Difference between engines

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moev

Hello guys! Been reading and I am not quite sure what and where the diference is. So first- big bores. I understand that this means bigger pistons. But when an engine is big bore? 32cc is still small right? So 34?40? Second question, what I don't understand is ported and reed? Is this the same or are those two different types of upgrades? F.e. OBR reed engine and 34cc ported. I think those are mentioned the most in older posts. I am collecting information and knowledge now. I will play with my stock 32cc for awhile, but I know me. At some point I will want "MO PAUA". Of cource, don't have the money for something above 40cc. But in this range are also quite a lot variations. Everyone is saying go big or go home, but it will left a far bigger hole in my wallet, since uping the PAUA will destroy the whole drive path and I will have to up everything in ALU, so more wheight to toss arround and MO money to throw away. Also if I now buy a pipe for the 32, which engine will be the max I can still use my pipe on? Will it fit f.e. 40cc? I see offen the pipe comes in 2 pieces. One that is bolted to the engine, than some kind of coupler and than the rest. If you swap only the part, that bolts to the engine, will it perform or do you need also a bigger chamber on the pipe?

Cheers

Bug bore is considered anything over 34cc, typically non zenoah based engines.
Piston port vs Reed is just different induction systems. The piston acts like the intake valve in a piston port engine and the Reed valve is the intake valve in a reed engine.
A ported engine is a modified engine for more power. Doesn't matter if it's a piston port or reed engine.
Don't let the big bore or bust fan bois get you down, let's of fun with small bore engines and plenty of power.

Hi buddy!

Taylor RC have not long released a 35cc V2 Reed small bore engine which is good to use with normal pipes as even though the engine is 35cc, its still a small bore,

afaik Taylor RC are the only manufacturer that offer a small bore 35cc Reed. I've been doing A LOT of research on different engines for small bores the past few months, and it seems one that does keep coming up with good reviews etc is the Taylor 35 V2 Reed (don't confuse this with the 35 V1! ..the V2 is a different beast with a few important changes that were made from the V1.)

I've not long bought an ESP Race Ported 34cc motor, it has a noticeable performance over a stock 32zen, but still not enough for my liking as it lacked low end power/torque, I don't want to go Big bore, so I've literally just pulled the trigger on a Taylor 35 V2 Reed which should be here Monday. I believe the Taylor 35 V2 Reed is probably the best out there in terms of power for small bore's, but time will tell for myself when i fit & test it :)

Hi buddy!

Taylor RC have not long released a 35cc V2 Reed small bore engine which is good to use with normal pipes as even though the engine is 35cc, its still a small bore,

afaik Taylor RC are the only manufacturer that offer a small bore 35cc Reed. I've been doing A LOT of research on different engines for small bores the past few months, and it seems one that does keep coming up with good reviews etc is the Taylor 35 V2 Reed (don't confuse this with the 35 V1! ..the V2 is a different beast with a few important changes that were made from the V1.)

I've not long bought an ESP Race Ported 34cc motor, it has a noticeable performance over a stock 32zen, but still not enough for my liking as it lacked low end power/torque, I don't want to go Big bore, so I've literally just pulled the trigger on a Taylor 35 V2 Reed which should be here Monday. I believe the Taylor 35 V2 Reed is probably the best out there in terms of power for small bore's, but time will tell for myself when i fit & test it :)
I'm definitely interested in your thoughts on the 35cc V2 Taylor. I like some torque as well as RPM and I also don't want to put a big block in anything.

I'm definitely interested in your thoughts on the 35cc V2 Taylor. I like some torque as well as RPM and I also don't want to put a big block in anything.
Will be making a post when i get it on the install/break in & my final thoughts etc! ;)

My model is a 90% alloy DBXL 2.0 with Badlands MX43'so is on the heavy side which is why the low end on my ESP isn't as good as id like, Maybe with a stock dbxl or any other stock large scale that isn't hopped up to the max with alloy then an ESP race ported or OBR SS etc will do the job (but don't quote me on that!!). If it's a 2WD model you have then imo a modded engine is overkill, i have a stock zen 29cc with a samba tuned pipe, and that thing is an animal, will get some footage when i take it out next, but with our 4WD models, i think a modded engine is a must if you want power as they require a lot of it!

Will be making a post when i get it on the install/break in & my final thoughts etc! ;)

My model is a 90% alloy DBXL 2.0 with Badlands MX43'so is on the heavy side which is why the low end on my ESP isn't as good as id like, Maybe with a stock dbxl or any other stock large scale that isn't hopped up to the max with alloy then an ESP race ported or OBR SS etc will do the job (but don't quote me on that!!). If it's a 2WD model you have then imo a modded engine is overkill, i have a stock zen 29cc with a samba tuned pipe, and that thing is an animal, will get some footage when i take it out next, but with our 4WD models, i think a modded engine is a must if you want power as they require a lot of it!
TLR 5ive B is my buggy running a stock 32cc Zenoah with VRC silenced pipe. The arms, hub carriers, steering knuckles, diff cases are still polymer as are the rod ends and steering servo mounts. Front and rear differentials are still plastic but I have the aluminum versions here for when I need to fix the stockers. I have all metal upper links to install when I ruin the spare plastic rod ends I have. I also have a billet aluminum steering servo mount to install. I have turtle racing arms on hand, their polymer heavy duty units. Future plans are the aluminum center diff mount and both front and rear diff cases.

Last edited:
Hi buddy!

Hi tizdaz, yes I was looking yesterday also on that engine. Also it is the only one, which is "affordable". I like the alx engines, but they start from 1200 euros, OBR seems like they are hype from the past, better than stock, but not so good as taylor and alx. At some point someone was saying, that different pipes affect different performance. F.e. take Olimat for top end, Bart for bottom end and Victory for mid range (can't find where I red it). I am also interested in Samba pipe, since it is black coated and I don't have to fight with rust and oil it every run. How do you like it? Is it the normal Samba or the big one?

heres my dibby atm:
Hi tizdaz, yes I was looking yesterday also on that engine. Also it is the only one, which is "affordable". I like the alx engines, but they start from 1200 euros, OBR seems like they are hype from the past, better than stock, but not so good as taylor and alx. At some point someone was saying, that different pipes affect different performance. F.e. take Olimat for top end, Bart for bottom end and Victory for mid range (can't find where I red it). I am also interested in Samba pipe, since it is black coated and I don't have to fight with rust and oil it every run. How do you like it? Is it the normal Samba or the big one?
hi buddy, the samba pipe is on my FG Monster which has a stock zenoah 29cc, with this setup my FG 2WD Stadium is an absolute animal!! Ive had many FG's over the years with all different pipes, my favourite has always been the Samba, is an excellent all rounder.

The pipe I'm using at mo on my DBXL 2.0 is the Olimat unsilenced, I also tried (and still own) the Bartelone, as you say, the olimat (unsilenced) I believe is best for top end, whereas the Batelone pipe I have is mid bleed which gives a little more torque, to be honest though, i didn't really notice too much difference between the 2 my dibby still lacked low end grunt/torque, once I fit my new Taylor v2 engine I will fit the bartelone pipe first and compare it with the olimat afterwards.

Hi buddy!

Rooster tail engine's, over here in Australia do a 35cc Reed engine
They offer a stock, comp or full mod option
M
My 30.5cc full mod reed from rooster tail, has plenty of tourqe & low end power, revs it tits off to, I put a Taylor 35 pipe on her
IMO more power everywhere
It's in a MCD w5
M

My 30.5cc full mod reed from rooster tail, has plenty of tourqe & low end power, revs it tits off to, I put a Taylor 35 pipe on her
IMO more power everywher

Last edited:
M

IMO more power everywhere
It's in a MCD w5
Taylor's engines are a complete re-design not a modded zenoah, everything on them has been designed in-house by Mike and some other guy he works with closely when designing his engines afaik, even the coil isn't zenoah/CY. I not long had an ESP 34 race ported & I have to say I wasn't really impressed with it but this could be because of the weight of my dibby as its mostly alloy, I'm hoping my new Taylor reed will have a bit more grunt! but will see ^^

I have read all about Taylor's v2 35cc motor, I'm aware that it is not a reworked zenoha
My MCD is the ultimate model, alloy everything, my 30.5 full mod reed has plenty of tourqe & power
I would be very interested in your feedback on the Taylor 35 reed engine, when you run her in, I've watched a lot of videos of the motor in a lot of different car, look's like they have really good power & torque
John park's has one for sale on this site, only one tank of fuel gorn thru her he says

I have read all about Taylor's v2 35cc motor, I'm aware that it is not a reworked zenoha
My MCD is the ultimate model, alloy everything, my 30.5 full mod reed has plenty of tourqe & power
I would be very interested in your feedback on the Taylor 35 reed engine, when you run her in, I've watched a lot of videos of the motor in a lot of different car, look's like they have really good power & torque
John park's has one for sale on this site, only one tank of fuel gorn thru her he says
will do buddy! just finishing off installing it, fit the kill switch tonight & carb, should have it ready to go tommoz hopefully :)

Hay tizdaz did you get a chance to fire up your Taylor 35 yesterday 🤔
hiya guys!

Still waiting for the couple of bolts for the engine mount to arrive in post! should be here tommoz or wed, as the ones i have for my old engine arent long enough lol, a soon they arrive then i can drop it in as the rest is done :)

Hi buddy!

How do you like the new Taylor 35cc reed V2? I am currently looking for an engine for my HPI Baja 5B that I recently built. Leaning towards the Taylor 35cc V2 but also stuck between the OBR 34cc fully modified or ESP 34cc.

I'd go the Taylor 35 👍
Rooster tail over hear in Australia also does a 35cc Reed engine
I've had multiple people recommend the Taylor 35cc. Looks like that's what I'm going to do. I have a Victory RC PRO side pipe. Do you think that will go well with the Taylor 35cc or if not what exhaust do you recommend from them? I see they have many on the Taylor website. However, the one for 32-38cc says it is for Zenoah engines so not sure if it will go well with their 35cc V2 reed engine.

Also, will I need to modify my Baja 5B for the Taylor 35cc v2 reed or will it handle the power?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks