Spektrum Radio Issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RareSolid

Hello Everyone,

I did the muffler mod that Bigger the Better did, and boy does this car have allot of power, now I ran into another issue with the spektrum radio.

I have the DX3, and have everything connected. I have the servos connected to the RX. I connected the DuraTraxx failsafe inline with the throttle/brake server. I found that failsafe would kick in sometimes. So I read about the DuraTrax servos causing all sorts of glitching problems, so I removed that failsafe, and bound the DX3 and configured the fail safe for full brakes on the dx3.

Now it seems that the RX kicks into fail safe all the time, worse then running that cheap DuraTraxx failsafe. I can't seem to get the RX to stop kicking into failsafe. Any one else having these problems? I was told by a hobby store that I did not need to use a fail safe with the spektrum radios.

So far I am not to impressed with this radio. It should not be glitching like this. All my testing has been done on a fully charged battery.

Any help is greatly appreceated. Thanks.

:helpsmilie::helpsmilie::helpsmilie::helpsmilie:

you may not want to read this. but ALOT of folks are seeing glitching and piss poor range issues on the Speky units, inlcuding the brand new DX3R unit. for 360.00 the damn thing shouldnt glitch one bit, especially seeing it is DSS 2.4 afterall.

I would sell it up quickly and buy a Futaba 3PM 2.4 FASST unit personally

See, that's what I've been finding also. It's unfortunate because members here recomended purchasing the spektrum, I did, and now I have problems....

So the radio your recommending, is this what people are using for their cars? For the money we are spending it shouldn't glitch... I am going to check this out right now.

Thanks for the info.

its hit and miss. i see plenty of speky users that don't have any issue that they can see. yet others have them from powerup.

Rare, the 3PM FASST does have a failsafe built into it, and it works well. BUT... you have to program it when you turn it on every time, unless you use all digital servos, so you can run the radio is HRS Mode, which will Keep the failsafes programmed so you only need to set them up once. its the ONE downside i can see to the unit.

Sounds good. I just purchased this radio, along with a fail safe. I think it would be good to have this fail safe just in case.

I searched around about this radio, and people don't seem to have any issues with it.

Thanks for the help, I don't think I will ever use the Spektrum radios after running into the problems I ran into... GRRRR!!:2guns:

I have the spectrum DX3R and run into a few glitching problems and the last I ran my truck it only got about 200 feet from me and the fail safe kicked in. Thats a new one on me, But overall I enjoy the radio just wondering why its doing what its doing?

sounds like what alot of folks are seeing on it Pete. your not the first i ve seen mention short range issues shortly into using the radio, while the guy literally right next to them using the DX3R is haveing flawless fun?

It sounds like a quality control issue thy have. It is a gamble you may have a good one or bad one no one knows.
If you ask me go for the new Futaba 4PK. It is expensive, but it is a FUTABA. Quality is assured. I will get mine in a 2 weeks.

Last edited:
yes i also have had problems with the spektrum. Crazy runaway on the beach, just went out of control and was not at far range. After I got it stopped the failsafe seemed fine so I don't know what issue was. I have also been told by boat guys that they won't touch Spektrum as it dosn't work well with water, something to do with signal bounce, but the tide was way out that day.

I have a spectrum in my hummer and have had no problems with it. I have the DX2.0 and I have 2 receivers with it. I love the radio and my son has the same one and he has no issues with it. Is your radio a dx3 or dx3.0. The early DX3 model had some issues. You could have a problem with the antenna wire if the solder joint is loose on the receivers circuit board or it might be a faulty battery pack the has a bad connection inside and the vibrations are opening the connection inside the pack. You may want to check the on off switch. Bypass the on off switch and connect the battery into the reciever and test it. How many milli amps is the pack.

I believe the pack is 2600; And I should also mention I made a mistake on the model. It is a DX 2.0. I checked all the usual troubleshooting spots and had the same result. I found a couple of things out though.

Test 1: Did not bind the radio, had fail safe installed. Car would be ok, but would sometimes glitch and go screwy. Would do it about 4 or 5 times per tank of fuel.

Test 2: After binding the radio, I removed the fail safe and used the DX 2.0 receivers fail safe, and found that it would glitch constantly. I couldent even drive the car it would do it's own thing. I also found that it took a few seconds for the fail safe to kick in.. NOT GOOD.

Let's see what happens with the new radio. Thanks for the info.

That sucks about your Spektrum. I have the Dx3 and haven't had any issue with it at all. With all of the problems that I seem to read about, I feel like I can't even recommend them!

what you realy need to do to keep you from getting Heart Burn.
is to get a Futaba 3pm Fasst 2.4 gig three channel radio and a diemaster kill switch and after properly installing both and getting them to work correctly you will not have to think about a fail safe because the Diemaster kill switch is the kill switch.
when i had analog servos with the Diemaster kill switch i never set the fail safe.
i also have the Futaba 4pk on two of my Baja's and nether of then have the gfail safe set on them.
3pm or 4pk all the way.

Check your battery. Your battery may have an issue where it is cutting off on voltage causing the fail safe to kick in. Spend $40 on get a new 3200 battery and make sure you have a decent charger.

Glitchin

I have a spectrum in my hummer and have had no problems with it. I have the DX2.0 and I have 2 receivers with it. I love the radio and my son has the same one and he has no issues with it. Is your radio a dx3 or dx3.0. The early DX3 model had some issues. You could have a problem with the antenna wire if the solder joint is loose on the receivers circuit board or it might be a faulty battery pack the has a bad connection inside and the vibrations are opening the connection inside the pack. You may want to check the on off switch. Bypass the on off switch and connect the battery into the reciever and test it. How many milli amps is the pack.
What are you using for servos? anolog or digital? Spectrum DX2 is a FM radio
you should be using digital servos ..But more than likely you have a weak battery,,in your RC Car or Truck Buggy..You need 6 Volt and the most mil amps you can get 3000 or even 4000..Full charged in Transmitter and Rc unit
Go from there...You could also get glitching from interference..spark plug wire
Make sure your wire is snapped on tight..Strange as it my seem a burnt clutch bell or blue in color will do the same thing..It will send a high pitch ferquancy
signal...Check wires for any bare spots with exposed wire showing..seen that happen..Some times the metal throttle or brake linkage will do the same send a signal too your transmitter..Just a few things to look for..Hope all this makes cence..I have seen all this stuff cause glitching..Hope this helps..AKA Slawhammer

What are you using for servos? anolog or digital? Spectrum DX2 is a FM radio
you should be using digital servos ..But more than likely you have a weak battery,,in your RC Car or Truck Buggy..You need 6 Volt and the most mil amps you can get 3000 or even 4000..Full charged in Transmitter and Rc unit
Go from there...You could also get glitching from interference..spark plug wire
Make sure your wire is snapped on tight..Strange as it my seem a burnt clutch bell or blue in color will do the same thing..It will send a high pitch ferquancy
signal...Check wires for any bare spots with exposed wire showing..seen that happen..Some times the metal throttle or brake linkage will do the same send a signal too your transmitter..Just a few things to look for..Hope all this makes cence..I have seen all this stuff cause glitching..Hope this helps..AKA Slawhammer

That is correct. I now it sounds strange but it is.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks