Warning - BZM 26cc in a Losi 5ive t - not a good idea

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike1970

Do they work???? Simple answer is no. At the Euros last week 2 highly respected UK drivers were running the BZM engines in the Losi 5ive buggy conversion and to say they had issues would be putting it mildly.
Terrible over heating was the first problem and bear in mind they practice heats were only 8 minutes long. After attacking them with a dremel to remove more than half of the carbon cover they were still pants, they ended up putting a standard 26cc zenoah in one buggy and an Evo tuned 26cc zenoah in the other, at last, they worked well - to be honest I thought the buggy looked very good and with a decent engine, they were quite quick too.

BZM look fancy but if the haven't got the chuff to do the job - they become a £650 paper weight. If you're going for a race engine anywhere in the world, go for one that the racers use, they will serve you far better.

Ive never liked those bzm's even tho i have never owned or used one
When you keep hearing so many bad reports about them like im reading now:lol:it makes you wonder

Im a Zenoah man and always will be, I know im getting a working reliable engine wether its in stock form or fully modified,
I believe you cant go wrong when choosing a Zenoah;)

Troy

Ouch! My buddy picked up a BZM and would not start from day one. He called me for help and it turned out just to be a air leak. But for that kind of money and hype, it should start out of the box.

I make no secret about my thoughts towards the basher engine tuners from various parts of the world including the UK but things like this just strengthen my thoughts and the fact that I'd suggest any race engine tuner over others. Take Steve from Evo tuning for example, nobody could say we're best drinking buddies by a long way but I would and have recommended his engines over any basher tuner - 2 reasons - 1 the results speak for themselves and 2, the service and back up is very good.
I always use Oddified engine because I think they're best and thats what I would always suggest over anything else, ask Ian to tune an engine for a purpose whatever it may be and He'll do it.

i 100% agree mike when chosing my engine i was tempted by the bzm but the silly price put me off,,,, then i started talking to ian for a good few months about prices specs and he came good infact he done more than i asked for including adding parts i never asked for including a +1mm stroker crank and lightened flywheel free of charge which was a big suprise,,im not sure on what i was expecting being my first brand new engine but mate he delivered the goods big time and for the money i don't think i could have beaten it or got any better for my needs

Do they work???? Simple answer is no. At the Euros last week 2 highly respected UK drivers were running the BZM engines in the Losi 5ive buggy conversion and to say they had issues would be putting it mildly.
Terrible over heating was the first problem and bear in mind they practice heats were only 8 minutes long. After attacking them with a dremel to remove more than half of the carbon cover they were still pants, they ended up putting a standard 26cc zenoah in one buggy and an Evo tuned 26cc zenoah in the other, at last, they worked well - to be honest I thought the buggy looked very good and with a decent engine, they were quite quick too.

BZM look fancy but if the haven't got the chuff to do the job - they become a £650 paper weight. If you're going for a race engine anywhere in the world, go for one that the racers use, they will serve you far better.

Mike I'll say you are very creative. Not to mention badly informed.

The engine's were replaced due to with them being fitted in the Losi buggy conversion they were over weight for the EFRA 4x4 class.
They did initially suffer heat soak bit that was mostly set up issues that were ironed out.

Darren won't be running LS again this year.

But Jimmy is going to be running the BZM in his full losi SC for the rest of the season as he got it dialled in before they needed to be removed and was very pleased with the performance.
His exact words. It's much better than the stoker!

No manufacturer is perfect.

BZM can't avoid minor problems things go wrong. But we fix them.

Anyone needs assistance with a BZM problem. Please email BZM micro.

[email protected]

Last edited:
1/2 a kilo heavier than a standard zenoah, chopping lumps off them to try and stop them over heating, not a smooth engine it's on or off. "Dialled in" who's being creative now?

I'll say something for you, my hat is taken off to you for being a great salesman.

The fact is, I was ther and you weren't. All the major tuners attended the meeting to support their drivers.

1/2 a kilo heavier than a standard zenoah, chopping lumps off them to try and stop them over heating, not a smooth engine it's on or off. "Dialled in" who's being creative now?

I'll say something for you, my hat is taken off to you for being a great salesman.

The fact is, I was ther and you weren't. All the major tuners attended the meeting to support their drivers.

The engine is heavier than a Zenoha. Not 500g though.

The airflow in the buggy conversion was an issue. It's not a problem in the Losi SC. And wasn't such a problem once the windows were cut out.

I was going but when I found out they couldn't run them no point.

The engine is heavier than a Zenoha. Not 500g though.

The airflow in the buggy conversion was an issue. It's not a problem in the Losi SC. And wasn't such a problem once the windows were cut out.

I was going but when I found out they couldn't run them no point.

I couldn't imagine why any representitive of a manufacturer/tuner wouldn't be at a major event especially when their products were on show - maybe saving face?

i think most sensible people going into racing would use a stock zen or a tuned 'race engine' as said, i guess when it comes down to the fact the've been tried and tested and have results to back them up then its all there on paper. i guess keeping up with tyre choice, shock settings, travelling , competition etc you don't need the added stress of if the engine will be reliable.

the bzms might iron out their problems over the next year or so, i heard about the cracking pistons by a few people ( some may not know how to set a carb?)
well have to wait and see. Ive had no such problems with the OBR ,running strong and never overheats and its tuned for max performance on the carb.( within safety) been very reliable. and also think i wouldnt of got any more power for the money,
i watched one of stevos( evo tuning ) videos of when he first tried porting one of these engines, he was surprised of how well it went after he built it, it wasnt from that long ago either.

Last edited:
Over heating is only an issue if you don't have enough air getting to the engine.
That applies to all engines. I can safely say that a Zen or CY would have been cooked and not recoverable where a BZM due to component and material selection keep on going.

Pistons are no longer a problem. That issue was sorted out sometime ago. The micros still use a machined 36mm piston.
The TT uses a Ikeda domed piston. Both pistons use BZM's own 36mm piston ring or a BZM chrome ring can be used also.

The 50's use BZM's own pistons and the micros will have BZM pistons also at some point.

i ran my bzm in the losi yesterday nice sunny day 26 deg.

20 minute practice
3 x 10 minute heats
30 minute final

never missed a beat , started everytime ,no lack of power , no over heating

thats a 28.5 TT with bzm pipe

i reckon my brakes got hotter then the engine

i ran my bzm in the losi yesterday nice sunny day 26 deg.

20 minute practice
3 x 10 minute heats
30 minute final

never missed a beat , started everytime ,no lack of power , no over heating

thats a 28.5 TT with bzm pipe

i reckon my brakes got hotter then the engine

Awesome.

But........

How can this be possible?

And I quote.
Do they work???? Simple answer is no.
No need for an apology. I understand your impartial position.

A deliberate slur against one product to promote another........

Not classy at all.

Kind Regards.

Gareth.

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks