touring car setup nightmare!! spinning out

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

new-fg-owner

hey guys took the car out for a really good run today about 45mins. trouble is think i've set my car up totally wrong was insane as soon as i put the power down the car would just spin out and then once it picked up speed on the straight it would do like two 360 spins. i've losened off the lsd made some difference, now the place i ran it was quite dusty and had loads of grit down from where it had snowed month before!!
furthermore when i had it on full power and turned the wheels the back would just push the car forward without any turn very bizare!?
My setup is as follows, ride height front 16mm rear 18mm front camber neg 1 degree back neg 2 degrees with two degrees of toe in on the rear and one degree toe out on the front! i have the spings very stiff so i dunno if im just running the whole car to stiff? thanks guys any help on if its setup bad or just bad survice thanks

I have learnt so far they are a handfull to drive. im no expert on the 1/5 but you might want to try less rear camber. If its very stiff you wont be getting much roll and the car is trying to force its power through the narrow patch of tyre which is touching the road.
I have also found the road surface wants to be very clean to get and maintain grip...so far I have found even the cleanest looking road to be dirty and trecherously slippery.
the understeer may be a driving style thing or a poor setup. Like a real car it wont turn in if the speed is too high. conversely if the diff is locked it will have a tendancy to push on. what tyres are on the front and rear, what springs and perhaps more front camber if it does roll on the springs and bars. how warm are the tyres getting

Justin

in these 2 runs i done nearly 3/4 tank and destroyed the rear tyres but they were part worn but now there well worn but not done yet there only shot when the tyres off the rim as far as im concerned

I don't think your toe out on the front is helping...

I have run smaller electrics on road and never have I used toe out on the front...

for me toe out has always felt unstable and causes wondering
and with big power always caused me to spin out(like you)

I might be totally wrong here and Guess someone will be along soon to say why..

heey guys thanks for the replys renbar love the car its really awesom to see some video of it running really nice! also thanks to justin and wezg. ya i'm defo going to change the toe out on the front thought id have a see but i defo aggree before i changed it to toe out i never had the pushing proplem i experienced this time. justin i defo aggree i think i've messed something up with the rear of the car to stiff n not able to move around enough. The rear tyres are grp a10 which got hot but only on the inside so shows your thought of to much camber could be correct and the fronts are pmt medium compound and they were totally cold!!!

renbar my engine sounds exactly the same as yours at times it sounds wierd because sounds like alot of rpm is going through the engine but its not throwing the car forward enough which is odd also my car will donought endlessy if i want but is defo less stable than yours when yours goes forward mine would break off easily also mine no matter what i do slightly tracks left! thanks guys its awesom all your replys.

tomoorrow im taking it to a new aldi carpark freshly tarmaced like a race track ill try get some video like renbar.

im not sure on my set up as its how it was when i got it but i know its running a good bit of front toe out and toe in on rear but its flat and stable when flatout

i know one thing about these 1/5 on roads little tweeks make massive changes best thing is change one thing at a time

+1 One change at a time to see what works best..

I used to keep a notebook when I was racing..
i.e changed rear springs ..softer... worked well increased grip no wondering..

more details the better..then in future you refer back to your own notes and problems are quickly fixed..even better when you are returning to the same track after a while away...

your settings will be closer for practice than you were last time in the finals...

just a thought...

let us know how it goes!!

With my comp FG I used to run 7000wt oil in the front shocks, 5000wt oil in the rear shocks and stiffer springs on the front than rear.
I'd have 3 degrees toe in on the rear with 3 degrees camber on the gear side rear and 2 degrees camber on the pull start side due to the amount of right hand corners being more than left handers.
I had 0 camber on the front, maybe 1/2 a degree depending on the conditions with between 5mm and 8mm toe out on the front. Then you've got castor and anti roll bars to play with - this would be tweeked as the day went on.
The droop was 48mm on the front and 46mm on the rear with a ride height of about 14 to 16mm

What you must realise is that the tarmac you bash on is nothing like you have on a race track as the grain size is different and you will get more and more rubber down in certain places as the day or days go on depending on how long the meeting is - Largescale tyres are designed for race tracks so they will not work as well

hey renbar i have to say when i ran my car on a flat cleaner surface down on the seafront here it was less spinny but still a bit skitish i will defo have a look on the link you sent sounds great. i was thinking if your up for a race around a carpark one weekend im down in sussex so only like two hours away? wezg thats an awesom idea im going to start writing down which settings ihave had because if i could remember the ones i was running a few months back i could revert back to that and see. its really cool having you experienced guys being able to tell me what you think its ace. hay renbar i like renbar stickers on the car how did you get those made up?
wazg how long have you raced for thats really cool im thinking about getting into it im buying a contrast neox at the end of this month eek

I raced for about 12/13 years but sadly with smaller scales on and off road..

Mike is your man here for the big cars as he has a lot of experience with FG's too.

I said no front toe and Mike said he ran with 5-8mm of front toe..
it could be that these bigger cars just work differently to the older smaller cars..could be loads of things but as Mike said there is caster/camber/toe weight balance/springs/shock oils/tyre temperature and other thing to take into account..

Hence the reason I kept a book on my cars.
and always test each change.....one thing at a time
If I was closer and could be sure of work this year I would be entering into Mike's FG series of racing ...
I would love to get back into racing.

hey ya i've shared a few messages with mike hes been amazing in advice in me getting the contrast at the end of the month and what to expect getting into racing and expenses involed, its great like having someone who races giving advice is just brilliant so much respect to mike really great guy. i respect everyones advice though its fantastic your advice on keeping the book is a great idea and even though you raced a smaller class its still great advice as i haven't actually properly raced before so i really take on everything you've said.

i'm going to try a few things tomorrow and hope i don't get kicked out of the car park lol its near a big police headquarters so hopefully i wont get told off eek. i don't know why i have a feeling the new diff i put in my car is having a big affect on the cars handling also.

hey renbar i have to say when i ran my car on a flat cleaner surface down on the seafront here it was less spinny but still a bit skitish i will defo have a look on the link you sent sounds great. i was thinking if your up for a race around a carpark one weekend im down in sussex so only like two hours away? wezg thats an awesom idea im going to start writing down which settings ihave had because if i could remember the ones i was running a few months back i could revert back to that and see. its really cool having you experienced guys being able to tell me what you think its ace. hay renbar i like renbar stickers on the car how did you get those made up?
wazg how long have you raced for thats really cool im thinking about getting into it im buying a contrast neox at the end of this month eek

i had a load of stickers come with the car so i butcherd a rc-car-online.de for the renbar but had to make a b out of a d and added the blue i had the oddified and tatshack logos made

and if you prepared to travel your welcome anytime mate,wagon the only other mate i know with a largescale has just brought a project on road so that could be fun a day out at wagon and renbars 1/5 drift school

Throttle control and driving style is also a massive part of the whole driving thing rather than just blasting up and down. try setting out cones with sweeping coners, hair pin bends and twiddly bits then try the "throttle like a switch" approach, then try blipping and finaly feeding in the power and being smooth.

By going to a club and mixing with other racers you will learn much faster,then you can see if the improvements are making you get around faster and under more control.

Trying things just at car park bashing is just fun bashing and improvements can’t be judged as you are not up against anyone.

im happy just car park bashing mate its just good fun no presure go where you like do what you want,now if there were tracks/club around here then i would be racing but its just not posible,plus i want it mainly for drifting so most my changes from now are being based on that low gears less rear grip locked up diff and maybe a gyro for a little advantage

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks