DBXL 2.0 What should I know before I get the Losi DBXL 32cc 2.0?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hqabuggy

looking at buying one new, anything I should upgrade right off the bat or should know? Already buying a super bee kill switch and a larger battery box.

The 2.0 hasn't been out long enough I'd think for upgrades to be produced and or someone to run it long enough to necessitate the need for upgrades.
I just purshed the Magnaflow color scheme not but a week ago. Ohhhhhh and let me tell you...right off the bat.
1.) Need to upgrade the radio IMHO
1.) Both Servos Gotta GO!! NO AND'S IF'S OR BUTT'S "THEY GOTS TO GO"!!
2.) Check all 4 shocks...You Don't have to replace them...but they do need be checked. Mine are horrible
3.) Highly important...Gotta get a Kill Switch.
4.) Need to do some front nose body work. It touches the top part of shock caps....gotta trim a little off.
5.) Need to get engine protection "Outerwears" gettcha some...same goes for the "Shockwears" shock protection.
6.) GO TO TOWN!! The possibilities are endless..."AFTER" you do the fist five things I listed.

I just purshed the Magnaflow color scheme not but a week ago. Ohhhhhh and let me tell you...right off the bat.
1.) Need to upgrade the radio IMHO
1.) Both Servos Gotta GO!! NO AND'S IF'S OR BUTT'S "THEY GOTS TO GO"!!
2.) Check all 4 shocks...You Don't have to replace them...but they do need be checked. Mine are horrible
3.) Highly important...Gotta get a Kill Switch.
4.) Need to do some front nose body work. It touches the top part of shock caps....gotta trim a little off.
5.) Need to get engine protection "Outerwears" gettcha some...same goes for the "Shockwears" shock protection.
6.) GO TO TOWN!! The possibilities are endless..."AFTER" you do the fist five things I listed.
What servos ought I get?

That's up to you my friend. I'm going with the Reefs Beast 2000 for the steering...for the throttle either the Hitec D845WP or Losi S901T. I believe the S901T comes standard in the 5T 2.0.

That's up to you my friend. I'm going with the Reefs Beast 2000 for the steering...for the throttle either the Hitec D845WP or Losi S901T.

Would the reefs beast 2000 be a plug and play or would I need additional parts to do the swap?
That's up to you my friend. I'm going with the Reefs Beast 2000 for the steering...for the throttle either the Hitec D845WP or Losi S901T. I believe the S901T comes standard in the 5T 2.0.

And would I only need one of the servos or 2?

Being the Beast 2000 needs it own power source a S3 Lipo battery and a power regulator...as insurance.
Please don't get me wrong you don't have to do any of these things...but in the long run. I believe it will pay off.

What filter do you use for your pull starter? I've got one for the crank and intake but not sure what will fit the starter

Confused Trailer Park Boys GIF

The reefs beast 2000 wouldn't be my first suggestion due you stating that it needs an external power source, I would recommend the hilantronics 8000 servo for steering. Also it is a very strong steering servo as well as having a built in failsafe if the servo loses power or catches radio interference not to mention it doesn't need any other battery other than the receiver battery.

The reefs beast 2000 wouldn't be my first suggestion due you stating that it needs an external power source, I would recommend the hilantronics 8000 servo for steering. Also it is a very strong steering servo as well as having a built in failsafe if the servo loses power or catches radio interference not to mention it doesn't need any other battery other than the receiver battery.
Thank you +1
Will that servo be plug and play or will I need to modify anything else?

Last edited:
That's awesome...the Reefs Beast 2000 is the servo of choice I'm going with. Two very important factors 1.) Torque and 2.) Speed. I'm sure the Hilantronics is a great servo just not for me. I look at it as I'm driving a 35lbs to 38lbs RC car I need a servo that can hanlde that weight and give me the edge I need...for me that's the Beast 2000. I'm pretty sure there is a "pleathera" of 1/5 scale servos that are just as awesome even cost lest than Beast 2000 but from what I've seen and read the Reefs is a big win IMHO.
This is a great thread. I'm new and picking one up in the next few days I hope. Have a 5T years ago and sold it off.
Congrats your gonna love it! It's a great RTR but there are few things to look out for with the new 2.0 version.

Last edited:
@Javi75 I am aware of what "your" going with, my 5t weighed 42 lbs and used the stock steering servo so again your opinion and need for a overkill servo is purely on you and if you can afford it great.

As we say around here is first run the rig and then see what you need. And to be honest your wasting money on that servo and a strong servo helps you at low speeds, if that servo is very strong and its fast you will be finding yourself slowing the speed down on the transmitter which in turn will be another indication of a waste of money.

Please do not school me on the servo, thank you, ENJOY THE FORUM.

i don't got one but suspension is all fu***d up from the factory. Like its so wrong the only real solution is to swap whole shocks.
I planned to buy one but decided not to dump 1600€ in car that has way worse stock suspension than chinese clones.
Highly recommend this playlist where german guy goes in depth if your interested, he speaks german but you can use yt translation and can understand more than 80% from it translating into english.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLOAizCKbgJMTLf7RLjBFPySBDP3GTZ1MJ
Overall seems like the best part of this buggy is engine.

i don't got one but suspension is all fu***d up from the factory. Like its so wrong the only real solution is to swap whole shocks.
I planned to buy one but decided not to dump 1600€ in car that has way worse stock suspension than chinese clones.
Highly recommend this playlist where german guy goes in depth if your interested, he speaks german but you can use yt translation and can understand more than 80% from it translating into english.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLOAizCKbgJMTLf7RLjBFPySBDP3GTZ1MJ
Overall seems like the best part of this buggy is engine.
That guys a clown, plain and simple. He hasn't even run it (n) and he doesn't even know that 5iveT springs fit, which is common knowledge ever since the V1.

They're the same shocks that are on the brushless version, they're not the same as the v1 DBXL gasser, there is nothing wrong with them
The rears are too soft, front not too bad. All you need is Losi 5iveT front springs all round, Red or orange, red is the stiffest, followed by orange, and also 50wt oil (stock is 40wt). That's my suggestion based on experience, being the owner of a few dibby's, both gas and electric ever since they were first released
@Javi75 I am aware of what "your" going with, my 5t weighed 42 lbs and used the stock steering servo so again your opinion and need for a overkill servo is purely on you and if you can afford it great.

As we say around here is first run the rig and then see what you need. And to be honest your wasting money on that servo and a strong servo helps you at low speeds, if that servo is very strong and its fast you will be finding yourself slowing the speed down on the transmitter which in turn will be another indication of a waste of money.

Please do not school me on the servo, thank you, ENJOY THE FORUM.
Couldn't agree more. No need for a 1 million KG servo lol

@hqabuggy just get youself a killswitch and outerwares, and run it until something breaks, then upgrade those parts. Until then don't worry

Last edited:
That guys a clown, plain and simple. He hasn't even run it (n) and he doesn't even know that 5iveT springs fit, which is common knowledge ever since the V1.

They're the same shocks that are on the brushless version, they're not the same as the v1 DBXL gasser, there is nothing wrong with them
The rears are too soft, front not too bad. All you need is Losi 5iveT front springs all round, Red or orange, red is the stiffest, followed by orange, and also 50wt oil (stock is 40wt). That's my suggestion based on experience, being the owner of a few dibby's, both gas and electric ever since they were first released

Couldn't agree more. No need for a 1 million KG servo lol

@hqabuggy just get youself a killswitch and outerwares, and run it until something breaks, then upgrade those parts. Until then don't worry
Yup got myself a MOD kill switch, buggy comes in the mail in ~3 days. Got shockwares, crank cover, pre filter, and gonna make my own DIY screen mesh for the frame. Also gonna throw an FPV camera on there because, well, why not.
Also, in the case that I go all out and buy new wheels and tires - what wheels are known to fit the new dbxl? would I be safe buying wheels that fit the old DBXL?

Last edited:
Back