Rear driveshaft alignment

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mick Boomer

After some thoughts and I see a lot of Vekta builds where the yokes are not installed the same on both ends and drivepoints are not parallel. I do realize with the suspension traveling it won’t always line up perfectly but it would be beneficial to find a sweet spot. I suspect this is why all the rear driveshaft issues happen.
Here is a video of what im talking about.

Im talking about alignment of the transmission yoke and the rear axel yoke being parallel. I see several builds where there not parallel. That would cause the velocity vibrations.

Yes phase is critical (easy fix) but im talking mostly about non uniformal velocity. I see alot of rigs with the rear yoke pointing upward which is not good.

Last edited:
In lighter vehicles you can get away with a greater pinion angle within reason. I remember the cheese wedges when I slammed my Dakota r/t that would correct pinion angle. On class 8 trucks all of the drive shafts are pretty much straight on with the u joints and I can understand why...

Edit: and phasing i believe helps with balancing the driveshaft so it doesn't shake itself apart

When we four wheeled we took great pains to get decent joint angles. Even cardone joints and lowering the transfer case, wedges in the rear. I'll have to go look at the vekta and see how you could mess it up, without the links being the wrong lengths

It very well could be why some have had drive shaft issues. Watch the video he explains it pretty good. Its not about balancing the shaft. In a non uniformed vilocity situation, one of the yokes and the shaft actually slowes down and accelerates twice per revolution. The other yoke does not. That is what causes the vibration.

Mick, don't think were disagreeing with your point. And I think the three of us understand what your saying. (Yes I watched the video) but more so comes down to 2 things I think. One we cant help how the vekta is, beyond possibly having the rear links adjusted wrong. And some people may not know it's not good for the driveshaft to have severe angle changes from input side to output side.
Or be out of phase.

Yep what sean said we agree with you mick. And honestly until someone comes out like haric that can adjust pinion angle its probably going to go nowhere. And im only ASSuming since I will be buying a vekta tomorrow but if its drive line angle and this is like a 4 link the axle housing brackets would have to be adjusted and thats milling a whole axle housing so it seems that it is what it is unless a CV style shaft can be made instead of a yoke and u joint setup

Pic one the Yokes are parallel.
Pic 2 the rear axel is clocked pointing upward and the yokes are not parallel.

Wouldn’t be hard to make this mistake especially with the aftermarket adjustable heims. Ive seen some guys clock the rear axel to point directly at the transmission yoke.
I wasn’t trying to start a ? size contest. This is facts.
Im just putting this out there to help??‍♂️

Attachments

• 7ED5C76C-9661-4912-A7DC-2E789F4DCB3E.jpeg
    7ED5C76C-9661-4912-A7DC-2E789F4DCB3E.jpeg
    225 KB · Views: 21
  • EDBFB1C4-E1A5-459B-A3B9-5D22B22DC360.jpeg
    EDBFB1C4-E1A5-459B-A3B9-5D22B22DC360.jpeg
    431.9 KB · Views: 21
Sent DDM an email, see what they have to say about it.
Pic one the Yokes are parallel.
Pic 2 the rear axel is clocked pointing upward and the yokes are not parallel.

Wouldn’t be hard to make this mistake especially with the aftermarket adjustable heims. Ive seen some guys clock the rear axel to point directly at the transmission yoke.
I wasn’t trying to start a ? size contest. This is facts.
Im just putting this out there to help??‍♂️
Cant do anything about the side to side alignment mick. Just how the trans output is off set to the side.
And yes if you didnt say anything I wouldn't have went and looked. In stock trim with stock parts the up and down alignment is ok. The yoke phase is off though.
Ah poop. Wouldn't that ultimately be a kraken issue?... sean what happens if you go 180 degrees? See that its pinned how hard is it to disassemble?
Same thing, it's out if phase the other way.

Im not talking about side to side thats fixed. Actually the transmission yoke is fixed as well. Im talking about parallel up and down. This can be changed by clocking the axel up or down.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks