sperera's baja experience begins

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
finally got to have a run with the new tire combo but my run didnt last long. something in the throttle linkage/carby died after about half a tank.

what I can report in my half a tank however is that it no longer rips out of the corner like it used to. top end however is crazy! was racing a mate with a rovan 5b with 30.5 and paddles and was absolutley spanking him in a straight line.

now just need to improve turn in and drive out of the slower corners and I think I could be quite competivie in proper racing :D

decided to start cleaning the baja before this weekend, only did half a tank at carrum on the weekend but was amazed at the amount of crap thats on the chassis, man wet sand is a PITA!

Check out the area next to the fuel tank!

Dirty1Small.jpg

front doesn't look too bad, compared to the rear end anyway.

Dirty2Small.jpg

again cheack out the area next to the fuel tank, cant believe how built up of sand there is.

Dirty3Small.jpg

im surprised you can still see what colour the wing is LOL.

Dirty4Small.jpg

Think im going to put the side plates back on, doesn't help heaps but would make a difference compared to this!

Last edited:
Ok its time to start getting this thing to handle better as we are doing more 'fun racing' of late.

since fitting the 5t rims and tires my top end has increased dramatically however understeer has got allot worse, i cant get the nose where I want it and there is too much traction from the back end.

so anyone got suggestions or ideas on what i can try to get more traction out of te front end and less understeer?

im running FG 2,000wt shock oil all round and violet springs (harderst FG offer) all round. don't run sway bars front or rear either.

Looking how they should.....

you can try softening up the front but that might not suit your conditions....
add some weight to the front...I'm going to try this too also just got myself a anti roll bar..so soon as I get it all built back up I will let you know how it helps

Also changing my front shocks for the uprated alloy ones..

Looking how they should.....

you can try softening up the front but that might not suit your conditions....
add some weight to the front...I'm going to try this too also just got myself a anti roll bar..so soon as I get it all built back up I will let you know how it helps

Also changing my front shocks for the uprated alloy ones..

Hi mate,

What's your caster like? Try moving the front top wishbones all the way back and see what effect this has, or do it a little bit at a time till you get the right balance.

Brad.

haven't put much thought into camber to be honest, might try some front camber and see what affect it has.

cheers.

Hi mate, not camber.......carster....it's the angle of the front hub.

There is a write up somewhere about it, I will try and find it for you tomorrow.

Brad.

finally got to have a run with the new tire combo but my run didnt last long. something in the throttle linkage/carby died after about half a tank.

what I can report in my half a tank however is that it no longer rips out of the corner like it used to. top end however is crazy! was racing a mate with a rovan 5b with 30.5 and paddles and was absolutley spanking him in a straight line.

now just need to improve turn in and drive out of the slower corners and I think I could be quite competivie in proper racing :D

yes it would handle like a pig in/out corners with 5t tires:rolleyes:

Troy

troy i am running the 5 t tires because i was finding the low ride height to be a problem with the FG, on the rough tracks we have here I needed a bit more ground clearance so the chassis doesn't bottom out all the time, plus I was finding current gearing im running (18/46) too low and not enough top end on the straights.

surley with some adjustments/minor changes I could get the fg to handle half decent with 5t rims and tires?

troy i am running the 5 t tires because i was finding the low ride height to be a problem with the FG, on the rough tracks we have here I needed a bit more ground clearance so the chassis doesn't bottom out all the time, plus I was finding current gearing im running (18/46) too low and not enough top end on the straights.

surley with some adjustments/minor changes I could get the fg to handle half decent with 5t rims and tires?

sure m8 you gotta try anything and hope it works they also look good;)

Troy

thanks for posting brad, some excellent info in there!

i don't think caster is adjustbale on the fg's because the upper and lower swing arms are in a fixed position but camber is definetly adjustable, might pay to try difference cambers and see what works.

GET YOURSELF AN ANTI ROLL BAR FOR THE FRONT!!!!!!!!!!

it is awesome not rolled it once since I fitted it.. it is steering better too..
made this afternoons bash go great until my layshaft gear came loose..
:w00t::w00t::lol::w00t::lol::w00t::lol::w00t::lol:

funny you should mention that mate coz that exactly what I plan on doing.

before I go start playing with shock oils and different springs im going to get a anti roll bar kit.

did you install one on the front and rear or just the front?

I only installed the front roll bar..I cant believe the difference it has made to the handling. flat out cornering is now possible without rolling.. it is lifting the front inside wheel too. even slower speed cornering has improved so it is all round recommended

+1 on the front anti roll bar it made a big difference to the marder too. I was given that advise by rossendale models who raced marders before moving onto the leo's.

well im sold, ill be ordering one ASAP

got a delivery from predator today, here are the spur and pinion gears (both hardened steel) that were a fraction of the price of FG gears.

going to try and get them both on before the weekend, hoping my FG gear carrier is compatible with the spur, looks like it will be.

RovanSpur1Small.jpg

RovanSpur2Small.jpg

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks