What adjustments would you make ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it was me I would try a little more neg camber at the front and try standing the front shocks up before changing diff fluids. Possibly less front droop so the front does not lift as much under power.
Thank you for input. I was out racing today but it lightly rained in morning so track was in great shape with lots of grip & great handling, the only problem I had today was front diff unloading a few times, The times I lost today was because driver mistakes, not so much setup so I'm staying with the diff oil I have in it for now. Track is usually on dry & louse side so next Sunday racing I will probably start playing with set up more. I like your Idea of standing up shocks & less droop. Even though I have been racing for a few years I'm just starting to play with set up.

racing is a constant struggle if and when you start to do well.

you find your speed where you are consistent and are doing well but still not fast enough, so you try to push harder and end up crashing, so you then think a setup change will help, so you change setup and then sometimes it will help ever so slightly but sometimes you start going backwards! its all part of it.

But in my opinion nothing works better than practice.

I personally found at my local track that after x1 sat practice day of taking notice of what lines I could take fast and what lines I had to slow down for I started to make it into the A main instead of lower finals on the race days after that x1 practice day!.

don't get caught up in setup is my advice, as yes it can help but not as much as track time will.

also your mind-set changes when you start to do well, from just having fun to wanting/expecting to do well every time you race which in turn takes all the fun out of the hobby if you ask me.

I have not been practicing as much this year as I used to and now its like everyone at my local track has got better and are starting to do better than me, but the fact is that they are racing more than I have been this year.

so practice practice practice its a vicious circle :ROFLMAO:

you find your speed where you are consistent and are doing well but still not fast enough, so you try to push harder and end up crashing, so you then think a setup change will help, so you change setup and then sometimes it will help ever so slightly but sometimes you start going backwards! its all part of it.

I personally found at my local track that after x1 sat practice day of taking notice of what lines I could take fast and what lines I had to slow down for I started to make it into the A main instead of lower finals on the race days after that x1 practice day!.

don't get caught up in setup is my advice, as yes it can help but not as much as track time will.

also your mind-set changes when you start to do well, from just having fun to wanting/expecting to do well every time you race which in turn takes all the fun out of the hobby if you ask me.

I have not been practicing as much this year as I used to and now its like everyone at my local track has got better and are starting to do better than me, but the fact is that they are racing more than I have been this year.

Good advice jim?

You have a good point about not getting caught up in set up. I agree 100% with you about practicing. You can have the fastest best handling rig on track but if you can't drive it, you will never win a race. Thank you for your input it is appreciated.

A few things that will help a track vehicle turn better are to increase tow out. This setting makes the corner entry more aggressive, but makes it wander slightly on the straights. Toe in pushes through corners but tracks better in a straight line. softer springs can transfer weight better if your landings will allow you to go softer. Thinner oil can do the same thing somewhat. Your camber links, or Roll Center, can be adjusted both front and rear to help achieve the desired results. I would read into roll center and try to to raise rear roll center or lower front roll center to get the car to rotate faster, start with front. Also try a softer sway bar in the front, remember the stiffer the sway in the front the more it will push. Another tip is to actually break for the corners and use the final amount of break to lock up the rear tires to help pitch the rear around the tighter corners. Corner entry speed is extremely important on these vehicles even 1 mph or 2 can cause the car to push in the corner vs grip and rotate. What tires are you using? What is your track surface like? What type of soil are you on? All these make a difference.

A few things that will help a track vehicle turn better are to increase tow out. This setting makes the corner entry more aggressive, but makes it wander slightly on the straights. Toe in pushes through corners but tracks better in a straight line. softer springs can transfer weight better if your landings will allow you to go softer. Thinner oil can do the same thing somewhat. Your camber links, or Roll Center, can be adjusted both front and rear to help achieve the desired results. I would read into roll center and try to to raise rear roll center or lower front roll center to get the car to rotate faster, start with front. Also try a softer sway bar in the front, remember the stiffer the sway in the front the more it will push. Another tip is to actually break for the corners and use the final amount of break to lock up the rear tires to help pitch the rear around the tighter corners. Corner entry speed is extremely important on these vehicles even 1 mph or 2 can cause the car to push in the corner vs grip and rotate. What tires are you using? What is your track surface like? What type of soil are you on? All these make a difference.
Thank you for input. The part of track that I'm trying to get more speed is the big sweeper. When the track is damp & tight I can hold down to pipes & stay on the tail of the person in front of me but when it gets dry & louse, I can't hold as tight to the pipes at the same speed as the person in front of me & he was using same tires I'm using. His set up did seem softer, so I am switching to lighter oil in shocks & lighter front sway bars today for Sundays racing & then on Sunday I might try some of the other adjustments suggested by you & others. This summer I plan to start making a lot of different adjustments one at a time & put back to stock then try another, then try combining some of them, just to see what each ones dose. Have been racing 1/5 scale a few years now & was happy with stock set up because I won more then I lost but now there are more people starting to come to our track & some have been racing RC for years & knows set ups. If I'm not happy with rig, I can always go back to stock, also if nothing else experimenting with set up will get me on track more & more track time is the best way to get faster. Again, Thank you for input.

When the Track goes from good to Loose I usually reduce rear toe angle and add a little front toe out. This helps rotate faster. I also make sure to brake harder for tight corners and use some of the speed to whip the rear around slightly. For a sweeper having a litter heavier front and center oil will help, use the front to pull you through the corner, don't just hit it wide open and hope it will turn sometimes you need to fineness the throttle. What springs are you on now? Are you still using the 30wt shock oil? I really like the stock shock build as it works good all around. Just and FYI MOD racing is coming out with a shock piston and valves for the Losi shocks that will mimick his MOD shocks which are amazing btw.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks