Possibly dead engine *updated with pictures of partial engine gore*

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spoogity Woogums

TL;DR, I think my spark plug killed my engine

So a couple of days ago, I set out to run my baja. It was giving me pull starter issues (I'm still learning), and once I got it sorted out, i got it to kinda fire up. It would pop a few times like it was trying to run, but wouldn't under it's own power. So I gave it a pull with half throttle and it fired up. Once I let off the throttle it tried to die so I gave it more gas. It hesitated, and started revving up like normal. I drove it for about 10 minutes and then out of nowhere it just died. It sounded like the piston was moving but there was no detonation. After the normal "please start" routine (choke, bulb, gas on pull), the pull start seized. Not like a broken pawl seize but a solid one. I don't have a piston stopper tool but I'm pretty sure it would feel like trying to start with one of those in it. So I drained the gas, tossed it in the trunk and went home.
Fast forward to a few hours when I needed to pick up my fiance from work and I'm parked around back. I pull out my baja, and start on taking out the plug to see if it's flooded. I use the spoiler of my car as a makeshift workbench, and it's high enough for me to comfortably work on. I get the plug out and <picture included>.
I see why it won't detonate, because the spark plug 's electrode is straight up gone. I dunno how it broke off, could have broke off, and neither do my LHS guys.
So that's why the pull start seized. I flip the entire machine over, jostle a bit, and give a couple of small pulls. It pulls freely now and whatever broke off is now on the ground behind a gas station. I took a picture of the inside of the cylinder/piston and brother thinks it doesn't look good.
So here we are a few days later, new plug, and now it straight up won't start. Normal "please start" routine, nothing. The plug isn't making any kind of spark, no matter what I try. I pulled the pull starter and front cover off and the red killswitch came unhooked. I squeezed the connector down a bit with pliers and put it back on (it wasn't staying on the switch, kept sliding off). Put it all back together, still starting. I think what came off the spark plug killed the engine.

Attachments

• 32948656_986182661540633_7528663209838903296_n.jpg
    32948656_986182661540633_7528663209838903296_n.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 32974165_986166421542257_6727275041718796288_n.jpg
    32974165_986166421542257_6727275041718796288_n.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 34
Forgot to mention, I shortened my pull starter line, because I kept screwing the whole pull starter up. Its got enough length to get a pop and a half out of the engine, dunno if this is relevant

EDIT: I am also using a KillerBee killswitch

Last edited:
That wont start in a million years matey. It looks like there is a hole in the piston , and you have more than likely knackered the cylinder walls and ports. Its going to be a new piston and cylinder i'm afraid.
DDM has some cracking deal on head kits. Is it a two or four bolt head?

There are loads of head kits out there , look though the site and see what your engine is and what you want to go up to.

http://www.davesmotors.com/esp-eart...t-modified-34mm-zenoah-g270rc-27-2cc-kit.html

J

Last edited:
Knocked off spark plug electrode metal shavings.. Your done bud. Time for a new engine. don't give in to King motor or any clone motor.Except for a 4 bolt CY. Those are good...

The 320 is probably gonna be my top pick, I can just pull the tuned pipe off my 26cc and slap it on. But I plan on going with an X-can and dual silencers so I can have a beastly setup while keeping it somewhat quiet. Again, this is going on a kraken TSK-1 conversion so more beef the better.

Plus my brother bought a rovan baja and beat me in a drag race so pride is on the line

I was eyeballing this but now I see a lot of CY engines at the 30cc mark for under 200$ pre-shipping. I'm planning on doing the Kraken TSK-1 conversion so I'm wanting to put as much power in as possible

G290 - 3.5HP before you put a pipe on $219
http://www.davesmotors.com/zenoah-g290rc-engine-966669901-4-bolt-topend-g290-290.html
I've been running one for 4 yrs and haven't touched it except for a new pull start.
I personally wouldn't touch HY or CY after my past experiences with them.

I'd like to get away from CY it at all possible, seeing as I'm in this situation with one now. Ho the nell could the electrode even break? When I took the plug out, I could get it out by hand super easily

The 320 is probably gonna be my top pick, I can just pull the tuned pipe off my 26cc and slap it on. But I plan on going with an X-can and dual silencers so I can have a beastly setup while keeping it somewhat quiet. Again, this is going on a kraken TSK-1 conversion so more beef the better.

Plus my brother bought a rovan baja and beat me in a drag race so pride is on the line

2WD will always be faster in a straight line but 4WD will out handle it in the corners

He's running the baja clone, and I think came with a 29cc engine. I've gotten the corners thing down just by whipping the tail around, which is different from 1/10 electrics because 90% of those have the motor hanging of the back bumper so weight it tough to throw around

He's running the baja clone, and I think came with a 29cc engine. I've gotten the corners thing down just by whipping the tail around, which is different from 1/10 electrics because 90% of those have the motor hanging of the back bumper so weight it tough to throw around

I've got a Dune Runner so it's very tail heavy.
The MT should handle better with the centre mounted engine.

I've noticed the baja's weight sits around the rear 3/4 of the entire machine, right over the area that matters most for handling imho

I had a g290 in my baja with 19/55 gears. Best motor I've ever had. After 5 years of running it finally needed a topend. Very strong.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks