Winter thread... clean and fix

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enzo3856

So we managed to get the cars out for a final run yesterday.
Finished the day with a couple breaks.
Baja 1: right rear a-arm keeps bottoming out and something wore down the lower shock end... so out pops the shock... also, inner hex of wheel is no longer a hex...
Baja 2: right rear a-arm bottoms out and the bolt holding the shock pops through the a-arm...

So looks like I will be starting a tear down, clean everything, rebuild the diffs, rebuild shocks and have everything ready for spring...
Will start a DDM order and figure out everything I need.

So, first question: what are recommendations for the shock ends? Can you just get new shock ends, or do you have to get the whole shock shaft?
2nd question: I have a set of new wheels, just wondering how long to wheels usually last before the inner hex gets chewed up?

So we managed to get the cars out for a final run yesterday.
Finished the day with a couple breaks.
Baja 1: right rear a-arm keeps bottoming out and something wore down the lower shock end... so out pops the shock... also, inner hex of wheel is no longer a hex...
Baja 2: right rear a-arm bottoms out and the bolt holding the shock pops through the a-arm...

So looks like I will be starting a tear down, clean everything, rebuild the diffs, rebuild shocks and have everything ready for spring...
Will start a DDM order and figure out everything I need.

So, first question: what are recommendations for the shock ends? Can you just get new shock ends, or do you have to get the whole shock shaft?
2nd question: I have a set of new wheels, just wondering how long to wheels usually last before the inner hex gets chewed up?
You have to get the whole shafts , can't just get the end. Ps, try and find original HPI shock shafts (fronts are 105mm , rear are 115mm I believe), you can probably find them on fleebay. Do not buy the rovan stuff! They are absolute poop, bend really easy and have atleast 2mm of play. I learned the hard way lol.
A good wheel will last a while, I have proline Desperados on my Baja (2nd set, first ones the bolt holes finally wollowed out after 3 years) and love them . Pretty cheap too, like $23 off ddm, so I recommend them, plus they look cool ?
Take alot of pics during the rebuild!

For sure ? that wint be hard??‍♂️?
Noticed on my kraken baja few months back ......had a wet transmission on the one side?‍♂️ opened the diff and it was empty ??
Ill take a close look at it later , Oh I found a good way to keep my boots on ! I used wiretie wire for racing Karts/cars gets it tight and locked down , might just rip them but I will see.

On the shock ends, are you sure it isn't your beadlock hardware hitting the end when it bottoms out and destroying the plastic.ends? It has happened to me, I'd check that out. If it is, you should consider axle extenders to prevent that.
I will check that out... I hadn't thought of that
BTW, got all my diff bits cleaned up.. Once they are dry I will start to rebuild... considering if I want to paint my transmission case or not...
IMG_20201116_163732.jpg

Diff and transmission is rebuilt... nice and clean.
Questions on the dominator pipe... I think something happened with mine because the fit doesn't feel right anymore:
IMG_20201115_200614.jpg
IMG_20201115_203527.jpg

I had a tumble a couple weeks back and the whole pipe seemed wonky...
Now that I look closer, the spring was really stretched out, and I cannot push the pipe any closer to the motor.. the pipe is binding with more frame pieces than I remember.... Or maybe I am going crazy and it was always like that? Is this separation normal?
Anybody have similar issues on theirs?

so, DDM has a black friday sale right now (just in time)...
I saw they have their velocity stack on sale:
af310new.jpg

What filter can you use with this?
I have the stock filter and the outerwear to match... so is there a filter that fits this stack and outerwear?
Is there any advantage to using this stack with a stock CY26cc?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks