Turtle Racing Snapper Clutch

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do you like the turtle clutch?
compared to the stock clutch on the G320, I think the Snapper is better....Truck takes off like a rocket....but you will find mixed reviews on the internet...

why have you opened it ? was it giving you trouble?
dose look a bit dark:unsure:
No, no trouble.
That Snapper is on the 5ive T...I was taking the truck apart cause the truck needed some cleaning
20180915_220817.jpg
....since i was stripping the truck down anyway...why not open it up to take a look. I noticed some blueing on the disks the last time I had it open.
I have the Turtle Racing clutch carrier on that truck.
For the disks on the clutch to be that dark....there had to be alot of heat generated inside the clutch housing. I'm going switch to an open carrier, maybe the stock 5ive B one and upgrade to the carbon fiber disks for the snapper...that SHOULD take care of the heat issues.

Never tried one are they worth it?
MIP clutch may be a better option...price wise they are almost the same...MIP is around $120...Snapper is is $80 for the clutch and an additional $40sumthing for the basket/clutch bell. Snapper will NOT work with a regular clutch bell.
I've never had an MIP clutch but they are supposed to be REALLY good.
Lauterbacher is supposed to be good clutch and the Winchester Tornado clutch works the same way as the TR clutch does....

I'll find some pro/con videos on the Snapper later.
:unsure:Now that I'm sitting here looking at it and thinking about it...I may have used the wrong size center screw causing the clutch to not sit right..I dunno....:cautious:..I'm about to take the clutch off and check

Last edited:
It needs an M8 screw. 1 is included with the clutch kit and It was the only M8 I had.
Nothing on any of my rigs takes anything that size...but it's needed to take this clutch off.

I gave up looking for it. went out and bought 3 more.
I have a home depot nearby...$0.70 each...no biggie....

20181027_215458.jpg

Now lets take this thing apart to see what the damage is..

M8 screw gets inserted where the center screw would normally go.20181027_230345.jpg

Tightening the M8 releases the clutch from the crank.
That top disk looks worse in the picture than it actually is.

With the clutch off, the crank looks ok.

20181027_230428.jpg

The clutch itself looks ok...only the discoloration of that top disk.

20181027_230520.jpg

From the outside, the 2 center disks, clutch weights, clutch basket, spring perch and springs look ok.

20181027_230608.jpg
20181027_230630.jpg20181027_230543.jpg
Inside of the clutch carrier is ok.

20181027_231347.jpg

Inside of the clutch bell is ok.

20181027_231549.jpg

Outside of the clutch bell shows some wear...looks like it was rubbing the inside of the carrier but its not all the way around the bell.

20181027_231203.jpg

The rubbing happened right in line of where the venting holes are on the carrier...plus there was a very small amount of back and forth play with bell when i took it off..if i remember right that play was there when i put it on too...didnt think it would be a problem.
I just put a shim between the bell and carrier....it still spins freely but the back and forth play is now completely gone. I should have did that before...lesson learned.

Last edited:
It looks like a real serious bit of kit(y)
You rekon improves pull off dramatically.
It may have just got a bit hot from regular use :unsure: go the vented bell carrie route. Put a tlr1(y)

Compared to the stock clutch? Yeah, i saw a difference....BUT...i don't remember what size spring i had in that clutch....could have had something to do with it...as far as the heat...when i first noticed the blueing of the disk i contacted them about it..got a response from DDM....I was told something about gearing it to high or something about changing the engagement....i don't remember...also asked about it on this forum.....back in 2017..
https://www.largescaleforums.com/threads/tr-snapper-clutch-is-blue-and-purple.21863/#post-204556

When i was pulling it apart this evening i did notice one of the second set of screws was backed out a little....the first set set of screws each had 14 turns on them. The second set each had 24 turns...except for 1...it was definitely loose...could have had something to do with the excessive heat..maybe even the rubbing of the clutch bell or maybe the the disks in the clutch are just old.. If you compare the picture from 2017 to the one from today....WTF....but its going on almost 2yrs with that clutch and all of its components. I aint complaining...it just means time for an upgrade.

It only takes 8 screws total and the clutch is apart.

Top 4 screws out and you can remove the first 2 disks..

20181028_020051.jpg

20181028_020437.jpg

Remove the last 4 screws and you expose/access the basket and weights.

20181028_022043.jpg

The weights are kept in place on the basket with a dowel pin.

20181028_023047.jpg

There is a small "heel" on one side of the weight. Heel should be on the outsde of the clutch.

20181028_023348.jpg
Last part of the clutch are the springs and spring perch. Remove the basket in order to access them.

20181028_030308.jpg
20181028_030322.jpg
20181028_030418.jpg20181028_030350.jpg20181028_030430.jpg20181028_030524.jpg
All of the pieces that com in the kit.
It also coms with the M8 screw.
I think the instructios say ther should be a packet of anti-sieze with the kit but mine did not come with any...i got some from the auto parts store.
20181027_221920.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think it looks terrible for 2 years of use(if your as hard on stuff as I am) I'd see if the have some sort of rebuild kit with the disks and chuck her back in. I agree with the vented clutch carrier should really help with heat dissipation

There is a hardware replacement kit with springs weights and more screws. I'm getting that along with the upgraded disks....gonna hold off on the clutch carrier for now. It's not as bad as I thought it was with the Turtle Racing HD carrier.
I have an issue with my 5ive B I want to get sorted out before I place the order for the 5ive T though.

Dirby is that the clutch and bell? What motor is it for 32cc or 29cc? I have been wanting to try it just to see what it is like.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks