sperera's baja experience begins

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok guys correct me if im wrong but is this a complete list of what i will need to do a full rebuild (haven't included a crankshaft as planning on re-using this.

http://powerslideracing.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_17&products_id=1747
complete top end kit, this will keep it the same as what im running now I believe.

http://powerslideracing.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_111&products_id=1844
two of these

http://powerslideracing.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_111&products_id=2068
not sure if I need one of these but thought I would mention it anyway

http://powerslideracing.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_111&products_id=2070
one of these

http://powerslideracing.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_111&products_id=2071
one of these

http://powerslideracing.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_111&products_id=458
one of these

I think thats about it, not sure if I should get an upgraded base gasket, ill also need to get some gasket sealant coz I don't have any of that.

That rattle sounds exactly like the rattle my baja had....it turned out to be piston pin bearing...worn but not fooked completely..

I wouldn't worry about it too much...you'll know when it's knackered coz you'll lose top end....down low will still be pretty good though...only rattley..

Been down this road 3 times now..not from lack of know how....but from LOTS & LOTS OF USE...

took the fg to a new bmx track, competition one and man are the jumps massive! managed to clear a few doubles but landed nose heavy a couple of times and bent my front roll cage. straighted up easy though so no biggie.

engine rattle is louder than ever but it still screams, going to start the rebuild in a couple of weeks so just need it to hang in there a little longer! :D

spent last week at a mates house, went to another new BMX track, cleared some big doubles until a fat female wombat came over and started complaining about the noise, so that put a stop to my fun, managed to get one vid of it before she came over, try and get it up shortly.

also just ordered everything for my engine rebuild, hopefully get it mid week.

LOL, i should have got the beast out and really given her something to complain. if she thought a silenced jetpro was annoying wait till she hears the VRC un-silenced!

Did you get a chance to upload those vids ross?

spent last week at a mates house, went to another new BMX track, cleared some big doubles until a fat female wombat came over and started complaining about the noise, so that put a stop to my fun, managed to get one vid of it before she came over, try and get it up shortly.

also just ordered everything for my engine rebuild, hopefully get it mid week.

This is what you do. Get a real piece of crap weed whip. Put a rear dom on it. Unsilenced. Then when she starts complaining get out the weed whip and just tell her you will start doing some yard work. She will beg you to stop and play instead. :lol:

still haven't started my engine rebuild, hoping to make a start tommorow, will try to get some pics up on how it goes.

if anyone notices a mistake I make please let me know, first time for me rebuilding, got a mate helping :D

ok finally made a start yesterday, spent 4 hours after work stripping it and guess what it still aint done LOL.

stripped everything and cleaned in petrol, came up like new. got the old crank bearings and seals off, put the new stuff in, got the head etc on, so long block is now completleted. I used the 3rd bearing on clutch side and piston arrow is pointing towards the exhaust, hope this is correct.

Bearings in my large engine mount are totally stuffed so trying to locate repalcements for them now, then should be able to finish off the rebuild. got a bearing shop accross the road that I hope has the right size I need in stock otherwise i wont get it finished before the long weekend.

Didnt get as many pics as I wanted but here's what I took. Pics don't see but piston is pretty scratched up, cylinder is in surprisingly good condition and i found a fair bit of dirt in the crankcase, that black dirt from the show grounds that got sucked in ages ago. Cant believe this engine was still revving fine with all this dirt in there for so long, just a little noisy LOL.

EngineRebuild1Small.jpg

EngineRebuild2Small.jpg

EngineRebuild3Small.jpg

EngineRebuild4Small.jpg

well it looks like the bearing shop doesn't have what I need so the FG is not going to be finished before the long weekend (about to start a 5 day weekend here is Oz) :(

looks like the beast and the slash are going to get a workout!

Well pulled a late shift in the garage last night, finished off the engine rebuild and managed to bolt it all back to the chassis.

Only thing left now is to bolt the roll cage back in which I was going to do last night until I realised my cage is broken and I was waiting on new parts to fix it!

So now I want to start my break in but not sure if I should without a cage!

WOOOOHOOOO! Finally i did something right LOL!

The G290 started second pull on sat, idled perfectly and didnt miss a beat. I ran 4 ten min heat cycles at carrum with a very rich tune. I think one more 10 min run and I can start to lean it out a bit. Going to pull the filter off tonight and make sure all is well but very very happy that I did it right, very satisfying!

:D

decided to have a close look at the air filter and v-stack last night, the run at carrums was very sandy, have ingesting dirt into the old motor i wasnt taking any chances so wanted to see if anything made it past the outlaw.

outerwears was very dirty but surprisingly the outer outlaws foam hardly had a mark on it :-\ im guessing thats because there's not much dust at carrum, its all sand and sand shouldnt make it past the outerwears. inner foam of the outlaw was spotless as always, close inspection of the carby and v-stack also confimed that nothing made it past or around the filters so very happy.

i also injected 20ml of grease into the diffs (each) so that should keep them nice and happy.

just need my roll cage bits and I can start bashing this thing gard again :D

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks