Redcat Rampage MT Pro or HPI Baja 5b 2.0

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lenny7118

I'm having trouble to decide between the Redcat MT Pro and HPI Baja 5b 2.0. If I could I'd buy both but can't. What would you get and why , maybe your comments will help me decide. I know the MT pro is 4x4. I'll be mostly dribing it on black top and grass.
Comment on durability , ease of working on, ease of getting help with problems and upgrades, parts availability, etc...

Thanks,
Lenny7118

i would go for the baja. parts are easier to get, its a much stronger and more reliable drive train. looking at both is say the redcat is easier to work on, however you will spend more time working on it then than the baja.

i would go for the baja. parts are easier to get, its a much stronger and more reliable drive train. looking at both is say the redcat is easier to work on, however you will spend more time working on it then than the baja.

Do you have a baja 5b 2.0

Sharkey,have you ever owned a Redcat MT,well i have one and its one of the most reliable rc's i have owned,just because there was problems with the first versions,which is ussually the case with most r/cs when they come out,there are issues that need to be addressed,anyways i have owned both and like them both,it all depends on what you would prefer 4wheel drive or 2wheel drive,i like the Rampage Mt because you can do alot of diffrent things with it like mine,i put 5t wheels and tires on it and the proline 5b short course body,mand it is alot easier to work on then ther 5b,but all of the problkems that they had with the rampage when they first came out have been sorted out and fixed.

IF you get a Red Cat the MT is the way to go as the XB and XT have some problems. I just hope they do not discontinue the MT like they did the TT resiliently.

If you go HPI I recommend the SS kit. One thing is for sure HPI Baja is the number one large scale sold in the world. Parts are plentiful, I have never heard of any one having problems getting parts, HPI customer service is excellent and has the most after market support of any large scale.

Last edited:
i do not have either, im an onroad guy. everything i said is based off what i have seen other people at my track. one guy had a redcat mt, kept blowing diffs up, and breaking drive cups. another has a redcat rally (much the same just different suspension) and he cant get through a full tank of fuel without melting gears or the gearplate. he went to all steel gears, now it sounds like your shaking gravel when he drives it, and the screw on the gear shaft keeps falling out no matter what he puts on it. a second redcat rally showed up at the track a couple times and he had many of the same problems. the bajas that show up don't seem to have as many problems, what i see is breakage from trying to run 7hp motors.

if it were me and i was looking for a 2wd it would be the hpi baja just based on support. any other large scale (with the exception of the losi, but its to new to factor in right now) i have to order parts either from the states, japan/china or germany, so if i was looking at a 4wd (aside from losi) parts support isnt really a deciding factor. for me i think id go with an fg, although im a little biased.

I'm having trouble to decide between the Redcat MT Pro and HPI Baja 5b 2.0. If I could I'd buy both but can't. What would you get and why , maybe your comments will help me decide. I know the MT pro is 4x4. I'll be mostly dribing it on black top and grass.
Comment on durability , ease of working on, ease of getting help with problems and upgrades, parts availability, etc...

Thanks,
Lenny7118

CHECKOUT ALISHANMAO ON YOUTUBE HES THE PRODUCT TESTER FOR REDCAT RC AND HAS MANY VIDEOS ON THE REDCAT RAMPAGE MT PRO 4X4 30cc WITH TUNED PIPE.:w00t:

The hpi baja 5b

I would get the hpi baja. Why!
Better build quality,
very easy to mod & hopup.
You can get new and secondhand parts very easy.
Handle very well.
And wont fall to bits when you port the head and or put a good pipe on it. There very comen for a reason there very good.

But don't get the k.m. If you are going to make it faster. There money pits. But if ya going to leave it stock and just drive it on a feild the k.m. Should be fine.

I for one would get the hpi and spend a bit more at the start rather than keep replacing parts on a km. Alloy and plastic is weak on km. & the pullstart & the recever batt pack is crap in a km. And the red cat is a clone of an mcd. And the km baja is a clone of the hpi baja.

I would get the hpi baja. Why!
Better build quality,
very easy to mod & hopup.
You can get new and secondhand parts very easy.
Handle very well.
And wont fall to bits when you port the head and or put a good pipe on it. There very comen for a reason there very good.

But don't get the k.m. If you are going to make it faster. There money pits. But if ya going to leave it stock and just drive it on a feild the k.m. Should be fine.

I for one would get the hpi and spend a bit more at the start rather than keep replacing parts on a km. Alloy and plastic is weak on km. & the pullstart & the recever batt pack is crap in a km. And the red cat is a clone of an mcd. And the km baja is a clone of the hpi baja.
Apparently you never owned a Rampage either,its funny how people like to make there opinions on what other people think or say,i have a 6 hp full mod motor in mine and its one of the most dependable vechiles i own,and its much easier to work on then the baja,trust me i know i have owned them both.

I've often thought/said that the only way to know what is best is to try it and see for yourself - obviously some people can't do this for what ever reason.

Forums are a world of information, some good, some bad and there is lots of it if from people who just read forums and repeat what they've read - most of them can't even remember their own name.
There are a lot of genuine people on here giving good honest advice/opinions, finding out who is who - now thats where the fun starts.

If you're asking for comparisons, ask someone who's seen both sides.

IF you get a Red Cat the MT is the way to go as the XB and XT have some problems. I just hope they do not discontinue the MT like they did the TT resiliently.

If you go HPI I recommend the SS kit. One thing is for sure HPI Baja is the number one large scale sold in the world. Parts are plentiful, I have never heard of any one having problems getting parts, HPI customer service is excellent and has the most after market support of any large scale.

Are you forgetting the FG Marder based cars?

no offense to anybody, but rampages are heavy,slow ,and junk!!!
get the baja ..if your going to buy a redcat, look at the clones, they are better than cats!!

Are you forgetting the FG Marder based cars?

Are you talking about just FG or all the clones. Are you talking past years or present? This day and age the HPI baja is the number one selling large scale in the world and has been for several years. Yes there are other good large scale vehicles out there.;)

the baja is the number one seller in N.America but not the world...fg sell more cars in Europe in a month than hpi probably do in a year... the size of the hobby over there compared to these shores is at least a 100 fold...

Maybe I am wrong will not be the fist time and will see if I can remember where I read it about the HPI baja. I do know that large scale is much more popular over seas. I just wish they where half as popular here.

Last edited:

Thanks,
Lenny7118

I have personally owned 2 MT's a 5B RTR, SS, and T. I presently run Evo2/3 MCD's.

I prefer my HPI Baja. It's a nice platform with plentiful support, but hardly worry free. The build quality, fit, and finish are better than the Redcat. I would never waste the money on an MT Pro. The aluminum parts do not add durability or tunability to that particular platform. The standard MT will handle pleny of power from mod motors and will perform reliably as long as it has steel gears. Upgrading to 24mm hubs is a must IMHO, and a good tuned pipe like the CPI or JetPro are great as well. People will argue me over this, but the Redcat electronics are trash, replace them with a nice FASST or FHSS system, failsafe, and Hitec 5745/55/65's ASAP.

Ultimately you won't dislike either platform. The Redcat is far easier to work on and more modular, the 5B is a cooler vehicle to run in my experience.

Don't waste your hard earned money on a Pro. Buy a standard MT and a 5B SS for the same money. PM me if you need a list of must have upgrades for the MT.

-Elk

no offense to anybody, but rampages are heavy,slow ,and junk!!!
get the baja ..if your going to buy a redcat, look at the clones, they are better than cats!!
Here we go ,unless you have owned either one of these and have experience,with them ,don't be telling this guy this one is junk or that one is junk,jusy because he said or she said,thats how bad rumours get started about things,there both good entry level cars,i do agree with Elk ,you don't need the pro,its just more weight you don't need,i have a 6.5hp fullmodd motor in mine,and it holds up fine,and heavy and slow huh,there right in there with the rest of the 4wd at 32lbs,and slow,well apparentlythat proves my point,you don't know what the hell your talking about,and never seen one ran.

Here we go ,unless you have owned either one of these and have experience,with them ,don't be telling this guy this one is junk or that one is junk,jusy because he said or she said,thats how bad rumours get started about things,there both good entry level cars,i do agree with Elk ,you don't need the pro,its just more weight you don't need,i have a 6.5hp fullmodd motor in mine,and it holds up fine,and heavy and slow huh,there right in there with the rest of the 4wd at 32lbs,and slow,well apparentlythat proves my point,you don't know what the hell your talking about,and never seen one ran.

Thanks for your opinion and thanks to all that replied.
I agree with your thoughts mostly. lots of bad rumors get started and like you said both are a good entry level 5th scale. HPI has the name brand but still made in China like all other RC's. Its a shame that no USA company is willing to invest in making RC's here.

They can't afford to. While it is a shame, an American worker costs too much to be a profitable venture. Also, the clone cobblers producing KM/Rovan knockoffs stifle any desire a firm might have to pour development dollars into a new and innovative product. The industry as a whole suffers from the cheap products.

Apparently you never owned a Rampage either,its funny how people like to make there opinions on what other people think or say,i have a 6 hp full mod motor in mine and its one of the most dependable vechiles i own,and its much easier to work on then the baja,trust me i know i have owned them both.

Apparently you have not understood what i was saying.
1. i never said anything negative about the redcat as a mate has an oddi in his redcat and its solid.
2.it was the km i said was crap why because my mate had one and by the time he got rid of it it was mostly hpi parts on it thus money pit.
3. don't get out of ya pram without gettin ya facts right!
4.as i said in the post. I PERSONALY WOULD GET THE HPI. MY PREFRENCE.
5. One is 4x4 the other 2wd. one is better one way. but as i like top speed "WOT" I WOULD GET THE HPI.
6. yes the baja is a pain in the ass to work on.
and if someone posts a thread askin for opinions don't pick folt with peoples opinions:nono: add your own 2 cents. and this is all stupid as the post is old and by now he has made his choice. so merry christmas

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks