Why the 25:1 fuel - oil ratio for our engines?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This has been a raging debate on every 2 stroke engine forum since engine oil stopped being used as premix oil. High oil ratios arnt needed for the average user. Racing and peak performance are a different story, and not a boat most of us are in. Again run whatever ratio you want, with whatever oil you like. At the end of the day it's really a moot point.

Roger guys, thanks for the feedback.
Ill run 40:1 to trigger the “twenty five oners” ?
Biggest issue for me was carbon build up tbh, with higher ratio the engine runs cleaner. I asked my father and he has been using a 25cc weedwacker for the last 15 years on 50:1 ?
It does indeed come down to preference, to whatever makes you feel comfortable.

Yeah, no unless your pig rich the oil will do what the oil does, it isnt fuel and typically doesn't give a complete burn, hence carbon build up. Caster will give a different type if build up as well, kinda a yellow hard coating after extensive running, it doesn't contain the dispersants or detergents of modern oils. The additive package and base stock is what separates the different oils. Castor is an excellent lubricant, but typically falls on its arse with the additive package, and low temp drop out. Does this make it a bad oil? Heck no, just something that happens.

Sean you hit the nail on the head with that. The plug looks great and the face of the piston has maybe the size smaller than a penny with the dark yellowish color definitely indicates excess oil

Usually seems to be about 2 or 3 points difference if I remember right on the rating. With the USA
being the lower of the numbers.

Im in the 25/1 is silly camp. The only thing it seems to accomplish is a shitload of sludge coming out the pipe, and way more deposits on the internals. Im yet to burn up a single engine and have a few with well over 10 gallons through them. My CY23cc is probably closer to 20 gal and worked fine when I pulled it.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks