traxxas 1/16 e-revo vxl with 2.4 ghz radio

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well i had not driven the Merv for a long while so a couple of weeks ago me and my daughter took it out the front for a blast in the street around a cul de sac doing some jumps of retaining walls we ran a couple of 2s lipo packs through it having a good laugh, then i put in a zippy 3s for old times sake to let it rip and let my wife have a drive, some thing in the drive shafts or gear box locked up i think it was a rock she tried back and forward a few times with no joy.

I took it out back to test it and start pulling it apart, i gave it a few full throttle squirts back and forward the wheels did not move at all my the motor and esc was hot as the strain i just put on the motor and esc was not good plus it already had been running hard for 30 Min's or so i was able to get the spur gear to spin a couple of times so i tried again (i have my spur gears done up super tight so it was not slipping at all) then it jammed again.

As i was unplugging the battery the esc crackled, fizzed and let all the magic smoke out, as what i did was the best way to fry them, never gun them full throttle while the wheels or drive line is jammed it cause the amps to spike and cooks your esc and having the spur gear locked tight on the slipper clutch so it does not slip will not help either but its how ive ran this since new and most other RC,s ive had with slippers, the drive line in the Merv could take it, i already new the do's and donts, but got excited and forgot how much fun this little things where.

I can not remember but i would be well over 100 lipo battery packs now and the old girl has given me a good run, Ive had it for about 17 months and used it solid for the first 10 months thats a lot of hard driving with hard braking and hard acceleration and driving in extreme heat or cold wet weather, and i believe i stuffed the esc and will take credit for that one.

The stock esc are better then most people give them credit for, they do run hot and you have to gear them down, stock gearing was 28/50 and speed gearing for series nimh was 23/50 by memory, i believe i was running 21/55 with loads of torque and a bit of leeway for the larger heavier rims and tyres that i would only run of 2s lipo,s.

I believe if the esc had not had a dozen full throttle squirts with the drive line jammed up or a bit of slip in the slipper clutch, it still would be going today, so later on i might just buy a stock replacement esc for an easy no fussy swap over as it has only just had a new stock motor installed and i have not done any Merv research for a long while and don't know whats popular these days.

Any way thought i do a quick update and ill put getting a new esc on the to do list, but its a big list right now, i thought of post it up forsale but can not be bothered going through all that hassle and posting it, they are not worth much and it was cranking good fun before i blew it up, so it might live on at a later date.

enjoyed your posts

hey benckie,
very much enjoyed this thread. thx for sharing your merv experiences with us. you are the one who convinced me to start building my erevo last April, 2013 from a rolling chassis. Now it's up and running with 5700kv Castle motor and SV3 esc.

Any updates on yours, did you get it back up and running?

Mines still not running, still has a jammed driveline and a burnt esc, i was still running stock motor and esc, any esc would of burnt on 3s with a jammed drive line, ill most likely sell mine and all my parts as i have been playing with a new Suzuki ltz-400 fuel injected quad, we find that more fun for my family now my daughter is older.

The jammed driveline burning out anything is understood and obvious.
The point I was making was to give an excellent option should you want to continue with.

You've decided to move on - fair enough.

Any ideas why it's jammed?
Gearbox? Diffs? Collapsed bearings?

If its a simple fix it'd probably be a good idea to sort out and sell as a runner?
Al.

Quad sounds like a lot of fun for the family. I'm sure you'll miss the merv once you sell it though! Al, I have yet to test mine in this coming summers heat. I imagine that 3800kv would run cool all day long :).

Quad sounds like a lot of fun for the family. I'm sure you'll miss the merv once you sell it though! Al, I have yet to test mine in this coming summers heat. I imagine that 3800kv would run cool all day long :).

Don't want to 'threadjack' ... I had a Mamba Max Monster ESC doing nothing, so fitted it into my MERV and added the 1410 - then Tamiya Lunchbox tyres with Honk Kong origin alloys - stupid fast and still cool. It 'cogs' slightly, so I'm going to gear down.
Sorry Benckie .. over to you.

Quad will be fun, but take care mate ...

Al.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks