The Bikes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sweet. just seen tower had a couple. i should order one or two for the parts box, but they ll have to wait for now.
looking good Pip

woohoo, thanks Chris for the heads up, got a couple one way bearings ordered now for the DX450 plus a couple other things.

No problem, glad you were able to snag a couple! It was one of those times I thought I'd take a look and they had about everything I was looking for (steering damper, one way, front alloy hub) good stuff!

I've got some one way lube I used on my Aftershock when I had one way bearing problems. I'm going to use the same stuff on my cycle I think.

The rest of my FM1E parts arrived today. I should have it finished this weekend and be able to go burn some electrons. Those bluebird digi servos actually look nice and packaging looks sharp. hope they perform as good as they look...

and after finding I had wire problems in my motor, I know my schulze esc is fine. I did all the mechanical brakes because I thought it was having problems but it was the previous owners' soldering of the motor wires that was getting me. the wires wouldn't tin no matter what... it had like extensions. I cut them off, cut off the plugs and soldered it up. so the extra esc I have coming will go into something else I guess

The bike is basically done now. I just have to solder the esc and bec together, and solder the switch wires together and turf it. I am trying a new bec out. 8-15 amps and has a built in battery monitor. it's a little big but seeing as the esc had to mount on the side the bec went the other. Steering servo is angled and the brake servo is flat. I have a bunch of batteries that need plugs so a production line of soldering is in order shortly. Then I take apart my DX3.0 to instal that lipo.

DSCI0001-5.gif
DSCI0002-3.gif
DSCI0003-2.gif

Thanks Slaw. I made the pivots now. Just about to get it setup on the radio. I found some eyehooks for hanging pictures. Glued the rubber thing and metal insert for mounting servos inside and put a collet on to hold it to the servo horn. once I get it adjusted I'll do a short vid to test the throttle and brakes

I just took it outside for a quick rip. holy crap. it started to sprinkle rain so ground was wet. I can't get traction. anything over a 1/4 throttle and it's sideways. need to tighten the steering a little but otherwise it's ready to set speed records... I think I am going to enable the esc brakes though lol

Well the Turnigy bec didn't work, have to send it back. I had another cheapo bec I tossed in but it's only a 2 amp unit. brakes seem a little soft. and the schulze esc was getting very warm... so looks like it is toast as it thermalled playing around. I have another esc coming to play with and should be here any day. I played around a bit flopping the bike around. sure going to be fast.

I got the esc used in an rc car. the guy was clearing out his rc stuff. I had problems with it when I raced and it thermalled when using brakes. was fine when I just bashed... so I replaced the esc in my racer with a mamba. I built this bike with mechanical brakes because I hate to toss an esc... well seems it wasn't just the loose motor wire after all hehe.

I have a friend fixes my esc's locally but didn't want to touch the schulze because the heatsink is epoxied to the fets. I picked up a traxxas vxl cheap and was shipped locally friday, so it'll be here today or tomorrow. I have to go work today and tomorrow detailing so no big deal. but I think the mamba will go in this bike as the vxl is waterproof and bikes suck in wet

win some you lose some. karma will bite him for pawning off bad crap. he's starting a business. he has avoided my questions... for me, I had a friend sell me an esc for $30 to replace it. good karma. for the seller that sold me a bunk esc? time will tell

I got the esc used in an rc car. the guy was clearing out his rc stuff. I had problems with it when I raced and it thermalled when using brakes. was fine when I just bashed... so I replaced the esc in my racer with a mamba. I built this bike with mechanical brakes because I hate to toss an esc... well seems it wasn't just the loose motor wire after all hehe.

I have a friend fixes my esc's locally but didn't want to touch the schulze because the heatsink is epoxied to the fets. I picked up a traxxas vxl cheap and was shipped locally friday, so it'll be here today or tomorrow. I have to go work today and tomorrow detailing so no big deal. but I think the mamba will go in this bike as the vxl is waterproof and bikes suck in wet

win some you lose some. karma will bite him for pawning off bad crap. he's starting a business. he has avoided my questions... for me, I had a friend sell me an esc for $30 to replace it. good karma. for the seller that sold me a bunk esc? time will tell

People that knowingly sell crap piss me off. I always make sure that when I sell something (especially an rc car) I try and tell the person everything I can about it. Out of probably 40+ cars I have sold in the last 20 years, I don't recall one person calling me back about a sale.

Glad you got it sorted out with another esc!

I am the same and if something is wrong I try to fix it. I tested the new esc and the motor is making a helluva lot of noise. looks like I will be needing a new motor soon too. the velineon esc the reverse doesn't work. I tested it last night but the esc has troubles starting the motor up. odd as the schulze was actually fairly smooth.

swapping the velineon to the ofna tonight when I get home and mamba into the bike. then we'll see

I am the same and if something is wrong I try to fix it. I tested the new esc and the motor is making a helluva lot of noise. looks like I will be needing a new motor soon too. the velineon esc the reverse doesn't work. I tested it last night but the esc has troubles starting the motor up. odd as the schulze was actually fairly smooth.

swapping the velineon to the ofna tonight when I get home and mamba into the bike. then we'll see

I thought about seeing if the Mamba Monster will fit into the DX, I think it would be quite a squeeze with that giant fan sitting on top.

You don't need the reverse though do you? Brakes work?

I have the velineon in my mini revo and it seems pretty good. I think the biggest problem with that speedo is using a 20c lipo. It's not always a really "smooth" take off. I wish I had a 30c to see what that would do.

ya I don't need reverse at all. I have it turned off now, even when at the bmx track... reverse just screws up jumps when it comes on unexpectedly (my poor b44 did a lawn dart because of that hehe). and reverse on a motorcycle? That screams fat guy on a gold wing

A quick test of the bike outside. I put the mamba max in, which is set to 50% brakes, and loosened off the rear disc collet. I also removed the fuel tubing from the front brake cable... now I have to dial some brakes out. I can barely use 1/4 braking. And more power than I can use. 1/4 throttle blips and the front end was coming up. I was holding the tripod in my radio hand. My electric rc radio has the antenna coming out the back, so between a finger on an angle and twisted the camera to sorta catch things... should have just set it on the ground me thinks.

All in all it handles pretty good. I have to thicken the oil in the steering shock some and maybe tighten the spring a bit. has a little headshake but I can only do speed bursts here, not much room. I think if I stiffen the suspension a bit that will help too as it squats a bit in the rear under power. I had run a bit before this and nearly flipped it over doing a wheely then bounced off a curb so trying not to get the front up too high. and set the controller to about half throw or less on brakes

th_DSCI0001-6.gif

We had break in the rain this week so we ran down to a local parking lot at Sungod Arena. I wanted to test out the new Nutech GT5R for it's maiden run, but I brought the Duratrax DX450 along... I love the bike, it takes a thrashing, as you will see haha

I had to run home and unpack a bunch of stuff as we had 3 in my car. I unloaded a few rc's (had the semi and the 2 on road bikes first trip) and boxes, and my camera was in the on road parts box. So my bud Rich filmed with his iphone and uploaded to youtube...

The bike here is on 2s lipo first. I am testing out some new things and wanted it to be a little tame at first. with this new lightened gyro though it wheelies easy on 2s now, on 3s I have a hard time keeping the front wheel down haha. My crash guards are so short from being broken and I just cut it off and stuff it back in. sucks in rough since if you lay it down going slow it sometimes doesn't get back up. still about the funnest rc I own
vids are all still processing so quality might lack at first

Here it is on 3s. I can lift the front wheel at will at any speed. the duratrax steering dampener sure has tamed out all but the lightest of head shake at speed. I try to get some high speed passes without lifting the wheels... and 4 mins the jump off the tree root is hilarious. these bikes are tough

Last edited by a moderator:
Got a great deal at the local hobby shop today. Two brand new rear tires (6 bucks each), 3 packs of stabilizer bars (2 bucks each), and metal clutch shoes (2 bucks). I asked why they were in the bargain bin......no interest from anyone in the DX450.

All that place sells is Traxxas any way.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks