the bug club thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

renbar

theres a few of us now running fg marders converted to bugs now and even more popping upso its time for a dedicated thread just for marbugs so here we go i'll start the ball rolling or the bug rolling as they have a habbit of rolling out of corners lol

my specs are

full alloy build only plasti are a few rose joint left for a weak link
290 zenoah built by oddified +1mm crank lightened flywheel
tuned for max pulling power 6.6hp @17000 rpm
wt 990 chokeless carb
vrc pipe
oddified off road clutch
oddified mk2 ecu
quick release engine mount modded to fit off road
tps 3 layer air filter foam
tps layshaft hydro
fg tuning front cable brakes with big disc conversion
tps hpi adapters
hpi style wheels and tyres hostile and bow ties 2 sets
fg 4 plate adjustable diff
carbon radio tray
carbon front shock tower
20mm fg fat shocks all round with modded alloy pistons
m&r racing roll cage
triple a rear wing
all stainless bolts screws and nuts
4mm homemade plate for front kick up
silverback orange beadlocks on all wheels
silverback beadlock screws on all wheels
stainless front hinge pins with nuts no e-clips
48t diff gear
16t layshaft gear
20/44 gears on gear plate side on tps gear holder

there probaly more but i cant think of it time for the pics

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

My bug was created from this project marder in need of some serious TLC............
Photo1628.jpg
which became a finished bug with a new CY engine c/w DDm 26.9cc ported head kit courtesy of Andy (CSR260) and some liquid assistance.........
Photo1989.jpg
Photo2000.jpg
Photo1792.jpg

Unfortunately it was never run in 2wd guise due to work commitments and a lack of time and I was loosing interest in the hobby, sooooo, to get that interest back (cos I do love it!) I wanted the 4wd kit for my birthday in March 2012 so family & friends bought me vouchers from Rossendale Models to put towards it and as usual, Rossendale Models did me an excellent deal which made it probably the cheapest 4wd conversion kit in the UK :D I must add, the service, advise and pricing is always excellent :D
Thats when the bug was really born using the project 2wd bug as a donor........
Photo0048.jpg
Photo0089.jpg
DSC02010.jpg
DSC02015.jpg
DSC02017.jpg
DSC02197.jpg
It lives (click on pic - short video of first start up!!!!!!) :D:D
th_Video0031.jpg
And it gets dirty...........
DSC02211.jpg

DSC02215.jpg

Spec wise, its running a DDM 26.9cc ported head kit with FG tuned pipe but the rest is completely stock plastic. The layshaft brake has been upgraded to the tuning brake kit coupled with a 15kg Bluebird servo from my 2wd (has been excellent BTW). The shocks are FG adjustable allys at the rear and stock FG rears at the front because the 2wd front shocks are too short due to the front diff raising the mounting height so the 2wd allys wouldnt fit. I went for the stiffer springs at the front which seem to work very well.

Last edited:
oh yes mate i had a budget of £800 quid to build mine lol the red race kit vrc pipe oddie engine clutch and ecu cost me more than that

Took her out yesterday with the new Hpi wheels.

Were i bash, there is a mixture of concrete, for the car park, leading to gravel, and grass, so got to run them on all surfaces.
Madmax Rims with All Terrain tyres, Think they pretty good.

Wasnt sure i'd like the smaller front wheels, as i've always hard large wheels on the front, but i've got used to it, it does handle better, the turns are more responsive, and i can lock the front wheels on hard braking :D

My beetle was a hummer, not a marder :D until i wiped out into a gate post, the bottom hinge / bolt was sticking out, and as i wiped out past it, it hooked into the rear window which was cut out, and ripped it from its supporting post :mad:

It was at high speed and a great wipe out to watch visually.

Decided to go the bug set up, as i like the idea of the tray keeping a lot of the crap out.
A few pics from yesterdays outing, it was much more dirty than the pics show :lol:

Brentwood-20121101-00752.jpg

Brentwood-20121101-00754.jpg

Going to get a keyboard stand for when out for a bash, this is far too low, even for my little legs !!

Brentwood-20121101-00753.jpg

Hummers, beetles, monster trucks, stadium trucks & baja's are all marders underneath mate. Looks like you had a blast :cool2:

To plant a seed in your heads........how good would it be for a bug meet somewhere & have a full day bash, maybe even an overnighter. Maybe we can sort something for next summer.......

great bugs guys but i want to know more about there specs and what your running in them

glyn herbies looking smart mate allways wanted to do a herbie replica but haven't done one yet i also like the idea of a tamiya sand scorcher replica that would be killer

some very nice looking bugs there fellas :)

mines pretty much done now, i may get some cable brakes in the future but for time being the upgraded layshaft is doing the job :)

anyway some pics of my bug which is all alloy with an FG tuned pipe & zen 29cc 4-bolt can be found HERE (i don't want to post em here cuz mods will get there kink stick out for double posting!) but will get some new pics soon & slap em here \o/

cheers :)

great bugs guys but i want to know more about there specs and what your running in them

glyn herbies looking smart mate allways wanted to do a herbie replica but haven't done one yet i also like the idea of a tamiya sand scorcher replica that would be killer
My Bug is pretty much standard, only a few upgrades to mention

Cable disk brakes front & rear
Alloy gear carrier
Vented Harm clutch bell
All steel gears
custom electric box - watertight electronics & switch
Voltage regulator
Kill switch - of course..
HPI adaptors with MadMax wheels / All Terrain tyres

I haven't changed any of the arms to alloy, as the stock ones
hold up really well and more importantly (for me) theirs plenty of flexibility and movement...

Been running this MT for about 5 years with no major issues.

My next major upgrades will be
Alloy engine mounts and a new pipe !

:D

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks