USED 5T "New" Gizmo 30.5 motor, Need help tuning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

svxwilson

Hello,
First post here, I have recently revived my 1/5scale hobby in the last few months. I was shopping for a new motor for my Baja5b and ran across a used fully modded 5t with a ton of extras.
So I bought both a new G320RC from DDM (absolutley love that motor) and the used 5T from ebay. The 5t came with a "New, never ran or broken in" Gizmo 30.5 race motor and what I believe is the WT-990 carb (doesn't have a choke).
I ran what the previous owner suggested for a break in, 2 tanks of fuel. First tank at a idle, second tank idle on stand but with some 1/3 throttle engagement. 3rd tank I moved to driving it with up to half throttle.
The 5T with the 30.5Gizmo never ran anything like the g320 out of the box and has been a pain in the ass getting it to run and run well.
I was getting frustrated tuning the carb on the 5T because it just wasnt getting any better. Now I can barely get it to start and feel like I have gone backwards with it. Got so tired of pull starting it I bought the drill start parts for it and still cant get anywhere with it.
Suggestions? The G320 runs so ridiculously good it makes me almost want to buy another one instead of the Gizmo which doesn't seem to want to run.

Hello,
First post here, I have recently revived my 1/5scale hobby in the last few months. I was shopping for a new motor for my Baja5b and ran across a used fully modded 5t with a ton of extras.
So I bought both a new G320RC from DDM (absolutley love that motor) and the used 5T from ebay. The 5t came with a "New, never ran or broken in" Gizmo 30.5 race motor and what I believe is the WT-990 carb (doesn't have a choke).
I ran what the previous owner suggested for a break in, 2 tanks of fuel. First tank at a idle, second tank idle on stand but with some 1/3 throttle engagement. 3rd tank I moved to driving it with up to half throttle.
The 5T with the 30.5Gizmo never ran anything like the g320 out of the box and has been a pain in the ass getting it to run and run well.
I was getting frustrated tuning the carb on the 5T because it just wasnt getting any better. Now I can barely get it to start and feel like I have gone backwards with it. Got so tired of pull starting it I bought the drill start parts for it and still cant get anywhere with it.
Suggestions? The G320 runs so ridiculously good it makes me almost want to buy another one instead of the Gizmo which doesn't seem to want to run.
Try re setting the carb needle settings first

Try re setting the carb needle settings first
I have tried this, 1 turn out on low and 1.5 on high.

I should add the only way I could get it to fire is after you heat the motor with a heat gun (instructions from original owner I thought were ridiculous at first).
Here is the problem child 5T

Attachments

• 15621094795508833523953403271497.jpg
    15621094795508833523953403271497.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
G320R
High needle 1 and 7/8
Low needle 1 and 3/8
Get your plug out have a look dry it if its wet?? if it's real wet in there (flooded) leave the plug over night?? when you come to start prime the bulb until fuel goes right back to the tank?? put the choke on (down ) pull till you hear the first pop and stop?? open the choke?? pull again and it should start???

High needle 1 and 7/8
Low needle 1 and 3/8
Get your plug out have a look dry it if its wet?? if it's real wet in there (flooded) leave the plug over night?? when you come to start prime the bulb until fuel goes right back to the tank?? put the choke on (down ) pull till you hear the first pop and stop?? open the choke?? pull again and it should start???
Did you read what kind of carb I have? The settings your referencing are not for the carb I have. 1 turn out is factory for 990 on low needle.

+1 on the 1107 I love mine. But really I thought the 990 was about the same thing minus the choke... at any rate are toi getting spark? Does compression check out? Have you popped the carb apart and checked for dirt? If the 30.5 was sitting for a wile the diaphragm could have dried out and cracked.. seen weirder things happen.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks