PPE For Fifth-scale Vehicles

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harold Bascom

photo_editor_ds_1594730229363.png

PPE: Personal Protection Equipment. A very topical concern today as the Coronavirus rages. But let's relate the concept of PPE to the fifth-scale rc vehicles that we drive.

In my most recent post, a guy laments that after his company sold a quarter-scale rc race car to a client (after including a printed caution that an rc vehicle of its size ought only be driven on a dedicated 1/4 scale rc racetrack), the client ran it in a parking lot and subsequently broke his ankle after it ran into him. Ouch! Sadly, the man sued the rc company and effectively destroyed it. (See my post "Shouldn't There Be Rc Vehicles Insurance?".)

So, how do we protect our ankles from being smashed into and broken? I've considered buying a special pair of reinforced long boots, and the inspiration hit me after my Redcat Rampage XR slammed into my ankle and caused me to wonder if it was fractured. I also remember the infancy of my fifth-scale gasser days when more than once I burned myself on hot exhaust pipes, and thereafter, started wearing protective gloves. (I even bought myself a little fire extinguisher for the garage space I tinker in. Gasoline, remember?)

So, guys (gals), as far as PPE go, let's speak of how we can go about protecting ourselves and others in our hobby.

PEACE!

Last edited:
my concerns as far as ppe don't go farther than making sure I don't inhale toxic fumes. ill always wear a mask when I need to, but basically never wear gloves or anything else... if I burn myself or cut myself which I commonly do I yell out a curse and move on

Ultimately you need to run on a track which is enclosed with tyres or boards to stop the cars/trucks at all costs. It'll mean you don't need a remote kill, you wont need PPE as you will be on a platform/podium and there will be strict controls about where you can run you vehicle plus engine size's etc. Pretty much how every track is now. In the UK to run at a track you need BRCA membership which does include liability insurance if i read the info correctly, including running in public spaces.

Now, not all of us want to or can run at a track for various reasons from there isn't a track or engine size exceeds the tracks limits, that is where bashing comes into it. The groups I bash with all state you must have a functioning remote kill to be able to run with the group, that is the only limitation. You have to rely on common sense and not run the rigs at people or property just in case something fails.

I had a failure on Sunday at my local track, butterfly within the carb jammed open due to a loose screw, I knew instantly something wasn't right and used the remote kill before the car ran into the tyres, I also have my receiver set so it jams the brakes on full to stop the rig once kill has been activated.

I think a lot of what your getting at comes down to owners and users of these models and the smaller ones too, being responsible and sensible about how and where they run their equipment.

Ultimately you need to run on a track which is enclosed with tyres or boards to stop the cars/trucks at all costs. It'll mean you don't need a remote kill, you wont need PPE as you will be on a platform/podium and there will be strict controls about where you can run you vehicle plus engine size's etc. Pretty much how every track is now. In the UK to run at a track you need BRCA membership which does include liability insurance if i read the info correctly, including running in public spaces.

Now, not all of us want to or can run at a track for various reasons from there isn't a track or engine size exceeds the tracks limits, that is where bashing comes into it. The groups I bash with all state you must have a functioning remote kill to be able to run with the group, that is the only limitation. You have to rely on common sense and not run the rigs at people or property just in case something fails.

I had a failure on Sunday at my local track, butterfly within the carb jammed open due to a loose screw, I knew instantly something wasn't right and used the remote kill before the car ran into the tyres, I also have my receiver set so it jams the brakes on full to stop the rig once kill has been activated.

I think a lot of what your getting at comes down to owners and users of these models and the smaller ones too, being responsible and sensible about how and where they run their equipment.
It is so refreshing to finally get an articulate and serious response. Thank you for your thoughtful and informative contribution. Peace

to be fair you were asking for peoples for their opinions, if you were just looking for people to confirm your thought process maybe you should have stated that in your first post...
"Confirm" MY thought process? I was if the opinion that we are group of adults in a hobby that calls for a degree of responsibility. My mistake in believing the latter. But don't worry, that was my very last post. My apologies to all. Peace!

"Confirm" MY thought process? I was if the opinion that we are group of adults in a hobby that calls for a degree of responsibility. My mistake in believing the latter. But don't worry, that was my very last post. My apologies to all. Peace!
yea, but the responsibility comes from picking the right place to run, ensuring you have a killswitch and being careful with how you drive. if you are crashing your car into peoples ankles then the problem isn't the shoes your wearing...

I do not want the law to hender the RC fun ,nor do I want another insurance company to take free money from people!

I am in a small town where law really don't exist ,we have folks here that rides there atv's up & down the streets all the
time ,play loud music an spin brodies in the middle of the intersection!

However ,there should be insurance on property for RC clubs ,I think that the RC flight clubs have to have that!

https://www.wkbw.com/news/local-news/new-faa-rules-for-outdoor-rc-pilots

Gloves and eye protection when I'm messing with fuel and other possibly dangerous stuff, that's about it. I've never hit myself with an rc in my entire life or anything of that sort

Back in the late 90's ,I had hit a kid with my 50 mph Duratrax street force car at full WOT ,the kid started screaming & crying
as he went running home ,I was expecting the parent to come to my house ,but never came ,kids think that they are toys!
One time ,I had a kid reach down to pick one of my cars up as it died down the street ,the kid reached down ,an then jerked
his hand back ,he had grabbed the hot engine!....LOL

Back in the late 90's ,I had hit a kid with my 50 mph Duratrax street force car at full WOT ,the kid started screaming & crying
as he went running home ,I was expecting the parent to come to my house ,but never came ,kids think that they are toys!
One time ,I had a kid reach down to pick one of my cars up as it died down the street ,the kid reached down ,an then jerked
his hand back ,he had grabbed the hot engine!....LOL

And that's why I never run near anyone, especially kids ?

C'mon man, don't be so sensitive. Disagreement and personality clash are a given wherever people gather. Nobody's being malicious. I've just never even considered PPE for using RC cars. But I don't consider it for much of anything if im honest.

The only PPE I use , arnette sunglasses when I run my rigs?
C'mon man, don't be so sensitive. Disagreement and personality clash are a given wherever people gather. Nobody's being malicious. I've just never even considered PPE for using RC cars. But I don't consider it for much of anything if im honest.
+1
I usually wear jeans and boots when I run my nitros at the track and my 5th scales in the field. No gloves or safety glasses tho. I don't think it's that serious.
+1

Guess I'll throw my 2 cents in here as well. As I mostly run on my own property, insurance has never been a thought, nor in honesty would I get it. I'm very particular about running around people, ie next to non around. I'm a diesel mechanic by trade, turned into municipal worker, so I understand the need for ppe in some instances. However I can't say I wear anything outside of my normal attire for safety gear. Guess it would be best for you to dictate what you need for the given situation.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks