Why do all RTRs have to be RTR ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lorraine

Why can't we be offered build up kits like the HPI SS. The boxing and shipping would be cheaper, The labor would be cut big by maker not to assemble the units and they could lower the price and make more profit by the savings in shipping and assembly. They sure are not doing us any favors by these RTR kits as we have to rebuild them right out of the box anyway!!!.. Come on Rovan , kingmotor , losi let us mess up our own cars as we sure don't need a head start on it.....

It's all about instant gratification today. Loved assembling the Tamiya cars I had in the 80s. Who knew those little cars were comprised of a 1000 parts? My first car took me at least three days, working every waking hour during Christmas break, and with a little help from dad. With an increase in age and experience, subsequent cars were being assembled and run the same day.

AH YES ! I remember in 1985 my first AE RC10 , I was the king of blackfoot and monster beetle town . Smoked the doors off them boys!!!
It's all about instant gratification today. Loved assembling the Tamiya cars I had in the 80s. Who knew those little cars were comprised of a 1000 parts? My first car took me at least three days, working every waking hour during Christmas break, and with a little help from dad. With an increase in age and experience, subsequent cars were being assembled and run the same day.
Where you are from Top Dead Center instant gratification can come as a double MUSHROOM cheese pizza to gooooo...lol !

Last edited:
There are quite a few which are ARTR - Almost ... RTR.

What are the options available:

Most of these are electronics selection - motor may be supplied - but could be much more detailed ...

There could be shock spring selection; ESC / motor combo selection options / delete (you select your own); 2-stroke motor selection; wheel selection ...

Many of these could be manufacturers' options, or could be non-existant - you locate your own.

Bodies - with / without - could be options available or delete - you locate your own.
Wheels / tyres - same deal.

Many do this kind of thing, particularly in the larger scales.

Al.

Back in the early 2000's when i got my first RTR Savage, i was looking for another truck to set up more for higher speed drifting on dirt roads. I bought the SS kit, and had a BLAST slamming the suspension and hopping that truck up !

I agree, I enjoy building my own rigs. I just finished building a TLR 5B build kit. Fun build but was done to fast, wish it was harder to build.

like @Top Dead Center said, its all about instant gratification now, the new generation doesn't like to do really anything that involves effort or getting their hands dirty sadly thats why most prefer electric or video games, sorry but its true imo. now there is some that do like putting stuff together and stuff like that but im talking the majority. if they all were kits, way less of the new gen would be into rc. thats why the older folks are into large scale and nitro as u can see on this forum, theres nothing wrong with that, i actually think its pretty good because they have a lot of experience but if only the new gen took interest. so for them to be rtr, they need to be cheaper and for them to be cheaper, they have to cut corners some how, and that shows with servos, sometimes engines tires, plastics sometimes, ect ect.

Last edited:
YOu are looking for ARTRs. They are made for guys like us. You get most of the stuff you need but get to chose your own radio/motor/few other essential bits and bobs. Guys like us always end up with 50 bullshit radios that came with trucks and was archived vertically as soon as it was out of the box. A silly waste. The price difference between RTR and ARTR however sometimes makes me think that we are being offered "a ride". Or the radios and engines/motors they use are A LOT cheaper than we think they are.

It wouldn't surprise me if they were way cheaper then we think. Briggs had 3 different prices for engines depending on what tier of dealer you were or if you were a OEM. I would assume its about the same for any large production.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks