What diff is this / Exploded diagram!?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tizdaz

Hi guys!

I want to rebuild this diff from my FG Monster, from the outside it looked like just an Adjustable diff, but when i opened it up the gears fell out as expected, but what i didnt expect is the springs!?

just before the gears fell out i noticed these springs that were slid onto the center shaft of the diff, but with all the washers etc i have no idea how this thing goes back together or where to place the washers!? ive looked online but cant find any FG diff that used these springs?

Any ideas & even better if someone can post a link to the actual diff exploded diagram! ..long shot i know :(

20231128_022239.jpg20231128_022301.jpg

Cheers!

20231128_022259.jpg

heres pic of all the internals which consist of:
4x spider gears (2 with square and 2 flat)
2x large washers
4x small washers
1x center shaft
2x springs

20231128_023800.jpg
i just noticed there are also these 2 square pieces that sit inside the top/bottom of the diff

20231128_025759.jpg

also just found this of an MCD diff that uses similar method with springs!? this is how they were in this fg diff but no idea how it all goes back together :(
http://www.largescalerc.com/021005s0-mcdlimitedslipdifferentialreplacementinnerspring.aspx

Last edited:
think ive worked it out & rebuilt!

Im guessing this diff auto locks its self? ie: the more rpm the more the diff spins forcing the springs to press against the spider gear which in turn will make it more stiff etc? ..i guess it works same way as a clutch?

anyway here it is rebuilt all cleaned up & rebuilt, i just need to add some silicone, but ive noticed there is a little nick in one of the seals! :( ...typical!

20231128_055157.jpg

I think your missing some stuff, those springs I don't believe belong in there. That diff doesn't get any diff oil as it would be defeating its purpose. Limited slip diffs are torque activated and they only lock up when torque is applied and unlock off throttle, really ment to help navigate tight turns as an open diff and become locked when the car is straight and on the throttle for 4wd stability.

Yea but your still missing critical parts that make it an lsd. At this point you have an open diff and the parts you posted will not make it any closer to a properly working lsd.

Those springs would need to hold the spider gears back and as they lose the fight it would start to lock up but you would need friction pads to make it lock. Those spider gears are set as they will not get closer or further away to lock and unlock.

https://rc-car-online.de/en/product...al-self-locking-fourfold.html?standardseite=3

Yea but your still missing critical parts that make it an lsd. At this point you have an open diff and the parts you posted will not make it any closer to a properly working lsd.

Those springs would need to hold the spider gears back and as they lose the fight it would start to lock up but you would need friction pads to make it lock. Those spider gears are set as they will not get closer or further away to lock and unlock.

https://rc-car-online.de/en/product...al-self-locking-fourfold.html?standardseite=3
Hi buddy, i contacted the guys at hobbythek, they confirmed the parts i posted are all i will need to make the diff as it should be?

ok so after further investigation..this diff *was* a fourfold diff, but for some strange reason the original owner did this to it!?

Anyway, ive decided to make it into an adjustable locking diff, the same as this: https://www.tps-racing.com/products...al-conversion-adjustable-locking-2wd-set.html

ive ordered the parts i need (i already have the spider gears/casing etc) so the parts cost me around £40 in total. This will sort the diff finally :)

ok parts came & i rebuilt the diff, its now as it should be with all the correct parts for the Adjustable Diff. Took her out for a spin today, working great! ..infact the power is insane, i forgot how much fun a 2WD is, im just running a stock zen 29 with a samba pipe....love it!! ..cant wait until i get my new shell or sprayed etc, im also going to get rid of the 8x shock setup and use single shock setup.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks