Losi 5ive-T pull starter troubles

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zach619

Alright everyone I have had my losi for about a year now and I go through pull starts constantly. I either break the cord or it gets binded up or something happens with them that I have to replace it time and time again. I have gone through probably 6 pull starts in the last year. There has to be a better way and I’m looking to everyone on here for that answer. I do not think electric start is the best option for me so is there any other good manual options or is electric start the way to go and if so which style do I need to go with?

And don't buy rovan/km ?????
The way your going about starting your truck is wrong if you going thru pullstarts like that. The other option you could try is the FID, but the way your doing it, you'll probably kill that one too. You really have to learn how to start these machines. Its really not that hard??‍♂️
+1??

The way your going about starting your truck is wrong if you going thru pullstarts like that. The other option you could try is the FID, but the way your doing it, you'll probably kill that one too. You really have to learn how to start these machines. Its really not that hard??‍♂️
What he said ? I've been on the same pullstart for 3-4 gallons now with no issues except for one broken rope (I blame that on being reckless when my engine wouldn't start). My starting procedure is prime the bulb, then choke on, then 4 slow pulls to pull fuel into the motor, and then turn the choke off, and then a few fast pulls and it starts up (usually starts within 3 fast pulls). Here's a tip, before pulling the cord to start the engine, slowly pull the handle up until it engages with the flywheel ,and then go and do your fast pulls. Don't just yank it, because then you will damage the pullstart.
Oh it also helps to have your engine tuned correctly

Alright everyone I have had my losi for about a year now and I go through pull starts constantly. I either break the cord or it gets binded up or something happens with them that I have to replace it time and time again. I have gone through probably 6 pull starts in the last year. There has to be a better way and I’m looking to everyone on here for that answer. I do not think electric start is the best option for me so is there any other good manual options or is electric start the way to go and if so which style do I need to go with?
UPDATE: everyone below is saying I am starting it wrong. Let me update my info. Not all are broken cords or anything like that. I have gone through two broken cords but the rest were from the internals binding up or getting jammed up with sand and only partly engaging or something of that matter. I run my car a lot. Like a lot a lot! I run it in harsh conditions. It’s to be expected that sand and stuff get in there. Is the divan style easy starters work any better when dealing with lots of sand and mud and stuff like that? Cause this spin and throw outward to engage is not lasting with the conditions I’m putting my car in.

UPDATE: everyone below is saying I am starting it wrong. Let me update my info. Not all are broken cords or anything like that. I have gone through two broken cords but the rest were from the internals binding up or getting jammed up with sand and only partly engaging or something of that matter. I run my car a lot. Like a lot a lot! I run it in harsh conditions. It’s to be expected that sand and stuff get in there. Is the divan style easy starters work any better when dealing with lots of sand and mud and stuff like that? Cause this spin and throw outward to engage is not lasting with the conditions I’m putting my car in.
Step one: buy outerwear pullstart cover or make mesh mod.
Step two: follow the above yanking procedures described above.
don't yank like a young man who just discovered how cool his dik is. Nice easy short yanks is all ya need. Don't want skin burn??

With sand your going to have issues, like mentioned you'll need to "sand proof" your engine. Not just the pull start, as the lower half of the case is open to allow air to be drawn into the fan as well as the pull start. Search "mesh mod" and go for a fine mesh, and may be even a layer of a fine cloth to help filter to sand out.

Outerwares makes a crank case filter as well for use in sand. But at the minimum, you should mesh mod or Outerware your pull start cover. Outerwares will make for a better sand proofing.

If you're handy with a sewing maching, you can save a ton of $$ by buying sheets of Outerware fabric on Amazon and just sew your own covers.

If you have a cordless drill, you could always look into getting a Killer RC power starter. I've been using one all year and I love it.

One of the nice features is that I can remove the shroud and still start the motor if I'm testing different clutch configurations. It's not something that will be needed often, but it's still pretty useful when it is.

Back