Possible carb air leak

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevTrem

Evening all, when I was at the track last week with the 30Degrees Truck I noticed the idle was high and I couldn't bring it down. So today I've had a quick spy and think I have an air leak but just wanted confirmation from more knowledgeable folk.
Engine is 29cc 30 Degrees North with 997 carb

My symptoms are as follows;
High erratic idle, trying to slow causes stall.
Low needle approx 2 turns out any lower wont start.
Idle just below clutch engagement.
After revving it hangs a little and does a strange little blip before coming to idle.

Now my track record with 2 stroke engines isn't brilliant, I have a spare set of inlet gaskets I'm gonna throw on tomorrow to be sure. Engine has had 3 tanks through it including break in.
I have the same engine and carb installed in my Baja which is to be broken in this weekend, the idle on that is fully adjustable and needles are set at L-1.25 turns H-1.5 turns.

Thanks in advance.

Evening all, when I was at the track last week with the 30Degrees Truck I noticed the idle was high and I couldn't bring it down. So today I've had a quick spy and think I have an air leak but just wanted confirmation from more knowledgeable folk.

After revving it hangs a little and does a strange little blip before coming to idle.

Now my track record with 2 stroke engines isn't brilliant, I have a spare set of inlet gaskets I'm gonna throw on tomorrow to be sure. Engine has had 3 tanks through it including break in.
I have the same engine and carb installed in my Baja which is to be broken in this weekend, the idle on that is fully adjustable and needles are set at L-1.25 turns H-1.5 turns.

Thanks in advance.

If you have a composite carb throat ,check for warpage!

LOL...It is not confirmed ,could be 50 million other things!

Take isolator off an stick a straight edge on it ,on both sides ,carb face & block face!....(y)

I will get the straight edge on it, if needs be I can put it on a block with the some wet and dry to level it off or bring it to work and use milling machine.
Or fit angled isolator back on the Baja and nick the isolator from that lol. Plenty options lol

Thanks in advance.

Check the throttle linkage and make sure it's not hitting anything to hang it up and keep it from closing all the way . On mine the throttle linkage was hitting my velocity stack and not allowing the carb to close all the way. Had to do a little creative carving with my dremel to make things work correctly.

The the same gasket I was missing when I took motor out of box lol took a bit to get it figured out.
Luckily for me I knew I had ran out of those gaskets from my spares box, so 2 full inlet gasket sets where ordered when I ordered the truck plus engine for the Baja. Stuff like that I see as consumable and handy to have spares, along with a new spark plug or two and pull starts.

This was brand new out of the box, couldn't get to go run right. Til I finally pulled a carb off mg another motor and realized I was missing a gasket entirely
Snap, mine was new out the box too. But its running mint now, went bashing yesterday and its perfect, absolutely loving it, idles nice and low, starts within 3 pulls, couldn't ask for more, well apart from the baja to be as reliable, another diff cup broke yesterday, bloody thing.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks