What does a Reed do?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a reed changes the way the motor can breath, more specificlly inhale.

on a normal motor, as the piston makes it cycle from the bottom to the top at fire, just as the piston closes off the intake track, it starts drawing fuel mix into for the next burn. it can only draw fuel for a small percentage of the cycle, say 34% (not sure on exact number but this one isnt too far off i think for an example) of the cycle its pulling fuel in. some of the mix inadvertantly gets pushed back out the intake track, loosing some of the mix to be burned on the next cycle.

a Reed induction uses a reed pedal, much like a saxophone does. once the motor starts the draw cycle, bringing fuel into from the carb, everything is the same, except the reeds seem to allow for more fuel to be pulled into the motor. im sure this is a combo of things, like the additional porting needed to get a reed to work up to its potential. basically it draws fuel for around 65% of the cycle, opposed to the 34 i posted above (again im guessing on numbers for an example).

anyways, once the piston starts to move up, instead of pushing some of the new fuel charge back out the carb like the piston port motors do, the Reed pedal is closed, so it doesn't allow for much of any of the charge to excape. this also creates a bit more case pressure which helps force more mix into the combustion for the next burn.

a reed case tends to go thru the fuel a bit faster than a piston port, but porduces more power, more top rpm, and has a more responsive throtle.

If your asking if the 813 will increase power by itself then no it will not. It will allow more fuel to flow from low to mid range which allows your motor to use the power that it looses due to a lack of fuel in that area from the stock carbs. Just being a smart arse on the wording.:laugh:

i would stick to a 668. the over all fuel flow is better than the 813. the 813 can help lumpy motors off the line, and do well for added low punch on higher end motors, but overall, the 668 passes a bit more fuel on the topend.

Also....if you are a throttle blipper like a lot of us are....you can potentially flood your engine......making it a female dog to restart.

A decent tuned pipe normally gives a wicked power band......adding a reed kit+ a reed ported top end will amplify the power band to somewhat ridiculous proportions.

Also....if you are a throttle blipper like a lot of us are....you can potentially flood your engine......making it a female dog to restart.

A decent tuned pipe normally gives a wicked power band......adding a reed kit+ a reed ported top end will amplify the power band to somewhat ridiculous proportions.

now if we can only pass rediculas and go right into Ludicrist, possibly even perposterous... lmao

How about PSYCEDELICALLY INSANE:clown:

We might be able to achieve this by replacing Nitrous Oxide injection with Nitro Glycerin injection

Last edited:
ya, installing just a reed cage/ case helps, but unless the topend/piston and case if need a reed case, has been ported for use for REED Induction, you ll see some very strong gains.

depending on what you want, and how much you want to spend, you have some VERY good options with a Reed setup.

Trevor Simpson and ESP probably make 2 of the best running, and strongest performing reed case motors available.

Quite a few builders are working from the TS reed cases and haveing great results.

i just had my TS/ESP 26 converted over to a TS/ESP Yamafied 30.5. and yes, i can notice the differance just from the 26 to the 30.5.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks