Torn between 3 engines.... seeking advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am in the same position now. Deciding on what engine to get for my new HPI Baja 5B build. I am stuck between the OBR 34cc fully modified engine, the Taylor 35cc V2, or 34cc ESP ported. Any recommendations or advice for a Baja 5B? Thanks

I've had an ESP 32 or 34 from DDM before (it was a long time ago -- not sure what size it was) on my old baja that I no longer own (it was a great engine). However, I want to try out the Taylor this time. I don't like how ESP engines are merely polished inside and sold for hundreds of dollars more. I like how the Taylor is designed from scratch from the ground up specifically to be a high performance RC engine and is its own platform whereas the ESP is based on a polished Zenoah. I haven't ordered it yet, still have time to decide. Just leaning towards Taylor for now.

Mmm interesting. My esp engines don't appear polished but it seems you knew what you wanted from the get go.
I did not even know about Taylor's when I did my first post here (it was on a different thread). More people suggested the new Taylor V2 35cc and I looked into it. I did a lot of research. I have nothing against ESP's. I owned one before and loved it. Just not a fan of how they polish the inside of a stock Zenoah and sell it for hundreds more. If I am spending that much money on an engine, I would rather get an engine with more work done to it or one that is designed and built from the ground up. Also would like to experience a new platform that I have not used before.

Fair enough for trying something new, but what year did you have the esp engine? Doug has new updated port work as of last year and your right his porting is not as heavy as some but higher compression and a good exhaust pipe is what matters in the end.

I did not even know about Taylor's when I did my first post here (it was on a different thread). More people suggested the new Taylor V2 35cc and I looked into it. I did a lot of research. I have nothing against ESP's. I owned one before and loved it. Just not a fan of how they polish the inside of a stock Zenoah and sell it for hundreds more. If I am spending that much money on an engine, I would rather get an engine with more work done to it or one that is designed and built from the ground up. Also would like to experience a new platform that I have not used before.
I haven't had Taylor, obr or esp engines, only stock Zenoahs, but I'll say this, as someone who has ported several chainsaws, there's a big difference between just polishing a stock engine vs porting one. Polishing, without changing port timing, port size and shape, will do little for performance gains. I'm not sure where you got the information that an esp engine is basically stock with some polishing. Very interesting if that is the case.

With all the issues theve been having with the Taylor engine I'd give it a hard pass. Don't like being a beta tester on my own dime.
The 35cc v2 has been having issues? What kind of issues?
Fair enough for trying something new, but what year did you have the esp engine? Doug has new updated port work as of last year and your right his porting is not as heavy as some but higher compression and a good exhaust pipe is what matters in the end.
It was probable 10-15 years ago. It was an ESP engine I purchased from DDM. It came with all chrome covers and chrome pull start cover as well. Do you remember which one that was? I also did not know he changed his porting recently. Again, I'm stuck between which engine to choose lol.
Does the Bartelone 34cc engine have more power than the ESP 34cc? DDM sells both but the Bartelone one is more expensive. Not sure how these two engines compare.

@zxb466 I've only been in the 5th scale side for maybe 4 years now so I can't say I've seen them. I have all esp engines from 26cc to 34cc and their all rippers, as for bartolone engines their just as good and people swear by both. I myself reserve taylor engines for the big bores as the small bores are just to expensive to initially buy from him. This was a race ported 34cc with a vrc pipe, it was the highest revving engine I had and you can hear it was ripping.

@zxb466 I've only been in the 5th scale side for maybe 4 years now so I can't say I've seen them. I have all esp engines from 26cc to 34cc and their all rippers, as for bartolone engines their just as good and people swear by both. I myself reserve taylor engines for the big bores as the small bores are just to expensive to initially buy from him. This was a race ported 34cc with a vrc pipe, it was the highest revving engine I had and you can hear it was ripping.
Great video, that thing is ripping! Thanks for sharing.

I think you just saved me a few hundred bucks with that vid. Lol. ESP looks to be a great option.

The 35cc v2 has been having issues? What kind of issues?

It was probable 10-15 years ago. It was an ESP engine I purchased from DDM. It came with all chrome covers and chrome pull start cover as well. Do you remember which one that was? I also did not know he changed his porting recently. Again, I'm stuck between which engine to choose lol.
Does the Bartelone 34cc engine have more power than the ESP 34cc? DDM sells both but the Bartelone one is more expensive. Not sure how these two engines compare.
All the production issues, changing vendors etc. The v1 was such a disappointment they rushed to get the v2 out and have had nothing but issues with the casting factory. Taylor has been pretty upfront about this. It not new news by any means. Just means everyone buying one has what amount to a beta test engine. Which ultimately means (to me) I'm not interested in it till all the bugs have been worked out. I've pretty much had this stance for a while. We've even had other members say the bang for buck isn't there vs the esp engine. I'm certain one day it will be a fabulous engine like they are well known for, but that's not today.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks