RedCat Buggy,first impressions and pics.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phatdad

Short and sweet. Before you run it snug up all your fasteners and check your spark plug. My plug was about 3 full turns from being seated. Fuel up time. I always run 28-32 to one oil mix. Pump up the bulb,chock on,about 5 pulls and it popped,chock off,second pull started right up. I leaned high and low just a little.Ran the buggy for about 10mins on the flat. Cool down,start up first pull readjust carb,pulled off the power robbing stinger and went on the track. About 5 mins later the buggy turned into a pogo stick. No big deal because I did not like the suspension set up anyways. All 4 shocks had broken c-clips. I replaced them with a larger HD clip. HPI HD clips snap right on as well. I lowered the upper shock positions front and rear about 5/8" down on the mount to get more down travel below the chassis. Added 40wt oil front and rear, replaced the front shock spring with a HPI blue lower rear.Went back on the track and what a difference with a little suspension tweaking. The buggy went threw the bumps and jumps 100% better. I was running the stock motor with the stinger off and I was impressed. You need to keep it up on the power but the buggy got around great. I hope Redcat has some gearing options. If you run a larger motor you will want them. With some more track time suspension tweaking and more power this buggy will get you hooked. Nothing is funner on a track than a 4wd buggy especially one that has a gas motor. I also went threw two tanks of gas before it got dark and after the small amount of set up changes I did to the buggy, it ran great with not one problem. I was impressed with the shocks. They are simple,did not leak or bend and shock fade was minimal. I'm going to service the diffs and drive train next and look for any signs of wear or week points. I will keep adding to this thread as time goes on.
IMG_1825_2-1.gif

IMG_1836_2-1.gif

IMG_1835_2-1.gif

IMG_1837_2-1.gif

IMG_1833_2-1.gif

IMG_1830_2-1.gif

IMG_1826_2-1.gif

IMG_1840_2-1.gif

IMG_1854.gif

IMG_1853.gif

HPI hubs are a direct fit. Thats great news because my stock tires only lasted about 5 tanks of gas. The stock wheels are strong as hell and much better than the HPI wheel but there is nothing protecting the side wall on the stock tires. The tires take a direct hit on the wheel.
IMG_1855.gif

Last edited:
Awesome Phatdad. Good thing the first few are getting out to the good guys. Simple fixes that we all know about are probably going to have to happen. I will have to start a "Before You Run it Thread."

I'm bringing a Video Camera, and maybe the Monster Truck for the weekend. Not sure how a gas vehicle and my family's clothes are going to go together in the Avalance, but we'll see. I may have to get a sealed tub for the truck to sit in and travel.

Some parts are available now, others are coming in the next shipment. So, if you pre-order one, the parts will be available when your vehicle ships.

man, that looked great. nice writeup Tom. may have to see if i can sneak one of these into the budget soon.

got mine today dropped my 26 in and was in the process of tuning it when it got dark so i haven't ran it yet but here are some pics with its older brother:
5th1.gif
5th2.gif
5th5.gif
5th4.gif

I almost can't wait till the weekend so I can tear up some front lawn :D

Phatdad or anyone here who knows, what size C-clips that keep breaking of the HPI HD variety should I purchase with my kit?

Innovative hobbies has:

Z102 - C CLIP 3mm HD (12pcs)

Z103 - E CLIP E-4HD (20pcs)

Z106 - E CLIP E-7HD (20pcs)

Any other preventive "upgrades" you recommend at the time of kit purchase?

Thanks!

They are the 3mm version. No other spares needed yet. I will know in the next few weeks though, definitely before the 2nd shipment is available for the general public.

Thanks, I will order the 3mm HD C-clips. Also, does the kit without the radio come with any batteries/charger? If not, what type do I need to buy, hump or flat 6-volt? I will be running a Spektrum DX3R with the kit and getting a 4600mah battery for the receiver. Since the DX3R has a built in fail safe, would a secondary in-line type not be needed?

The no radio option comes with servos and a 2x3 hump pack, and a wall charger. Also comes with a fail safe, but your spektrum will be better. Stick with the Baja battery, and change out the plug.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks