Should I fix my Baja up?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevens4x

Hi. I have a 5t but saw this group has a little more attendees over here lol

I tried replacing the ring and other stuff and think I really missed something putting it back in my stock Fuelie. (This was maybe 4 yrs ago)...I have maybe half power.

Our Houston shops are just about dried up and I’m wondering should i invest in a new engine? Whatcha think? How hard are parts to find? We still have loads of electrics my kids play with and a couple of nitros but I miss the 5. I have the silenced Victory pipe and it was all just perfect. Could I later on move the engine to a Losi or MCD or whatever’s popular?

Thanks
Steven

Welcome.
I imagine your cylinder was out of spec. I have to say, the only time I have ever changed a ring in a two stoke was on a dirt bike and that had a nikasil plated cylinder. On these little engines, piston/cylinder kits are cheap.
You can get piston/cylinder kits, long blocks, complete engines, and all kinds of upgrade parts at DDM.

Great. Thank you. I honestly can’t remember what I dismantled the engine for. It was my first engine to take apart besides nitros and I’m guessing I was just curious 4 or 5 years ago. Here’s what I ordered in April 2013, maybe you can tell me what I was trying to do lol:

Attachments

• 0E144667-3A5F-4D6B-9A9E-611DCD20919C.jpeg
    0E144667-3A5F-4D6B-9A9E-611DCD20919C.jpeg
    141 KB · Views: 21
Interesting...Was the engine weak when you took it apart? I assume the 0.7mm ring is for the oem piston. If you changed the piston a couple of things may have happened. Perhaps the rings may have been mixed up. The 0.7 mm ring in the 1mm ring groove. The other possibility is the piston was installed 180 degrees off. You can verify that by looking through the exhaust port. If you can see the ring gap, then the piston is backwards.

Throw it out and get a new engine, for $300.00 ish you can get a new zenoah g320. Long blocks are cheaper. There is a few thing you would need to swap off your old engine, but no biggie. You'll already have the time and cost of tearing into that old engine, plus youll(most likely) need a new carb anyway. Just my 2 cents

Interesting...Was the engine weak when you took it apart? I assume the 0.7mm ring is for the oem piston. If you changed the piston a couple of things may have happened. Perhaps the rings may have been mixed up. The 0.7 mm ring in the 1mm ring groove. The other possibility is the piston was installed 180 degrees off. You can verify that by looking through the exhaust port. If you can see the ring gap, then the piston is backwards.
I really can’t remember but it seems like the engine was fine. I really think I just wanted to take it apart and have a look then decided to replace things since it was apart. And thank you I’ll take a look this week and hopefully I can get a good pic and check back in here. I remember something like “squish” confusing me
Disassemble to pieces, inspect and replace what is fouled. The first rule of being a mechanic is to check the easiest problems to fix first. Is the battery charged, are the fuel lines clogged, is the gas bad, , etc etc etc
Totally agree! It’s like that weekly phone call from my parents and I always reply “did u try rebooting?” “Oh that worked, thanks!” Lol

I really can’t remember but it seems like the engine was fine. I really think I just wanted to take it apart and have a look then decided to replace things since it was apart. And thank you I’ll take a look this week and hopefully I can get a good pic and check back in here. I remember something like “squish” confusing me
Squish is the space between the outer edge of the piston and the lowest point on the cylinder dome. If your running too low squish (meaning too much between the piston and dome) it will reduce compression and im assuming power too (someone correct me if im wrong)

Throw it out and get a new engine, for $300.00 ish you can get a new zenoah g320. Long blocks are cheaper. There is a few thing you would need to swap off your old engine, but no biggie. You'll already have the time and cost of tearing into that old engine, plus youll(most likely) need a new carb anyway. Just my 2 cents
This was my thinking too initially to just replace it. When I ran against other guys with fancier engines I had no trouble hanging with them but we’ve lost our lhs and the makeshift track so I’ll be running solo with not much to compare to. But I’d never be unhappy with wheel lifting power ?

This was my thinking too initially to just replace it. When I ran against other guys with fancier engines I had no trouble hanging with them but we’ve lost our lhs and the makeshift track so I’ll be running solo with not much to compare to. But I’d never be unhappy with wheel lifting power ?
I'd buy a new motor. No offense, but you seem to be fairly new to the workings of 2 strokes, so I'd buy a new one so you can get running asap with the least problems ?

Another thought. Would I need a new pipe too if I moved up in size? I know I paid $200+ for mine. If so could I maybe use it if I stayed close to 26cc?

Another thought. Would I need a new pipe too if I moved up in size? I know I paid $200+ for mine. If so could I maybe use it if I stayed close to 26cc?
You said victory RC one right? Is it the sidemount? If so, then your good, it will fit the 32ccs and perform well. Your choice if you want to stay close to 26cc, just not as powerful as a 32 obviously

G320 is the only stock engine or aftermarket I would reccomend. Not that the smaller cc engines are bad I just don't see the pint in getting one of them if your not in some sort of racing spec class.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks