Sparkplug colour

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Speedloader

Hi,

So im done with my first tank with new engine. Carburator settings on WT-771:
L: 1+1/8 out
H: 2 out

Engine: TS Reed case, ESP 30.5 reed ported cylinder.

I think its too rich but with the 3 first tanks it better be too rich.

What do you think of the sparkplug colour?

Reading plugs is a real hardcore science and you need a light magnifier to do this correctly. Reading just the insulator color is not telling you the whole story. All's a dark tan insulator color is telling you is that the plug's heat range is correct. Observing the very tip of the electrode is a better way to get some type of idea how your jetting is. I like to see a slight white ring around the outside perimeter of the electrode tip , if your electrode is black and sooty all the way to the tip that's rich. I also look at the soot around the outer metal body of the threads. When I see black soot that's also rich. I like to see minimal soot. These are just my opinions on how I try to read plugs. I'm NO expert, I jet (or tune) according to plug color, piston wash, and "listening" to the engine tone at WOT. Tuning an RC is tough as you can't "feel" performance losses or gains, you have to more rely on engine rpm sound.

This was from a recent final break-in run on a new CY29cc (stock). This was on a 90 degree day in arizona after approx an hour of runtime. Engine tune was spot on. This is what your plug should look like and get slightly darker (just not like soot) as run time increases.
Sorry for the difficult to see pic. The camera on my phone sucks close up. doesn't zoom in very well.

Attachments

• 20190728_134239.jpg
    20190728_134239.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 22
This was from a recent final break-in run on a new CY29cc (stock). This was on a 90 degree day in arizona after approx an hour of runtime. Engine tune was spot on. This is what your plug should look like and get slightly darker (just not like soot) as run time increases.
Sorry for the difficult to see pic. The camera on my phone sucks close up. doesn't zoom in very well.
Today mine looked like this, still in breakin. 2nd tank.52567

Looks much better. Your still running a little on the rich side but for the first few tanks while you break her in, thats reccomended. Once you break the motor in you can lean out a little bit and get that perfect tune. Just don't lean it out too far otherwise your gonna damage the engine. I generally run two full tanks of fuel (motorsport ms100 race fuel from VP) through the engine and thats usually enough for break in. I can generally get a feel for the engine and tune. Anything more then that I think is just a waste of time and excessive in my opinion. Rings and the motor will settle by then and find its groove, trust me. Luckily, I was also blessed with the natural ability to tune & tinker engines. I know it can be a challange for many or the inexperienced. luckily you have this site aa a good refrence with many on here that have experience with tuning and small engines. Ive always run the hell out of every engine, dirtbike, streetbike, rc car and all the other toys in the garage and haven't had an engine problem yet. In case you have any dounbts in the info Im sharing. Just my 2 cents. Best of luck to you and have fun..

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks