Stripped screws!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midwestguy69

My new Km 29cc baja has almost all the screws that hold the bead locks stripped out. The heads to the allen bolts are all rounded out. Man what a nightmare!

Aye i've found that out myself today. :huh:
Got my KM this afternoon and was thinkin of changing the Beads only to have 3 screws which i can't get out on the first wheel i tried, prob just leave the 1 it came with on.

My new Km 29cc baja has almost all the screws that hold the bead locks stripped out. The heads to the allen bolts are all rounded out. Man what a nightmare!

I also thought this was a problem until i figured out that the allen tool I was using was a cheapo... I too changed my KM 2.0 beadlocks...

I switched to a good quality allen found in most hobby stores and VIOLA! those screws did not seem to be stripped any more!

Make sure the tool you are using is a METRIC!!! not a standard... and good quality... this made my job much easier... and the bolts that seemed stripped came out without problems...

On those pesky beadlock screws that will not come out... try using a TORX (star shaped) and find a size that fits snug...

Last edited:
The only problem i've had with the beadlock screws is they keep pulling out of the rim.....so till I get longer ones with a nut on the inside I just fill the hole with superglue and whack em back in.

I also got a complete 423 peice screw kit from Tony's Screws... I think I got it from DDM....

I came with nice hard steel screws and also came with 90 beadlock screws...

Note: The beadlock screws in the KM do not work with original HPI Wheels they are too narrow ....

I also found that #4 sheet metal screws work best... If I could only find them in socket heads... I think SilverBack RC has some that are #4 12mm socket head... that work BEST!!!!

If you have access to a hardware store it would be worth looking for a #4(wood/metal screws) in 12mm socket head screw!

How could the head strip in the screws going in and out of plastic? I would think it is happening because of the wrong allen size?
Ive taken mine in and out several times with no issues.
Is there a chance you could change to HPI screws if they are wider in diameter? Just a thought. :)

Oh ya, make sure you duct tape the foams to reduce the chance of the foam blowing out the tires.;)

I have no clue how they got rounded out. Do they assemble em with air tools? I would think it would be impossible to strip em going into plastic as you said. I'm at a loss.

I need to tape the foam?

Yes yes yes.....tape tape tape.

Preferably material tape (commonly known here in oz as 100 mph tape)

If you don't tape the foams they wiil break....or worse....they can balloon so much the centrifugal force of the foam can burst the tyre.

Dwarfy posted this before.....at about 3.30 the tyre blows.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use three bands one on the outside, one on the inside, and one down the center. If you have the wide stuff you can get away with running one on the outside, inside and then heating them to stick.
If you heat the duct tape with a hair dryer it will sticky weld itself together.;)

I have a set of those grab it screw extractor sets from canadian tire. they work really well actually.

never knew you could put heat to duct tape. I figured it would dry it out. I've seen what sun can do with it on a motorcycle seat ;)

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks