Prototypeing a reedvalve

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I'm thinking about designing my own piston reedvalve for RC engines. Im coming up with a whole slew of designs that im planning in making products for and this is one thing I see in the market that is just ridiculously expensive for no reason. Hopefully I can help with that. So here's part of my design so far. Its loosely based upon existing designs and isn't finished yet in the slightest. Suggestions would be cool so I can get pointed in the right direction.

Sorry for the early shot. Im just bored and wanna talk about it.

Attachments

• Prototype REED.jpg
    Prototype REED.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
They arnt hard to make imo, what the reed petals are made of is what's important, and if they are readily available if replacement is needed. Other then that, I agree I cant see the high prices for what they are. Will you be making them 2 stage like a boyesen or going for the moto tasinari with more smaller petals?

They arnt hard to make imo, what the reed petals are made of is what's important, and if they are readily available if replacement is needed. Other then that, I agree I cant see the high prices for what they are. Will you be making them 2 stage like a boyesen or going for the moto tasinari with more smaller petals?
It would be more like a stage 2. There isn't enough room in where it needs to be to be like the moto tassinari HOWEVER I just had the idea of taking an existing reed system and make a converter case for it for zenoah. Might be able to make it SUPER cheap that way.

So I'm thinking about designing my own piston reedvalve for RC engines. Im coming up with a whole slew of designs that im planning in making products for and this is one thing I see in the market that is just ridiculously expensive for no reason. Hopefully I can help with that. So here's part of my design so far. Its loosely based upon existing designs and isn't finished yet in the slightest. Suggestions would be cool so I can get pointed in the right direction.

Sorry for the early shot. Im just bored and wanna talk about it.
Nice 3d modeling ! , less parts = less $$ IF you can use and existing reed cage do it , maybe from a small CC dirt bike ??

Nice 3d modeling ! , less parts = less $$ IF you can use and existing reed cage do it , maybe from a small CC dirt bike ??
Yep I think I found it too however there will still need to be a few custom parts on it. Im thinking I might be able to modify a reedvalve for less then $50 however its gonna require DLE carb instead of something that has a pulse port on the intake side.

Also do you think the intake port reaches 350f?

Last edited:
Yep I think I found it too however there will still need to be a few custom parts on it. Im thinking I might be able to modify a reedvalve for less then $50 however its gonna require DLE carb instead of something that has a pulse port on the intake side.

Our carbs should be able to be modified for a external pulse signal. And tbh the pulse can come from through the reed. Your getting the signal from the crankcase anyway, shouldnt be a major issue to put a small passage in the right area. And I doubt the intake sees that kind if temp, but I've never bothered to measure it. Your biggest enemy here with an adaptation is going to be space, if it's a cylinder reed. Cant have it being too thick, or too long. Not a lot of area to work with, unfortunately.

I don't think you would see 350f there it is always being cooled by the incoming air flow , like Sean said external pulse for the carb is easy , there are all kinds of low cost reed valve changes on Ebay !

When I was a kid we had a West Bend reed motor and the carb was on the Bottom of the cases ! bad ass motor back then.

Last edited:
I don't think you would see 350f there it is always being cooled by the incoming air flow , like Sean said external pulse for the carb is easy , there are all kinds of low cost reed valve changes on Ebay !

When I was a kid we had a West Bend reed motor and the carb was on the Bottom of the cases ! bad ass motor back then.
Reason why I'm asking is because ill be working with a material that will melt at that temp. Obviously I'm going to resin cast it later on once I got the design down but my samples will be printed with engineering resin.

Reason why I'm asking is because ill be working with a material that will melt at that temp. Obviously I'm going to resin cast it later on once I got the design down but my samples will be printed with engineering resin.
What part do you need to be plastic/resin ? the reed block , og maybe the adapter to the carb ! , the further away from the cases the lower the temps .
This was a dyno run measuring the FINS on the head ! highest temp was 400 F

crank test 8k spring.png

Yeah the prototype can only handle 350 the finished product will be able to handle 1500+ the adapter plate for the carb will also be resin or bismuth
to keep the cost low use as many OFF THE SHELF parts as you can , Im sure you know this but I know as a designer it is easy to get lost in the design ! and for get the costs.

Anytime you want to do a real build just stop on by jr. I'll get the grinder and welder out and put you to work.
you need to get a life man ! go build and design a DYNO then talk crap LMFO , not to mention I have worked on all kinds of stuff you would cower to so !!! beside I wasnt talking to you so ????
Lol then let's see your real build ? fricken anti seize in diff ??
poop works GREAT so far so ??

you need to get a life man ! go build and design a DYNO then talk crap LMFO , not to mention I have worked on all kinds of stuff you would cower to so !!! beside I wasnt talking to you so ????

poop works GREAT so far so ??
I highly doubt I'd cower at anything you've done, or considered an accomplishment in your life. After you've realized your main man, who's not designing anything new, is sending it off to have someone else make it and bolting it in an engine. Just like everyone else whom doesn't have the skill or equipment to make their own poop. So do everyone a favor and fek off with your chicken poop comments about bolting poop together. By the way your dyno design is neither complicated, revolutionary, or even a new design.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks