Stripped bevel diff gear ... what caused it??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cougar2465

I have a full allum diff housing and covers and there's lots of grease in the house but some how I managed to stripped the bevel diff gears .... any idea?

Cheers

could be the case but it was so smooth before and didn't feel like it missed one tooth or something when it was put together. I've had about 3 tanks on this car.
Would the changing from 1st gear to 2nd gear does it? I used 46T spurs for 1st and 42T for 2nd and changing to 2nd gear sort of kick the gears real hard that some times make the car go wheelie abit.

Without seeing any photos I would suggest the diff was not properly shimmed, In the alloy diff that I just fitted to my car there was a shim under all four bevel gears or Possibly the diff had been run dry at some stage as this can wear the gears quickly also.

Keep us posted cougar... oh, was the car going hard untill this happened?

No the car was not going hard when this happened, infact it was still warming up on the car park.
There is no shim between the 4 gears and the housing - I also checked in the manual and it doesn't show any shims in the housing... should I put one behind each gears?

By the way, in regards to the second gear pin that keeps falling out, I drilled the whole a bit larger and screw a headless screw (larger diameter than the original pin) in it and it seems to be very very strong now as it has threads where the pin was just pushed in ... still needs to be tested though.

Last edited:
No the car was not going hard when this happened, infact it was still warming up on the car park.
There is no shim between the 4 gears and the housing - I also checked in the manual and it doesn't show any shims in the housing... should I put one behind each gears?

By the way, in regards to the second gear pin that keeps falling out, I drilled the whole a bit larger and screw a headless screw (larger diameter than the original pin) in it and it seems to be very very strong now as it has threads where the pin was just pushed in ... still needs to be tested though.

The closer the gears mesh, the more tooth contact you will have and the stronger your set-up will be...but you don't want them binding.

With the screw trick for the two speed, I tried that and it didn't work for me but I do hope it works for you.

PM sent

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks