What grade of fuel do you use?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eddy,

You know I don't have a sense of smell (or anyother senses really) but I know the coleman fuel still has a smell of it's own. As for oil mixture - yes, in fact it's even more important with the camp fuel as there is NO oil at all in it compared to the wee bit found in gasoline.

I'm just using valvoline 2-cycle oil in my fuel. Makes the fuel look gray.

-Michael

I may have to give it a try. For the first time ever, my wife made a comment about my RCs. She doesn't like the gas smell in the garage. We don't have any other gas powered goodies so I couldn't blame it on something else. She is so great about not bothering me about my hobbies that when she does mention something Is in my best interest hear her.

Ill assume I would use the same oil mixture?

I get the same thing from my Wife...I keep my truck in my computer room so the smell is very noticeable. I was thinking about tring coleman but was a little hesitant, but what the hell like other people have said before the heli guys use it in those very expensive toys for years with no problems.

I ran coleman today...I didn't notice any difference in performance...if anything it seemed to have a faster take off. And its sitting right next to me with no gas smell...:celebrate:

I ran 2 tanks of it yesterday. I can compare it to gass.. (NOOB) but it seems to run fine. Starts on the first pull. It does have a smell but nothing like gas. My wife thanked me for removing the gas can from the garage.

Yeah I even asked my lil lady about the smell and she said she couldn't smell it at all and my FG usually sits right in the kitchen.

-Michael

I've always used VP or CAM2 100 to 105 octane in all my 1/4 scales for 12+ or so years. Now I'm using the same in my 1/5 scaler, Baja. I also LOVE the smell, it brings me right back to the track....:)

Anyone know if there is any difference between different brands of camp fuel like Coleman or Ozark? I've been using the Ozark brand from Wally World without any problems.

i don't think the differance is much. both white gas. i have a gal of Ozark, but ive yet to mix it up. will do though when i get the snow to melt.

I run 91 octane. It's probably the highest octane pump gas we get up here, or at least that I have seen. It should do alright with the esp 30.5 engine I have. Just need some nice, warm weather to lite the fire, and get her running for the first time.

I don't think Ill go back to gas after ive been running Coleman for so long. Its so nice not to smell like a lawn mower.
But I don't see any harm in doing it.

Ah, hm.
Y'see, the thing that made me ask is that I went to the Canadian Tire website looking for "camp fuel" and it shot up with Coleman Camp Fuel, which was tagged as Naphtha (correcting my own earlier mistaken spelling); and is thus why I asked.
Googling around a bit (which I probably should've done to begin with, really) I've found that Camp Fuel, White Gas, Naphtha, and so on, are and aren't the same thing and/or related. yyyyeah.

Anyway, according to this site:

http://www.ultralight-hiking.com/fuelnames.html

That which is comprised of 60% Hexane & 40% Heptane is white, aka colourless, and is known as White Gas or Naphtha, or several trade names depending on the Nation of location, including in North America, Coleman Fuel.

Further, there are notations on the same site that describe Coleman Fuel as being much less volatile, containing such things as Naphtha, making it much safer to carry around in your backpack as fuel for cooking. Specifically, the MSDS lists Coleman fuel as follows:
Solvent Naphtha 45-50%
Aliphatic Petroleum Distillates 45-50%
Xylene 2%
Toluene 2%

White Gasoline apparently is much different; just gasoline with no additives, and thusly much more volatile than Coleman Fuel.

And with that, I'm now even more lost than I was before. eeesh.
So, hm. If I buy a can of Coleman Fuel here in Canada, and one o' you fellows buys a can of Coleman Fuel somewhere else, in the U.S. for example, are we each buying something completely different?
What is the difference between Coleman Fuel and White Gasoline, and if there is enough of a difference to be concerned with, where would one acquire White Gasoline as opposed to the standard-issue Pump Gas that comes spewing forth from the local gas station?

Not to be a wet sock or anything, I just want to be sure I'm understanding correctly.

Directly from the Coleman website:

What is Coleman Fuel?

Coleman Fuel is basically petroleum naphtha with a bit of rust inhibitor. It has an octane rating of 50 to 55 and none of the additives found in gasoline. It has a lighter molecular weight than gasoline, kerosene and diesel fuel and cannot be used as a substitute for any of those fuels.

The flammability of Coleman Fuel is comparable to gasoline but it cannot be used in gasoline engines. It will burn out the valves.

Source: http://www.coleman.com/coleman/faq/faqreturn.asp?question=37

-Michael

beauty is, We don't have Valves Persay. Another Reason to BOYCOT any 4stroke movents comeing our way imo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Timmahh I Bought Some Ozark Fuel To This Past Weekend At Walmart I Wanted To Try It Over Weekend But I Didnt Get A Chance Ive Been Running Vp C-16 And C-12 Racing Fuel In My Baja And Quarterscales With Amsoil Dominator ,927 Castor ,blendzall Green Castor Oil. No Problems Yet Vp Makes Rs-7 Racing 2stroke Oil Synth.they Claim This Oil Makes The Most Hp. Than Any Other 2 Stroke Oil .

I'm on my second tank now and I've been using coleman fuel with valvoline 2-cycle motor oil and have been very pleased with the results. Once I burn up a gallon of this I may try switching oils just for the fact others seem to like the Klotz and 927 oils better.

-Michael

You cant go wrong with changing to a good oil.I would highly recommend it in fact.Who knows if that stuff can take 18000 RPMs????(Over time)
The better the better lol.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks