What should a 1/5th Scale gas RC Repair/Maintenance/Track Toolkit Include?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
8mm-14mm 1/4" socket set, 1.5mm-8mm Allen sockets and wrenches,small hammer,flat head screw driver for tuning,needle nose pliers,good set of small cutting pliers,zip ties, 24mm socket for wheel nuts, spare spark plugs, 6" 1/4" extension, 1/4" swivel helps alot, blue loctite,red loctite, 7mm-13mm combination wrench set.

A butane torch/soldering kit comes in handy at times, especially for those bolts with loctite. A couple of precut pull start cords and/or pull start assembly. Channel Locks come in handy as well. I also have a can of Brakleen and Zep 45 penetrating oil. I often bring, IIRC a 9.6 volt hex bit driver with various bits and adapters.

Over time one will realize what one really needs. At the end of the day, it sucks to call it a day, when it either just started or started to get fun only because of a missing tool and/or spare part.

Most RC's come as a kit and have this info. Even a FNG can use this as a starter toolbox. With experience your kit and the quality of tools will get better. You learn a lot on what tools you really need when you crawl for hours in the rocks and realize your 1/2mi or more from the truck. Tools Needed.JPG

It is kind of trial and error so to speak. I am constantly adding things and deleting things I find I don't need.
It is hard to keep it at a minimum and have everything you need. I hate to overpack but don't want to get stuck behind the eight ball and not have what I need.

Surprised it hasn't been mentioned. I don't run on tracks so i just walk and drive as the terrain dictates. Then lyes the fun in fingering out how to drag a 35+lb RC hundreds of yards back to the vehicle.

So, maybe one of these expense $25 ones. As admitted i am a cheap arse so a $10 ski rope works for me.
Tow Strap.jpgTow Strap cmbscx10.jpg

All great suggestions! Thank you.

Is there a universal but good quality screw/nut kit that people recommend? I see DDM sells a complete screw kit for the Losi 5T or the Baja 5B but not sure if its worth paying that much for them to keep as spares in my tool kit. What is everyone's thoughts?

Surprised it hasn't been mentioned. I don't run on tracks so i just walk and drive as the terrain dictates. Then lyes the fun in fingering out how to drag a 35+lb RC hundreds of yards back to the vehicle.

So, maybe one of these expense $25 ones. As admitted i am a cheap arse so a $10 ski rope works for me.
View attachment 93026View attachment 93027

Cheap in some areas = more RC money. Brilliant.

do not cheap on on the tools you buy because that will just lead to headaches. buy once cry once. MIP makes great hex bits, best i’ve ever used. For the rest of the tools such as wrenches and pliers you can do whatever your favorite tool brand is. As time goes on you will need more tools and your tool arsenal will grow. A small torque wrench isn’t a bad idea. A small drill and small impact will also be very helpful.

I bought an 18in tool bag from Aliexpress for $8 that holds all my tools (MIP for the hex drivers, went cheap on everything else), spare parts, electric screwdriver, spare plugs, batteries,etc. no problem. My electric screwdriver is a Dewalt motion sensing type. Squeeze the trigger, and twist right, it will tighten. Turn left, it will loosen. Works great.

As far as what to keep in your bag. I've been just buying as I go. If I need it, I buy it, then It goes in the tool kit. I run my car with a bunch of guys who've been in the hobby for a while, and what seems like a hardware store in their car. But it they help me with something, I make note of what tools they used, then I go make the purchase. Like a butane soldering iron. You can solder wires back together, but more importantly, it also works great as a torch to break loose those red loctited screws when working on your rig out in the wild.

Speaking of screws, I keep all mine, unless damaged. $3 plastic 9 compartment box from harbor freight works for me. When I make upgrades, those parts usually come with their own screws. Save the old ones. I bought an extended kit. It came with it's own dog bones/pins. I took out the pins from my old dog bones.... using the torch I just mentioned. If you happen to be in the Los Angeles area, there's a place in Covina called King Bolt. All they sell is nuts, bolts, and screws. You can take them a a screw and they'll match it. Bring them a part, and they'll find the screw that's supposed to be in there. Since starting this hobby, they know me very well lol. But anyway, if I need a screw for something, I don't buy one, I buy 3 or 4. Doing this kind of thing is how I'm building my spare screw collection. Almost ready for my second 9 compartment case

I saw what people were saying about tow ropes. Most definitely sucks to drag a heavy car any distance. I bought a dog leash from Dollar Tree for $1.25. They also sell a 2 pack of carabiners for $1.25. So for $2.50 got a great tow rope. Keep it in my pocket while bashing. (Pic below)

Rc_tether.jpg

Thank you everyone for all the wonderful ideas. I have taken them down as notes and will start adding them to my RC tool kit. I have it almost complete. I will post a pic here when finished.
I also ordered some cheap 1 inch paint brushes from amazon so that I can wipe the dust off when cleaning hard to reach areas.

I am putting together a portable 3 drawer toolbox for RC repair/maintenance/track use and was wondering what are some tools people have as a part of their RC toolkit setup?
Sockets. Deep style
Hex keys. With ball end. ,metric and imperial
Electric bit driver
Med loctite
Butane torch
Small hammer
Pick set
Verniers
Screwdriver's

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks