Somethings wrong...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's wrong...

Lets make it a poll...

Is it the diff...
Is it the lay-shaft gear...
Is it the clutch...
Is it the spur gear...
Is it the pinion gear...
Is it the diff gear gear...
Is it the tires...
Is it a broken trans mount...
Is it the tires grabbing on the body...

Tell me what you think...

There are no wrong answers.. What is your guess???

I will explain what went wrong, when I take it apart... But for right now, I would like to know what you guys think...

Last edited:
I think I know what is wrong, but I will not tear it apart until I have your responses...

**I still have full power, but everytime I hit the "Gas" it makes this sound... It doesn't slow down... It's still fast as always...

It makes this sound if I hold both rear tires while hitting the gas... But it doesn't make the sound if I am "easy" on the gas...

What is it???

Last edited:
Could if be the layshaft gear that are to far away from the diffgear, causing this terrible sound?

or

the clutch is worn out?

Hi Trip, i had the same on my truck so i know what it is for sure...

It is the diff brace lose or engine mount lose causing the mesh between layshaft and diff gear tobe to far apart...

It is the diff brace lose or engine mount lose causing the mesh between layshaft and diff gear tobe to far apart...

So if that is the case, I was right :party-time:

Got any teeth missing on the ring gear?
Npoe

Nope **Edit** You are right!!

lay and diff gear mesh?
nope **Edit You are right too!!

The gerbil inside keeps blowing the shift
Yep, That's it!! :lol:

It's the clutch... It has been getting chattery lately.**Edit** It was not the clutch!!! It was the gap between the layshaft gear and the ring gear!!!

I guess 17 gallons and 2 motors finally killed the clutch! I will post some pics when I get it all torn down..

Good guesses guys!

Last edited:
I thought for sure it was the clutch!!! It was not the clutch! Warq and BTB were correct, It was the gap between the laysaft gear and the ring gear on the diff!!!

Read the edit's above...

Good job guys, you were correct!

Luckily, there was no damage. I am surprised too, because I was hammering the hell out of it!

A motor mount screw came out and allowed the motor to shift. I didn't notice it was gone, until Meli brought it in to me. She found it with the washer!!

When I was running it to make the sound, I swear the pinion was NOT turning... After closer inspection, it was.

Thanks Guys!!

I thought for sure it was the clutch!!! It was not the clutch! Warq and BTB were correct, It was the gap between the laysaft gear and the ring gear on the diff!!!

Read the edit's above...

Good job guys, you were correct!

Luckily, there was no damage. I am surprised too, because I was hammering the hell out of it!

A motor mount screw came out and allowed the motor to shift. I didn't notice it was gone, until Meli brought it in to me. She found it with the washer!!

When I was running it to make the sound, I swear the pinion was NOT turning... After closer inspection, it was.

Thanks Guys!!

Great that you found the problem Trip :) Do you run aluminium engine mounts or the stock plastic ones?

Stock plastic... Everything on my truck is stock, except the servos, servo tray, pipe, motor and front brakes. It's just been such a good truck, I figure why start changing stuff?

I have had the layshaft setscrews come loose on my semi so until I just replaced my gears, I had worse noises hehe.

I still think the gerbil is getting pissed though. try sharing your beer next time

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks