Stiiffening up shocks, different oil?? What weight?? Any ideas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Splitpin2005

Truck is almost 100% alloy now. As heavy as it is it seems that the shocks struggle now. If i push the truck down it struggles to settle back up to normal height unless i lift the wheels from the ground. Should i just replace the shock oil with standard oil. If so what weight is it. SHould i replace oil with thicker different weight oil???? Or should i do something else. JUst fitting spacers under springs seems a little wrong as only stiffens spring.

Ideas please :)

Havn't messed with my FG suspension yet, but from my previous experience with RC you need lighter oil and or shock pistons with more or bigger holes. Once the shock can move more freeley then decide if you need stiffer springs or not.

Springs are your ride hight. Oil will be your dampening. If you think its taking the bumps alright then just add a few spacers. All plastic models will not fully expand either.

i have 8 shocks, but did wonder about reducing to 4. What ya think. My marder is only four shocks but then its not heavy as is all standard plastic parts.

the monster truck is basicly a marder with big wheels :lol:

my marder is a little over weight and i ended up putting KCR ballon springs on

newpicsofmarderleopard012.jpg

newpicsofmarderleopard006.jpg

now my monster truck ended up with 2.2mm (wire) FG springs :w00t:

instead of the standard 2mm (wire) but i still kept all 8 shocks

fgmtengine008.jpg

mtfront001.jpg

K....

trebor...awsome pics.

Where did u get the metal roll cage? Do they make a similar roll cage for the fg monster?

i made the cage along with the stainless steel gear cover

and stainless steel wing ....the cage is solid 10mm en32b steel bar ;)

marderrebuilt2.jpg

marderrebuilt1.jpg

marderrebuilt.jpg

marderrebuilt020.jpg

:eek:ff-topic: K....

Truck is almost 100% alloy now. As heavy as it is it seems that the shocks struggle now. If i push the truck down it struggles to settle back up to normal height unless i lift the wheels from the ground. Should i just replace the shock oil with standard oil. If so what weight is it. SHould i replace oil with thicker different weight oil???? Or should i do something else. JUst fitting spacers under springs seems a little wrong as only stiffens spring.

Ideas please :)

You are the first person that has ever said "I need stiffer shocks on my FG MT" :lol:

These things are so stiffly sprung stock, (wow say that 5 times fast) I really couldn't imagine it being any stiffer.

Like BTB said, the stock MT's don't pop back up after you compress the suspension either.

But if you are looking for more ride height, add some preload clips.

If the suspension is bottoming out too easily off jumps, go to a thicker oil.

If you are looking for a faster rebound, switch to a thinner oil.

Trebor,

Thats awsome.

Do you have any pictures of how you made the roll cage?

Do u make custom roll cages for special order?

Don't encourage him!!
Just be thankful you were honoured with him climbing up the ladder to the top shelf and removing the dust cover for the photos!!
Fuel tank's never seen fuel don't you know!! :lol::lol::w00t::lol::lol:

Just joking Keith.

Back to the original topic, agreed these things need loosening as much as possible. I've 8 full option FG shocks with alloy pistons - with the nylok nuts. Very smooth action but seal well.
I've tried quite stiff, with 2500 / 3500 Front / Rear, then have progressively softened to 1000 / 1500 now, and it's riding quite well, but nowhere near as smooth as my LST2 and (VERY!!) modified E-Maxx.

If you stiffen too much, you'll never get it to touch undulating ground, and it'll still be just reasonable on tarmac.
I use yellow front, red rear springs with some preload.

Action's smooth.

Al.

What you all say makes sense actually. You never see a lowered land rover or stiffly sprung off roader. Could never keep itin straight line. Softer I shall try. Them gpz shocks from hobbytek any good. They look like the shocks on my marder race. What we think of em?

Al don't forget you have touring car shocks on your monster truck ;);)

and red touring car springs are stiff .......:rolleyes:

either use fg own fat boys are go the whole hog and get Elcon

K....

Keith, no idea to be honest.
Mine are long body Evo04 16mm shocks with long shafts - pretty strange touring car with them I suppose.
Springs are long / aka MT silver ones with coloured paint on.

8-shock set-up.
Whether larger diameter ones would be more supple, I might get around to.
With all of the weight, I prefer 8 shocks to a 4-shock set-up.

Al.

Here's a photo, which may help. I'm 'not in the country' just now, so don't have access to either truck, or the archive of photos I would normaly.

The problem I find with these trucks cf the 1/8 ones I have is that the chassis is wide, the arms relatively short - the opposite to the LST2 I have with a moderately wide chassis for 1/8, but as standard the arms are wide, giving a lot of movement.

Al.

Last edited:
So how do i buy 1500 oil and 2000 oil. Only seems to go upto 40w on mmr largescale shop????????

You want FG shock oil. The 40w at MMR is HPI shock oil. Im sure 1 of them is silicone based (cant remember which tho!) and I read there can be an issue with the o-ring seals if you use the wrong type. Somebody more informed will be along soon to put me right!!!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks