What grade of fuel do you use?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I switching to Klotz (already have a quart) after I run out of my Yamalube.

What does a gallon of camp fuel cost at walmart? I'm having trouble finding any online.

around 440/gal

yamalube is actually pretty good, but the Klotz just smells Soooo...

im almost out of my AmsOil Pro Saber 100:1 mix. works GR8, but the Klotz is actually cheaper for me.

I am using the Premium stuff out of the bowser... I think its 98 octane (yes by Australian and UK octane... no US)

Then some Koltz from DDM

I LOVE the smell of Koltz, smells like proper racing fuel

This subject has been on every gas helicopter forum I can think of, over and over like the subject of two stroke oils.
Analyzed and debated.

Camp fuel myself.

Good thing theres always a new person coming into this part of the RC world to keep discussing it with.
T

I am running petro canada premium unleaded (I'd have to go look up the octane) and synthetic oil. Bought a new gas can when I got the oil. Cost isn't a big issue as I get amazing runtimes on the track anyway. the track is tight so you can't use a lot of throttle... I get an hour plus on a tank
I finally ran a tank almost empty and saw some serious power. going to lean it just a little now...

Ok, finally ran out of petrol and now have a gallon of Coleman. Do you guy's keep it in the metal can or pour it into the plastic fuel can and mix it in there? I was at 25:1 with the petrol with no problems. I take it I should mix it the same and just make sure to mix before pouring?
Thanks,
BTB:)

id use plastic, heard of possilbe seperation if stored in metal, not worth the chance if you aske me.
T

Ya, I remember now you saying that before about the chance of separation. I also asked over at the Baja forum and have mixed int eh plastic can.
Thanks,
BTB:)

From what I've read the Colman will last stored up to 5 years.
I've just gone through a tank of the Colman and wow the whole yard smells like tiekie(sp) lights well without the citronella. And no smell in the basement. I'm liking it. Oh, and for those who say its more $$, the price of gas is catching up.:cursing:

Update on my Coleman use.

After running Coleman for about 3 gallons I found there was no noticeable difference on the 23cc of the Baja, in fact it looked to run better. On my 26cc it seemed to bog more for some reason and needed to be leaned a bit to run the same as on gas. I am going to switch back to my non ethanol blended 25:1 mix with my new top end. I did not find any problems with running the Coleman and many swear by it. I know our engines do not have valves but not sure the removal of the additives is a good thing? It also seems that it would run hotter due to its molecular weight/octane and maybe that is why on the smaller hobby engines they run better. Would you honestly even hear a ping with no valves? I think you would just get less energy from the mixture and never know it causing higher temps. I am no scientist and only know what is available in print.:blush:

Here is what the Coleman Company told me:

What is Coleman® Fuel?

Coleman® Fuel is basically petroleum naphtha with a bit of rust inhibitor. It has an octane rating of 50 to 55 and none of the additives found in gasoline. It has a lighter molecular weight than gasoline, kerosene and diesel fuel and cannot be used as a substitute for any of those fuels. The flammability of Coleman® Fuel is comparable to gasoline but it cannot be used in gasoline engines. It will burn out the valves.

An un-opened container of Coleman Fuel stored in a dry area with no rapid extreme changes in temperature will remain viable for five to seven years. An opened container stored in the same area will remain viable for up to two years though will be at its best if used within a year.

Do not attempt to use Coleman Fuel in an internal combustion engine. Coleman Fuel is very low octane with none of the additives needed for engine use. It burns very hot and will burn the valves out of an engine.

For disposal methods of Coleman Fuel that may no longer be viable, please contact the Hazardous Material department of your local Fire Department.

Thank you,

Sally

Coleman Consumer Service
1-800-835-3278

I use regular unleaded. I tried coleman camp fuel and didn't see a difference. The smell was awful, gas is much better. Plus running diesel in my H1 makes me miss regular gas more. :clown:

I also run Colemen fuel now and have had zero problems with my FG Monster Truck.

In fact I used to store the FG MT inside the house when I started to use gas and my girlfriend was about to kill me because of the smell, after I switched to Colemen she couldn't smell the truck at all.

-Michael

A nice tip regardless what you run in it.

When you bring it inside the house cover it up! I store mine in my basement and cover it using a bicycle fabric cover. This keeps the smell down if not un-noticeable. It's also great if you have a hatchback/van or suv to keep the fumes to a minimun while you're driving.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks