Shroud for reed engines?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tizdaz

Hi guys, over the years I've always used a mesh or outwerwares to cover the flywheel and areas where debris etc could enter that could cause damage.

I've just purchased a Taylor Reed 35cc V2 and noticed that there is no big gap like on standard zen engines, but there are small holes instead for air flow, anyone here run shroud covers or mesh this area off on there reed cases, or do they not bother? if so what method did you use, I tried to fit my outerwares engine shroud from my zen 320 but its far too large for the reed case, so thinking what other option to use, on some of my older engines I silicone some mesh to cover the area, but was messy although did the trick, but on this reed engine I have I don't want to mess it up so looking for a solution that looks clean and does the job if needed :)

cheers!

Your going to have to trim theshroud to fit around that cylinder, you will also loose the anchor point on the clutch side of the cover so it may rub on the cylinder head. Also no a shroud for a g290 does not fit all small block engines. A g290 shroud will fit a 23cc-30.5cc, a g320 is a small block too but uses its own shroud due to the transfer port covers. A zenoah fan cover on the other hand will fit all 23cc-32cc engines.

Your going to have to trim theshroud to fit around that cylinder, you will also loose the anchor point on the clutch side of the cover so it may rub on the cylinder head. Also no a shroud for a g290 does not fit all small block engines. A g290 shroud will fit a 23cc-30.5cc, a g320 is a small block too but uses its own shroud due to the transfer port covers. A zenoah fan cover on the other hand will fit all 23cc-32cc engines.
MIke from Taylor RC said the g290 shroud is the one that fits his 35v2 Reed, should be arriving today so will see 👍

Your right, it will fit if you cut off the front portion to fit Mike's reed engine. An obr style reed that still uses a zenoah based head will still utilize the front mounting point. Engine covers aren't "reed" specific other than a Taylor reed.

Last edited:
ok managed to fit it!

What I will say though, is the "velcro" that comes with these outerwares products is very poor quality considering what they cost!

it struggles to stay stuck to the surface, I had some branded velcro on hand that I already had, so I used this instead and the difference in tack quality is night/day compared to the tack on the velcro that comes with the outerwares, this isn't the first time either, as I've used outerwares over the years and same issue.

But other thank that, the actual quality of outerwares products is spot on comapred to the "cheaper" non branded ones knocking about!
20240307_201503.jpg20240307_202218.jpg
20240307_202446.jpg
20240307_202522.jpg

seals up the area nicely, took a few attempts to figure out best way to fit it, but got there in the end!

Also as you can see pic, the cage at top of spark plug I've cut as the plug was hitting the top part of it, I'm going to use make a roof for it myself to protect it incase of any rolls :)

Looking good Bud 👍
I've only ever fitted two outerwear products, l found the Velcro to be nice and sticky, has come un stuck in two years
Had the motor out a few times, removed outerwears from pull start & crank case, the bit stuck to the motor and round pull start stayed there, didn't yank it off, was gentle, I have a obr turtle racing reed case on my motor, outerwear crankcase cover fit's like a glove

Looking good Bud 👍
I've only ever fitted two outerwear products, l found the Velcro to be nice and sticky, has come un stuck in two years
Had the motor out a few times, removed outerwears from pull start & crank case, the bit stuck to the motor and round pull start stayed there, didn't yank it off, was gentle, I have a obr turtle racing reed case on my motor, outerwear crankcase cover fit's like a glove
good stuff ;) the MCD filter outerwares fits perfect also :)

MMM just like a bug in a rug 😁
Has the weather improved over in sunny UK yet, have you had a chance to run in the Taylor 35 yet!?

Last edited:
I see that you went with what looks like a Bartolone mid bleed pipe, and are selling your Olimat. What influenced that decision? Which one is quieter? I have Dbxl 2.0 and currently deciding on which pipe to get.....

I see that you went with what looks like a Bartolone mid bleed pipe, and are selling your Olimat. What influenced that decision? Which one is quieter? I have Dbxl 2.0 and currently deciding on which pipe to get.....
hi buddy!

yup I'm selling the olimat.

After trying both, the Bart is better suited for my DBXL 2.0 build.

The Olimat is the unsilenced end bleed pipe, its loud (but a nice loud!) sounds more like a 2-stroke crosser than an RC :D But with my dibby being very heavy, (probably almost twice the weight of stock!) i needed a pipe that added more low end torque/power so a mid bleed/silenced is the type of pipe that gives this. To be honest though, there wasnt really a big difference between the olimat unsilenced & the bart silenced in terms of power/torque but rnough for me to notice. For someone using either these on a stock or slightly modified DBXL, you probably would not notice any difference except for the olimat being a little more loud.

Both are excellent pipes, Both fit very easily & both are solid pipes when fit. Im selling the olimat for £150. As you know, its hardly been used (couple of tanks at most) ;)
MMM just like a bug in a rug 😁
Has the weather improved over in sunny UK yet, have you had a chance to run in the Taylor 35 yet!?
Hi buddy

Weather + Improved + UK!? = "Does Not Compute" lol ! ,,,,but that's didn't stop me \o/

Yup, managed to finish breaking her in pretty much....

Sooo... now that the "oooh" factor has worn off, do I still think that the Taylor 35 V2 Reed is worth the extra £££ compared to the ESP Race ported 34?

Short answer.... Nope! :(

Long answer... My Dibby is very heavy (prob twice as heavy as a stock dibby) so any small bore was always going to struggle to deliver the power I wanted for my heavy build. But I really did think the Taylor V2 reed would be the one, especially after speaking to mike from Taylor RC & looking at reviews of this engine etc, but as it turns out in practice, for my self, it's a disappointment tbh.

Don't get me wrong though, the Engine is a nice and very well built engine, it does have more power than the ESP Race ported, but £300 worth more? .... nope :( Maybe in a stock dibby with only a few mods which weighs a lot less than mine, the power difference would be more noticeable, but not with my build unfortunately.

So I'm now left with a few options...

Revert my DBXL 2.0 back to stock & just use "Essential" hop-ups.. For me a big part of the hobby is customization & this means ...lots of alloy etc! some of you prob know about the headaches and drama with the FID parts I've bought and attempted to fit etc! :) if I was racing then obv I would keep the build light as possible, but I'm a builder/basher! I've spent lots of time/money/effort getting my dibby where it is today which I'm happy with! (except for the performance!!). So removing all the work I've done is a no-go.

My old FG was 100% alloy 2WD monster and was also on the heavy side, this had a stock zen G290 with a tuned pipe & it was an absolute weapon, power was excellent, speed was great, could not fault it, which is why I'm kind of disappointed with this dibby as at present its no where near the performance of that with my old FG which was a VERY old design, but to me still one of the best designs, keep it simple as they say!!! Even my recently rebuilt FG Stadium which has a stock Zen G290 & tuned pipe is an absolute animal, I took this out along with my dibby over the weekend, and I had WAY more fun with my FG, than with my dibby. Like I say, I much prefer 2WD over 4WD which leads me to my 2nd option... convert my dibby to 2WD, for me this is really a no brainer and why I didn't think of this already I don't know!?, as I've always preferred 2WD for RC! ...going this route will hopefully give the drive/handling I prefer (2WD) but at same time remove the issue of power as the motor will only be delivering power to 2 wheels instead of 4! so should give much more torque/power off the line ..I've got a diff locker arriving tommoz, my dibby is partly stripped awaiting! So hopefully this will solve the 2 issues for me :)

My other option.. Bigbore. I looked into this originally as I was going to get a taylor 46GT which I'm pretty sure would have easily give me the power I wanted!, but a bigbore will not fit the DBXL/2.0 platform. So this was a no go.

So, there it is, the Taylor 35 V2 Reed, is a nice engine providing its fit in a chassis for which it is suitable for, a heavily modified DBXL 2.0 isn't the ideal build for it!, Considering tis price tag (around £800), I think it's one of (if not THE) most expensive small bore available today? so I was expecting a little more power as like I say, it doesn't really seem a huge improvement over the ESP race ported 34cc!

Would I have bought this engine to throw in a 2WD chassis, Nope.. as I know the stock Zen G290 with a tuned pipe was more than enough power in my old Full Alloy FG MB pro, but I would have bought the ESP as the price on that engine is reasonable & does perform very well (even though I blew mine up somehow!! lol). but I did rebuild it & it is a damn good engine...which is now also sold!

;)

Last edited:
Thanks for the info on the pipe. I forgot to ask another question. When I run, I go for a couple hours at a time. Is it difficult to get into the battery compartment with the bartolone pipe when it's hot?

About the Taylor... I've always wanted to know how come people pay all that money for them, but I never hear about anyone selling a fully modded Taylor. Would that be an option? I assume there's people in the UK that would do it. If you didn't mind paying postage, OBR definitely does custom porting. The biggest engine I've seen in a Diddy is a 45. Wade over at SRE customs builds them. He does up to a 47 on a g320 case so it'll fit into pretty much anything (SRE customs on youtube and facebook). Not sure if he's still taking orders though. But that's a guy working from home. If you want to stick with known people. I would contact OBR and see if they can help. Or maybe there a similar place in the UK. Maybe Taylor can do it this service if you ask...

If you want an engine that's powerful and terrorizes your drive train you need go for a 40cc plus. Porting the engine is only going to give it character and its powerband will just be moved up or down.
afaik a 40cc+ will not fit onto a dbxl 2.0 chassis? i think 35cc is the biggest engine that will fit. (just re-read your post!).

to be honest I'm set now on converting to 2WD and see how it goes, I'm hoping that will solve this issue, failing that, I will more than likely sell up the dibby & go for a 2WD model, although not decided yet as I'm hoping my dibby will be ok after this 2WD conversion! But will probably be either a KM or HPI baja (fully modded ofc! :D ) I do like the look of the KM Triton Blade with a VW Beetle shell tbf! :D

As for the batt compartment, yeh there's still plenty of room to get to the battery section etc ;)

Last edited:
At this rate it wouldn't hurt to be the first?
i was wrong (edited my post) as aelliott70 pointed out a place called SRE customs do them ^^ but ive spent enough now i think on this dibby lol, will see how the conversion goes, failing that, strip it down rebuild stock, sell it & get a 2WD model & start all over! ^^

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks