The OMG!! ebay thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm calling shenanigans. I don't think it's a true HPI. The only things that are HPI on that rig, at least according to the pics, are possibly the rims, the front tires and the electronics.

None of the aluminum parts are HPI colors. The shock caps are almost completely round and the notches on the adjustment rings appear shallower than HPI. The shock colors match the A arms perfectly. Do non-clone companies make blue billet A Arms and VVC sized shocks? I don't think so.

The "raw" aluminum parts don't have any oxidation. If the PO had de-anodized those parts, they would need either a non-color anodizing, or they would look more oxidized. If he did custom anodize the shocks and arms, why not the rest of the aluminum bits?

The bolts holding the front chassis plate are incorrect, those are the hardware for a 5T, not a 5B.

The air filter is mashed against the fuel grommet, though to be fair, it has aftermarket brass fittings, but I would wager that it has let some crap into that carb in the least. The pic quality is crap, but I am also no seeing any hint of the HPI embossing on the air filter top cap. The gas cap is definitely not HPI as well.

The rear brakes are torn down, but to the seller's credit, he states that it needs brakes to run. The pipe has been crushed to fit into the rear bumper or has taken some serious rear end-age, but the motor looks like a legit RCMK at least!

My best guess is that this car used to be a 5T clone, but the PO pulled the Truck bits off and re-used the hardware, hoping no one would notice. The fact that there is a Rovan T body and no B shell reinforces my thoughts on this.

If it ever was an HPI, they've replaced too many parts with clone bits to make me believe it.

This is the kind of car I would only consider buying at that price if I had a chance to inspect it in person.

Well to be fair,the guy explains.

"This was given to me by a friend as a gift after he bought a newer RC vehicle.
It has been sitting in garage for a couple months so I decided to sell it.
I don't know anything about these RC vehicles, so all information listed
in this ad was provided by the pervious owner.:

And it was originally 'T' of whatever car it was.

So brakes are for baja. I won a RC lot bid and won those same brakes.
I also have pinion gears/rear End gearset and some other parts I can't use.?

Well to be fair,the guy explains.

And it was originally 'T' of whatever car it was.

So brakes are for baja. I won a RC lot bid and won those same brakes.
I also have pinion gears/rear End gearset and some other parts I can't use.?

That's not at all what I see in the current description: CloneDesc.JPG

I'm not trying to poop on this guy or his listing. I have no reason to doubt his sincerity or lack of expertise. I was just posting my own thoughts on the listing itself. I don't think it's an HPI Baja

I'm calling shenanigans. I don't think it's a true HPI. The only things that are HPI on that rig, at least according to the pics, are possibly the rims, the front tires and the electronics.

None of the aluminum parts are HPI colors. The shock caps are almost completely round and the notches on the adjustment rings appear shallower than HPI. The shock colors match the A arms perfectly. Do non-clone companies make blue billet A Arms and VVC sized shocks? I don't think so.

The "raw" aluminum parts don't have any oxidation. If the PO had de-anodized those parts, they would need either a non-color anodizing, or they would look more oxidized. If he did custom anodize the shocks and arms, why not the rest of the aluminum bits?

The bolts holding the front chassis plate are incorrect, those are the hardware for a 5T, not a 5B.

The air filter is mashed against the fuel grommet, though to be fair, it has aftermarket brass fittings, but I would wager that it has let some crap into that carb in the least. The pic quality is crap, but I am also no seeing any hint of the HPI embossing on the air filter top cap. The gas cap is definitely not HPI as well.

The rear brakes are torn down, but to the seller's credit, he states that it needs brakes to run. The pipe has been crushed to fit into the rear bumper or has taken some serious rear end-age, but the motor looks like a legit RCMK at least!

My best guess is that this car used to be a 5T clone, but the PO pulled the Truck bits off and re-used the hardware, hoping no one would notice. The fact that there is a Rovan T body and no B shell reinforces my thoughts on this.

If it ever was an HPI, they've replaced too many parts with clone bits to make me believe it.

This is the kind of car I would only consider buying at that price if I had a chance to inspect it in person.

It has fully upgraded HPI stickers though!......:giggle::giggle::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

So .....ur saying its Not a hpi then?......??

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks