Shouldn't There be Rc Vehicle Insurance?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harold Bascom

20200712_113110.jpg

Getting into an automobile accident here in Georgia where I live scares the hell out of me. Year-before-the-last, my wife got in a fender bender with this woman and before my wife knew it, she's sued for medical damages. Her insurance paid up. Last year, while I was driving home in her Jeep from a parking lot where I was breaking in my new Rovan 5b Baja buggy, I made a bad lane-change, and side swiped a couple in their car. They got some front panel damage, like them, I had the same kind of damages and lost a mirror too.

We pulled into the nearby parking lot and exchanged insurance information as we awaited the police. NO ONE WAS INJURED.

Lo and behold my wife received a notice from her insurance that she was being sued for medical damages for my fender bender. Again, her insurance paid up.

Where am I going with this? From the title of this piece, I'm sure you can guess what's bothering me: What happens if, one day, we lose control of one of these land missiles we drive and it hits someone; or someone's vehicle, or someone's dog; or, God forbid, someone's child?

It is the reason I do limited running on the road in my suburban neighborhood, and the reason I would never run my fifth-scales where children are around. It is also the reason I drive the buggy in my backyard track. It is the reason I always make sure my receiver batteries are fully charged; and the reason I'm putting some money together to get a new transmitter, since on a couple of occasions sudden glitching caused me to lose control with the engine running. And no, it's not paranoia. We all ought to be afraid of fifth-scale vehicle run aways; and even though you might have a killswitch poop CAN happen.

Maybe there ought to be some kind of Rc Car Insurance. What do you think?

Last edited:
We used to manufacture 1/4 scale rc cars and got sued. It was nothing about or product but the guy was runing in a non qualified area (parking lot) and not at a track. Welp because of his stupidity against all warnings and precautions in the paper work we send out. He goes after us the radio manufacture and the tires manufacture. Saying it all of our faults. Was from NY and they can sue you but unless you have an address there you can not sue them back.. We had to get a lawyer and that went on for over a year. My boss never wants to have to go through that again. Wrecked him mentally for awhile.

We used to manufacture 1/4 scale rc cars and got sued. It was nothing about or product but the guy was runing in a non qualified area (parking lot) and not at a track. Welp because of his stupidity against all warnings and precautions in the paper work we send out. He goes after us the radio manufacture and the tires manufacture. Saying it all of our faults. Was from NY and they can sue you but unless you have an address there you can not sue them back.. We had to get a lawyer and that went on for over a year. My boss never wants to have to go through that again. Wrecked him mentally for awhile.
Why did he sue? Did he get into an accident with one of your 1/4 scale cars?

The guy actually hit himself and broke his ankle. So it has to be everyone else's fault but his.
This deserves a monumental "Wow!" I'm sure that most of us into rc have had experiences of being hit or having to jump to avoid being hit by our own rc vehicles. The last time it happened to me, I silently reproached myself for being stupid. But whoever this guy is is unique in his level of "low." Wow!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks