Whats everyones stance on running in public with todays society and liabilities

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In all seriousness, I don’t run around people, to many possible problems, the way I bash the Baja end up a couple feet in the air a few times, jump or not, point being, I’m not cautious, I have multiple areas to play, if one is too crowded, move on to the other. I’ve had nitro runaways, I can’t imagine it happening with one of these gassers, it would break legs.
-“you broke my child legs, while wrecking my car”
What are u gonna do, “it’s not my fault”, “it was an accident” nope, your rig your responsibility. Only people I will run close to is fellow rcers, but even then, still gotta be careful. We really need to start taking more precautions with these machines, we say it but never do it, and we will not learn until it is too late sometimes. And to the newbies, if you don’t have a good Killswitch, don’t run your car. Failsafe ain’t worth nothin.

I mostly bash in open field's away from others, or if a bash meet is set up we meet I a big field. For us a working kill switch is a must or your not welcome and will be asked to leave.
Luckily in the UK we also have BRCA that gives you liability insurance within its membership and that covers all land based RC.

Suppose like anything really you need to treat the cars with respect and have an understanding of just what they are capable of.

I typically bash in out of the way completely unpopulated areas. Having said that I have taken my rigs by myself to local parks to test some things or infrequently scratch an itch. I never get too aggressive on the brap trigger when I do and I don’t do it if there are large groups or people in the immediate area. Unfortunately as others have noted these things will draw a crowd even when operating it in the most mundane way.

My buddies runaway scared the living 💩 out of me, I had a pit in my stomach the whole time even though we were in a remote area. Just the potential damage these things could do to property, people or even a pet scares me thinking about it. I would definitely buy insurance if it was available here and affordable but I haven’t been able to find anything, might actually call my broker.

These rigs are fun as hell to run, but the liability you assume when doing it is very high! I have a huge respect for these things and motivated to operate them safely!

guys, funny story,
when I was running my 5ive b, my brother was running his tmaxx. At first everything was going fine, I just had to put a better tune on the tmaxx, in the middle of getting some footage for you guys, my brother shouts "runaway runaway runway" I thought he was kidding around so I just laughed it off. Then he was getting close to some people and realized he wasnt kidding, lol i was about to yell "killswitch". I just started running as if i was bouta catch up to 40mph 😂 . Luckily although it came close to some people, it passed them and ran into a bush started burning up the clutch. If you go to my losi build thread you can hear at the end of the video my brother start to panic.
This vid:

This was one of the reasons I left the hobby - it was getting increasingly difficult to meet up with others, in a responsible manner which would be accepted by others not interested in the hobby 'walking their dogs' or flying kites, whatever nearby.

Trying to consider locations, prepare kit required to keep going in the event of a minor issue, and keep the family going were all getting difficult - one had to go - probably temporarily knowing me!

I had several meetings where neighbours whose houses weren't even visible by radio telescope had complained to 'the authorities' who moved us on, from empty fields with nobody else around. Gets almost offensive at times, then you take one step back and try to imagine what those others not interested might feel.

Drive responsibly guys, stay safe - and continue to enjoy the hobby.
Al.

This was one of the reasons I left the hobby - it was getting increasingly difficult to meet up with others, in a responsible manner which would be accepted by others not interested in the hobby 'walking their dogs' or flying kites, whatever nearby.

Trying to consider locations, prepare kit required to keep going in the event of a minor issue, and keep the family going were all getting difficult - one had to go - probably temporarily knowing me!

I had several meetings where neighbours whose houses weren't even visible by radio telescope had complained to 'the authorities' who moved us on, from empty fields with nobody else around. Gets almost offensive at times, then you take one step back and try to imagine what those others not interested might feel.

Drive responsibly guys, stay safe - and continue to enjoy the hobby.
Al.
Sadly this seems to happen often. One of the areas we ran when we were into nitro way back when. Had some people that lived pretty far back the road off state property. They would call and complain about the noise. Had several talks with park rangers, basically they couldn't do anything as nothing we were doing was against park rules or local ordinances, but they had to follow up with all complaints. Which got old quick.

Well for once living in the middle of the corn belt (Illinois) i rarely go to public places to run..in fact I avoid them just because don’t wanna hear some “Karen” or “snowflake”complaining about noise..my buddy has quite a few properties and a pond and on the upside I only live a couple hours from Horizon Hobby so planning on checking out some of their track festivities this year…as far as a kill switch I totally agree you shouldn’t even run without one…I realized that the first time I ran my truck…too much at risk to run without

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks