wont move untill at half throttle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuSaqr

hey guys, so i've got me a used fg monster i switched the engine and installed a brand new cy 27.2 4 bolt motor with new walbro 668 carb and a new cy clutch. Still stock exhaust comes with the engine. Anyway so i decided to break it in.

Now the problem I am facing is that it wont move untill i have my finger on half throttle. I can feel the sound of the motor that it is at a very high rpm to move. I lifted the tires from the back and put on 1/4 throttle still not moving but when i reach 1/2 it moves and at high speed. SO currently i cannot break it in like that.

What would be the problem that caused that? BTW the previous zenoah 26cc engine had the same problem and i though it was the clutch since it was long time used. But with the new engine and clutch its the same problem. I believe its the carb setting or something for the low end. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

If the engine's revving highly, in agreement with the throttle, ie it's opening the throttle properly and it's not servo alignment, then you must have a worn clutch with a very strong spring !!!
Check the clutch.
Al.

clutch is brand new, its a cy clutch. I doubted the clutch but i put on a used clutch from my baja 5b the same thing happens, also with used clutch from the 26cc zenoah which was on the fg before with the same results.

the only thing on mind is the carb setting, if the low end isnt adjusted properly will it cause these problems?

hey guys, so i've got me a used fg monster i switched the engine and installed a brand new cy 27.2 4 bolt motor with new walbro 668 carb and a new cy clutch. Still stock exhaust comes with the engine. Anyway so i decided to break it in.

Now the problem I am facing is that it wont move untill i have my finger on half throttle. I can feel the sound of the motor that it is at a very high rpm to move. I lifted the tires from the back and put on 1/4 throttle still not moving but when i reach 1/2 it moves and at high speed. SO currently i cannot break it in like that.

What would be the problem that caused that? BTW the previous zenoah 26cc engine had the same problem and i though it was the clutch since it was long time used. But with the new engine and clutch its the same problem. I believe its the carb setting or something for the low end. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

When did CY start doing 4 bolt engines? I thought CY only did 2 bolts.

have you checked your diffs?

its the cy F270 4 bolt engine ... no i didnt tighten the clutch bolts to tight, but let me recheck them tomorrow and ill update. Diff is good as new. I stripped the whole car 2 days ago cleaned it up and replaced parts.

OK
Check the simple things.
Without firing up, does the clutch bell move freely or is it locked?
When the engine's fired, is the bell moving or not?
When revving, where is it spinning, and where is not?
Normal problem is the grub screws on the drive squares, but check all grub/headless screws - layshaft, spur, pinion, squares.
Another thing that can happen is the wheel is not mounted correctly on the square, or even the wheel is broken, permitting the square to spin.
Al.

sorry guys, i couldn't touch the FG yet these 2 days but tomorrow for sure ill check on the list Atom mentioned and ill update here. Thanks

ok i finally got time to mess with the FG. So i went up trying to run the car I couldnt took 10-20 minutes workign around the carb needles to get it running. Anyhow i have checked the lsit atom mentiond everything was fine.

-The bell didnt move when the engine was fired.
-when reving it isnt spinning anywhere but i can see the bell wobling wantign to spin. But a i put more throttle near half almost half way it engages and it goes spinning, but as i said the rpm is high at that moment.
- checked all screws squares everything was lookign sharp nothing to get worried.

So i decided to take it to the nearest hobby shop, he looekd at it and said is fine i told him the problem and he kept messing with the throttle linkage and servo and still same results. In th end he said that 4 bolt prolly is strong and thats the result for being a mean engine. And he went on assuring me thats how it is.

So should i get worried or screw it and go on full throttle on it lol. Other wise ill let it baby sit drink fuel for a tank or 2 lmao

never had similar problems before switched clutch with another stock 23cc clutch same results. feels weird first time to see and engine like that.

Not to insult the hobby shop, but does he routinely sell and service petrol engined RC vehicles?
If not, find somewhere that is familiar with them and ask them. I accept it does sound strange, but it requires 'an experienced hand' to take a good look.
Al.

yea kinda doesn't sound like the hobby shop know what their talking about, weak or strong the clutch should enguage at the same RPM.

is it possible to load a vid so we can hear the engine and when the clutch is enguaging?

well i broke the rear drive axle today lol. what a mess, am ordering the parts from ddm next week and ill make the video of the car and show you the clutch area.

As for teh hobby shop, yea he used to sell all rc stuff but for the past year he been only focusing on Bajas, Fg's, electric brushless cars.

Yea it sounds fishy for that to happen even though I have never heared something like that happening, anyway next week as i fit the parts back up ill have the video up.

edit - or if I have time ill swap the engine and put it on my bro's baja (since his engine is busted hence he will order from ddm) just to test if its the FG that has the problem. regards

this is the broken part in the photo below, is not the axle but the drive cup. You guys know where i can get cheap reliable ones better than stock?

Attachments

• IMG00191-20101014-1844.jpg
    IMG00191-20101014-1844.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
mate the stock ones are super reliable. My FG MT did well over 30 tanks and never broke one of mine or even shown any signs of wear. these can break if you land full WOT off a jump, learn to control throttle in the air and you will never break one of these.

stick with FG parts, they have been in the game a long time and their drivline parts are top quality.

That one is not the normal one that snaps. Make sure you have an extra outdrive. Its the one that goes into the differential. That is the one that normally will snap like that. That is your weak link in the drivetrain. Like said, keep off the throttle on landing will lesson that issue.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks