USED 5T "New" Gizmo 30.5 motor, Need help tuning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Factory setting for the wt-990 is L:1 1/8t and H: 1 5/8t. I'm running mine at sea level and it's pig rich on a stock 26cc fuelie (CY), but it does start without much hassle. I would think that at sea level with a larger bore motor, the stock settings would be right on point. At your altitude if your plug isn't wet-ish after 15 or so pulls, you might be running too lean. There's also the chance that the carb is old and the internal diaphragm is dried out and cracked, but mine has been sitting for 5 years and isn't having an issue, Maybe I got lucky. Could also be that you got one of those older engines where the cylinder plating was crap, and it's now completely hammered on the inside.

I would go this route, if I had two motors in my shop:

Yank the Gizmo exhaust and check the cylinder with a flashlight for any obvious cylinder plating damage.

Check the ignition coil for spark. Compare with the G320.

Change the carb from the Gizmo to the G320 and see if the G320 exhibits the same problems.

If the G320 runs fine with the 990, which it should. I would pull the head off the Gizmo to get a closer inspection of the cylinder and piston. It could be a plating issue, but it could also be the head gasket had a weak spot, or the head bolts weren't torqued down correctly and running just above idle created a leak. If that's the case, a $6 head gasket should get that puppy ripping along.

Best of luck!

Change the carb on the 5t to one with a choker. If you werent so far away I would suggest a trade. My MTXL drowns if I as much as look on the choker and pull starting it behind my back is getting old. For reasons that escapes me, I do not know why some engines just need a choker and others do not. The whole heatgun quagmire suggests to me that yours might be one of those that need one.

@anubis. Those fuellie engines are crazy good. I don't know what mojo they put in them besides painting on their logo but the one I have in my 5T/S hybrid is positively ancient (10 years old at least). It has been used for racing at one point and for bashing with another owner and its the least troublesome of my two gas engines. no matter the condition, 2 pulls and its ready to go. Every time. The MTXL engine, whatever it is, is a headache but great once it gets going.

@Thrasher agreed on the super mojo with the Fuelie engines. I've heard nightmare stories about the 2 bolt CY engines for years, and don't understand at all how the my "Fuelie" CY motor is so damned hard to kill (wife won't let me get a G320RC until I do). I've even run mine with the spark plug hand tight in dusty conditions and the damn thing just refuses to die. If it had more HP and TQ, I don't think the aftermarket in motors would exist! Truth be told, when I upgrade to a G320, I'm only buying a long block and transferring everything I can from my Fuelie, because I know everything on that engine is indestructible. Granted, my carb, exhaust, and clutch are aftermarket, so there's only a couple extra parts I will need outside of the long block. Just want to move some of that magic HPI mojo to a new motor build. *shakes HPI voodoo doll*

@svxwilson I know back in the day, (circa 2009) Gizmo was modding Zenoah and CY motors, but was also selling modded RCMK motors. Do you know which one you're running? Circling back to the cylinder plating, the first gen RCMK car motors had a massive problem with the plating flaking off in the lower half of the cylinder, which not only lost power, but made them a complete beeyotch to start. If your plating is fine, put your carb back to stock settings (L:1 1/8t and H: 1 5/8t ). You don't need a choked carb to choke it. Just take a ziplock bag and close it around your air filter as best you can and squeeze out as much air as possible. Give a few pulls of the cord, pull the bag off and give a few more pulls. It should turn over after that.

If the Gizmo is still giving you fits, just bench that sucker and save up for another G320. Or take @Thrasher up on his trade offer and see if you can get some magic out of his carburetor.

Last edited:
I've even run mine with the spark plug hand tight in dusty conditions and the damn thing just refuses to die.
:LOL::ROFLMAO:

I didnt offer to swap engines but carburetor. Some of them have a choker and the more race oriented ones haven't. And I am not sure why tbh,

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks