losi. or you can get an aftermarket pipe from ebay.

I suggest getting hot racing steering posts and dgi racing throttle post arm, this will save you lots of headache. also stock up on mtxl specific parts as they're getting hard to find. some parts are interchangeable with the dbxl but the extended pieces are mtxl only. remote engine kill switch is also a good safety net.

Looks like you got it used, if so, probably good to completely tear it down and rebuild to see all issues it might have, clean and loctite all metal to metal screws, rebuild 3 diffs, check servos and linkages.

Heads up wheels/tire a pita to rebuild, a new set will cost you $400. I ordered a set of powerhobby XL made for the arrma kraton 8s, will let you know it goes, it costs less than half of MTXL orig wheels/tires.

Sorry for the long response.

Enjoy your RC monster truck on steroids!
Wow, thank you so much for the rad info! It turns out my buddy is going to pretty much let me keep this thing so I will try to make it as good as I can get it! That's crazy about the wheels! wow! Yes, I am very curious to know if the Arma tires fit the rig!
I used the Victory silenced pipe on mine. Worked well.
rad, Victory is always a great pipe!
Olimat / bartalone/ vrc are all good options
Thanks Doug, I'm very curious about Olimat pipes as well. I might have to give them a look!

I just installed the powerhobby belted xl tires and they fit really good. the diameter is a hair smaller then the stock and about 1" narrower than the stock. i haven't driven on it yet, my gut feeling is that it will be more responsive due to the lower profile than the stock and it being narrower. i lost about 3" on total width, installed, i'm guessing the wheel offset played a roll on this. i will also try to get it weighed and see if there's a difference. i will consider wheel extenders if want the same overall width but honestly it looks leaner right now than before. for $150 vs $400 new wheel/tire and belted, i think this is a good option. will keep you posted.

just drove the truck with the powerhobby scorpion xl's and man does it handle well! this is a really good option, even better than the stock wheels/tires that costs more than double. the truck drove so much better and turns more responsive. i was doing donuts on pavement with stock motor and 1m/500k diff fluids, couldn't do that before with the massive stock mtxl tires.

Disclaimer, i don't get paid by powerhobby or anyone for this review. check your car for clearance and suspension setting. Your car, your call.

just drove the truck with the powerhobby scorpion xl's and man does it handle well! this is a really good option, even better than the stock wheels/tires that costs more than double. the truck drove so much better and turns more responsive. i was doing donuts on pavement with stock motor and 1m/500k diff fluids, couldn't do that before with the massive stock mtxl tires.

Disclaimer, i don't get paid by powerhobby or anyone for this review. check your car for clearance and suspension setting. Your car, your call.
Alright, very great to hear for sure. It would be really fun to drive a monster truck that also handles and turns really good and sharp. Also, I would like to ask what fluid do you put in the shocks and do you put 1m in the center and 500K in the rear and front?

correct, 1m center and 500k front and rear. i'm using stock spec for the shocks i think it's 3500. i also have the coilovers at the stiffest setting and shocks where the truck is tallest. i think the truck is heavy enough to compress the shocks at this setting and it will keep it from 'bottoming out'

i also wrapped a rope on the front bumper so you can pull it when it gets stuck in the middle of nowhere, this is a heavy truck to carry, you know that already.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks