Torn between 3 engines.... seeking advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
, without changing port timing, port size and shape, will do little for performance gains.
Keep in mind though. If the port has the shape or the size as it came stock that is perfect to work as is. You may ruin a perfectly good running setup. Other ports may need work on but to just go hogging something out or changing the shape because you think it needs to be touched can ruin a perfectly good running setup. Have seen this way too many times. People also think bigger is better or more is better. Not necessarily the case.

Keep in mind though. If the port has the shape or the size as it came stock that is perfect to work as is. You may ruin a perfectly good running setup. Other ports may need work on but to just go hogging something out or changing the shape because you think it needs to be touched can ruin a perfectly good running setup. Have seen this way too many times. People also think bigger is better or more is better. Not necessarily the case.
I never said anyone should just go hogging out ports willy nilly. You have to understand what the port timing, widths, durations, ect means before touching anything. What changing them will do to the personality of the engine. I believe in baby steps and less is often more with porting engines. With that said, if these stock engines were "perfect" out of the box, there wouldn't be several companies getting huge gains from their port work. My point was, if you take a stock Zenoah engine, or any engine, and do nothing but polish the ports, there will be little performance gain, if any.

I never said anyone should just go hogging out ports willy nilly. You have to understand what the port timing, widths, durations, ect means before touching anything. What changing them will do to the personality of the engine. I believe in baby steps and less is often more with porting engines. With that said, if these stock engines were "perfect" out of the box, there wouldn't be several companies getting huge gains from their port work. My point was, if you take a stock Zenoah engine, or any engine, and do nothing but polish the ports, there will be little performance gain, if any.
100% agree

100% agree
Something else I should have mentioned...
A perfect engine means different things to different people. So far, I'm happy with my stock 32cc zen and VRC silenced pipe. That set-up is probably a complete dog to other 1/5 scale enthusiast. There really is no perfect engine for the masses, hence all the choices we have.

I had the ESP 34 Race Ported not long ago, wasn't too impressed with it for my DBXL2.0, lacked low end, sold it, bought a Taylor 35 Reed V2, difference is night/day. Much better low end which was what i wanted.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks