What vehicle should get the 'scale' treatment?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thrasher

I want to see more 'scale' vehicles in large scale. I mean, not just a tub with a weedwhacker and a lexan hat but something closer to what the trail/crawling crowd gets to enjoy. What vehicles would you like to see as large scale Tamiya-like builds.

I just saw the Ford F-650. That thing must exist as an RC. Its the biggest most stupid penis extender that I have ever seen and I love everything about it and realize that an RC version of this and this alone ,can bring me true happiness.

Attachments

• 2007-ford-f650-custom-super-truck-and-2006-32-pace-stacker-trailer-combo292388698013-0.jpg
    2007-ford-f650-custom-super-truck-and-2006-32-pace-stacker-trailer-combo292388698013-0.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 10
There are some Chevy kodiak bodies that were made. But in 1/8 scale, you really don't see many 1/5 (scale) bodies. I'm assuming due to cost, and the market is considerably smaller than the smaller scale vehicle.

I often hear from people that they want more bodies to chose from. I wonder if there is a niche here for small runs. In a time where you can feed a 3d wireframe into a machine ,give it a block of material and it spits out a perfect model 2 hours later. Making the mold really shouldnt be too costly or difficult. 10 years ago youd have to have talent as a sculptor. Now a monkey or even I, could do it.

If there was a place that had a 4d CNC mill and a heated vacuum bed, from which you could order pretty much any shell that you could produce a wireframe for. How much would such a shell be worth to you?

That would be great Except- Licensing/Copyright!!.
These days you cannot make a copy of a existing vehicle without approval or fee to use original makers design.
It's what happened to the video game/simulation market. It's why you see made up cars slightly resembling a particular car in games.The licenses are absurdly expensive. You can find videos all over on how to make you own molds and cars.. But they always warn you it can't be 1:1 version,you have to modify your design to not infringe on the orig design. These days between that and a tiny market,most people don't bother. The Raminator is one of the few large scale with a licensed body and I'm sure they paid a hefty fee.
I've seen more and more 1/5 scale bodies being made outside of usa though. Theres a few sellers that pop up on ebay that make and sell bodies.

I don't see how that is an issue. As I am not selling you a model. I am selling you a service in which you give me a 3d wireframe and I give you back a lexan object that looks like that wireframe. I am not under any obligation to make moral judgements about my costumers choices in designs. I understand that if a costumer orders 100 identical Mercedes bodies and put them for sale online, there is going to be an issue. Only China can do that.

I am pretty certain that there are artisan/artist protections in place. And that youtubers just cover their ass from all imaginable angles. Especially since the recent legal quagmire over there. I assume that Andy Warhols estate is not forever paying Cambell a fee even though his soup cans painting with their likeness, is one of the most well know pieces of art ever made. I could be wrong. It was a time in which companies recognised such things for what they are. A loveletter from someone to them and a favour, as peoples projects tend to make the rounds. I am not saying it was better times. But it was saner times.

We live in a corporate environment.
Said licenses to make said products will be needed. If you think I'm joking,go ahead and test your theory. People Have been sued for making something that could be used to infringe on said project-whether real or imaginary.
I agree fully with you,it's not the same place as it used to be.
There are millions projects started that you'd think would be free from such scrutiny,but you'd be wrong and those projects/ideas died because of "It's ours".
Just the wording you used " Mercedes" would get you in potential trouble because it shows intent to produce a product that's copyrighted.
Just because you don't put those words" Mercedes," but you used their likeness would open you up to a potential counterfeiting charge.
Think imported lots of shoes coming in from another country without labels. You then put "label" on shoes,guess what(and get caught) your screwed.
I know it sounds stupid but this is the world we're living in now.
But as you said we have China....

What's really scary is, we all belong to a corporation.
If you want some real homework,research that.

We live in a corporate environment.
Said licenses to make said products will be needed. If you think I'm joking,go ahead and test your theory. People Have been sued for making something that could be used to infringe on said project-whether real or imaginary.
I agree fully with you,it's not the same place as it used to be.
There are millions projects started that you'd think would be free from such scrutiny,but you'd be wrong and those projects/ideas died because of "It's ours".
Just the wording you used " Mercedes" would get you in potential trouble because it shows intent to produce a product that's copyrighted.
Just because you don't put those words" Mercedes," but you used their likeness would open you up to a potential counterfeiting charge.
Think imported lots of shoes coming in from another country without labels. You then put "label" on shoes,guess what(and get caught) your screwed.
I know it sounds stupid but this is the world we're living in now.
But as you said we have China....

What's really scary is, we all belong to a corporation.
If you want some real homework,research that.
yep..?
we're all " owned" from birth?

I do not disagree with your assessment. But I would like to add that it appears that 3D printing companies gets around this issue for the reason I stated. I am not the one calling it "mercedes". You the costumer may. I call it "the 3d mesh file" or some such. It seems trivial but its the kind of nonsense that makes legal distinctions.

I am just interrested in knowing if there is enough interrest for me to spend a couple of hours to find out about the legal ramifications/cost.

I assume that Andy Warhols estate is not forever paying Cambell a fee even though his soup cans painting with their likeness, is one of the most well know pieces of art ever made. I could be wrong.

Just to add a bit of clarity to this singular statement. Warhol never had to pay any licensing fees. His work is protected by a part of copyright law called "derivative works". It allows artists and other creatives to portray copyrighted materials as an artistic expression or as a work of satire without the need to license or even ask permission. It falls under free speech protections in the US.

What you are considering would likely not be protected in the same way, but if you aren't marketing and selling them, you aren't technically profiting from the design itself. There are plenty of one-off hand made RC bodies out there of well known cars and I've never heard of a manufacturer going after them for infringement or licensing fees. The worst that would likely happen is that you would get a cease and desist letter from their legal team if you made a bunch of one model. You could also stipulate that no models should contain copyrighted badging. ?‍♂️

I, for one, would like to see if this is something you could pull off for a reasonable cost. (y)

Thrasher,
I wouldn't mind at all.
I was just stating some potential issues that I have seen.
A cease and desist would be preferable should it draw attention. ?
A project that could be mass produced and distributed is what could be the issue.
I've had to send things to China to be made(90's) and still received the cease and desist letter.?
Small limited bodies for personal use and a few for friends could be feasible though.
I've thought about this myself many times.
I'd be interested for sure.
I'm actually waiting for some guys to realise their body from another post I made.
I could ask them about the process they've used and issues,of course after its officially released. As we know anything can happen in between.

Just from what I have found already, having a one off model made from hard foam doesn't have be that expensive. Prototyping is a booming market with more new actors in than you can shake a stick at and the prices are looking bloody.
I've had to send things to China to be made(90's) and still received the cease and desist letter.

Well thats a bummer. I think it will be worth to at least take a look. The whole 3d printing business have muddied the waters a lot. And while its true we are corporate serfs, its also true that we the whole sharade is driven on "individualism.tm". I doubt any large corporation wants to be the one to fire off first shots against the underwood of creatives. nobody wants to be their industry's metallica versus its napster users/soon to be former fans and costumers. My gut feeling tells me that something as small as this, could probably navigate relatively safely.

I have been looking at the market for hobbyist CnC mills. For the price of a couple of large scales you can get one that is plenty for cutting out a model in hard foam and its not complicated to make a vacuum bed. It may actually make more sense to get these machines than to rent time at industrial gear. If only I could find a way to get an estimate at how many would want specialized hats with more detail than is usual for large scales.

Imagine if you could make your Baja look like almost any one of the classical Tamiya/Kyosho models. (it doesn have to be a mercedes ;))

You can make one from a few meters of sheet alloy and a pair of scissors. I think making it the traditional way would actually be the harder way with that particular vehicle.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks