Torn between 3 engines.... seeking advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O
Also any idea when those two engines might come out?

Any other particular reason you would choose the taylor over the ALX other then customer service or is that about it?
Mmm... ppl say alx has more buttom power, in my opinion both are great! Its the same as mobil phones, some i phones are great and some samsung's are great too.. its a matter of taste, my favorit engine is the taylor 50gt, very balanced motor with a massive power in the middle.. you can't go wrong with alx or taylor

I run both Taylor and alx, can say both companies are the best of the best. My smaller cc Taylor engines seem more powerful than my alx engines of the same size. But the larger alx engines seem quite a bit mote powerful than my Taylor's of the larger cc size.

Taylor is a bit easier to get ahold of then alx, but I've never had an issue with either.

I run both Taylor and alx, can say both companies are the best of the best. My smaller cc Taylor engines seem more powerful than my alx engines of the same size. But the larger alx engines seem quite a bit mote powerful than my Taylor's of the larger cc size.

Taylor is a bit easier to get ahold of then alx, but I've never had an issue with either.
Yeah okay... By smaller CC do you mean like 35cc and buy larger cc do you mean 50cc? or something along the lines of that?
O

Mmm... ppl say alx has more buttom power, in my opinion both are great! Its the same as mobil phones, some i phones are great and some samsung's are great too.. its a matter of taste, my favorit engine is the taylor 50gt, very balanced motor with a massive power in the middle.. you can't go wrong with alx or taylor
yeah okay they sound like absolutely great engines def looking forward to getting one in the future!
Howeveer just one more thing... you breifly mentioned before ill have to upgrade the drivetrain to run a 50, 46 or 40... would you happen to know what parts exactly will need upgrading?

Smaller cc being 40-55, larger 55 and up. Alx 71p/85 engines are monsters. Not saying the tsylor engines aren't by any means, just from what I've experienced myself.

For a losi, a 40,46,50 you can get by with minimal upgrades. If your going for all the goodies and bling then your set anyways as to what you'll upgrade. If you want the bare necessities, a modified rc center diff carrier, a alloy rear diff housing, and alloy diff cases are pretty much necessary. The front plastic diff housing seems to handle the power up to a 50. Diff cups are basically necessary for any engine upgrade including smallbores as they wear quick anyways

Smaller cc being 40-55, larger 55 and up. Alx 71p/85 engines are monsters. Not saying the tsylor engines aren't by any means, just from what I've experienced myself.

For a losi, a 40,46,50 you can get by with minimal upgrades. If your going for all the goodies and bling then your set anyways as to what you'll upgrade. If you want the bare necessities, a modified rc center diff carrier, a alloy rear diff housing, and alloy diff cases are pretty much necessary. The front plastic diff housing seems to handle the power up to a 50. Diff cups are basically necessary for any engine upgrade including smallbores as they wear quick anyways
Couldn't say it bwtter my self...

Alrighty thanks guys!

Would you be able to provide Links for those parts for a losi 5ive t 1.0 if thats possible? i think i found the parts i need roughly but id like to just double check i have all the right and necessary parts
At the moment i have aluminium diff cases on all the diffs... would that be alright?

Last edited:
Alrighty thanks guys!

Would you be able to provide Links for those parts for a losi 5ive t 1.0 if thats possible? i think i found the parts i need roughly but id like to just double check i have all the right and necessary parts
At the moment i have aluminium diff cases on all the diffs... would that be alright?
Taylor rc or detroit performance on google bro, go to losi 5t upgrade section, there you can find all you need, have fun its like disney world for grownup's🤣🤣🤣

lol definitely.... But would my aluminium diff cases be okay?
Also would i be fine with the drop down option on the ALX BZM 50 that makes it come with a 52 or 54mm clutch whatever is standard... like will it run fine with that.... im assuming it will because its an option but?

Last edited:
lol definitely.... But would my aluminium diff cases be okay?
Also would i be fine with the drop down option on the ALX BZM 50 that makes it come with a 52 or 54mm clutch whatever is standard... like will it run fine with that.... im assuming it will because its an option but?

Get the 70mm clutch it comes with.

https://www.detroitperformancerc.co...d-rc-center-differential-carrier-for-losi-2-0

https://www.detroitperformancerc.com/product-page/rcmax-billet-differntial-cup-for-losi-5ivet-b

https://www.detroitperformancerc.co...am-rear-differential-housing-for-losi-5ivet-b

Thanks for the links i wnt to save a it of money because this engine is going to cost heaps so could i still get away with the 54mm clutch? or is the 70mm a MUST because the 54mm will just break?

Thanks for the links i wnt to save a it of money because this engine is going to cost heaps so could i still get away with the 54mm clutch? or is the 70mm a MUST because the 54mm will just break?

Clutch breaking isn't really an issue, 54mm will handle fine with the proper gearing. The 70mm has more surface area though and can take heat better and handle the larger cc engines.

Alx has the best clutches in my opinion for the sizes he has. His 80mm is even better but overkill for a 50. If you can swing it I'd get the 70mm for a small additional cost. If your serious about purchasing one let me know, I can help you out with purchase

Clutch breaking isn't really an issue, 54mm will handle fine with the proper gearing. The 70mm has more surface area though and can take heat better and handle the larger cc engines.

Alx has the best clutches in my opinion for the sizes he has. His 80mm is even better but overkill for a 50. If you can swing it I'd get the 70mm for a small additional cost. If your serious about purchasing one let me know, I can help you out with purchase
Yeah okay I’d very much appreciate the help…. I am series about buying either the 46gt or the 50bzm as they are the same price. so my dilemma is do I got with the 50 bzm with the smaller clutch 54mm which work out to be the same price as the 46gt v2 but that comes standard with a 62mm clutch…. And according to Mike from taylor the 40, 46 and 50 are all the same weight so I’m assuming that Alxs would be the same as well so weight then isn’t really a factor…. So it’s really do I want more power with a smaller clutch or less power with a bigger clutch for the same price…. Your thoughts?

Also what would be the “proper gearing” for a 50bzm with the 54mm clutch?

In my opinion you shouldn’t drop a lot of money on this 5ive t right now. You seem pretty new to the fifth scale gas hobby. What I would do if I were you is buy an esp 34 for about $400 and spend some time learning the vehicle while slowly upgrading it. This will give you time to learn the strengths and weaknesses of your truck. Give you some experience with these engines without the high stakes of a large dollar piece of kit and give you time to see if you actually even enjoy the hobby enough to justify putting another $3000 into an Rc car. Also the esp34 is a fantastic engine plenty of torque and some great rpm’s to boot

Yeah okay I’d very much appreciate the help…. I am series about buying either the 46gt or the 50bzm as they are the same price. so my dilemma is do I got with the 50 bzm with the smaller clutch 54mm which work out to be the same price as the 46gt v2 but that comes standard with a 62mm clutch…. And according to Mike from taylor the 40, 46 and 50 are all the same weight so I’m assuming that Alxs would be the same as well so weight then isn’t really a factor…. So it’s really do I want more power with a smaller clutch or less power with a bigger clutch for the same price…. Your thoughts?

Also what would be the “proper gearing” for a 50bzm with the 54mm clutch?

Power wise, the 46gt and alx 50 will be close. I'd personally go with the 40gt or the alx50 and the 70mm clutch. Gearing will be somewhere around a 27/50.

Misterleon has a good point, if your new run it and upgrade as you go. The losi is one of the easiest 1/5 I feel to get a grasp on quick and learn. If you think your ready then by all means, just need to be honest with yourself us all. When your ready let me know, I help alx alot for people in the u.s.

Power wise, the 46gt and alx 50 will be close. I'd personally go with the 40gt or the alx50 and the 70mm clutch. Gearing will be somewhere around a 27/50.

Misterleon has a good point, if your new run it and upgrade as you go. The losi is one of the easiest 1/5 I feel to get a grasp on quick and learn. If you think your ready then by all means, just need to be honest with yourself us all. When your ready let me know, I help alx alot for people in the u.s.
Yeah okay…. Why the 40gt and not the 46gt? And I have been wrenching on rc cars for ages like 1/8th nitros and stuff so I’m not new to this hobby it’s more just the fifth scale side I’m new to and I feel like I am ready to upgrade to that and can justify the price…. However it’s just really a choice between either the 46gt or the alx 50 bzm with the 54mm clutch as I have no idea which ones to go with like to go with more power and a worse clutch or a less power and a better clutch? And also I’m in aus so idk if you can still help me with the purchasing of an Alx engine still but I’ll just put it out there
In my opinion you shouldn’t drop a lot of money on this 5ive t right now. You seem pretty new to the fifth scale gas hobby. What I would do if I were you is buy an esp 34 for about $400 and spend some time learning the vehicle while slowly upgrading it. This will give you time to learn the strengths and weaknesses of your truck. Give you some experience with these engines without the high stakes of a large dollar piece of kit and give you time to see if you actually even enjoy the hobby enough to justify putting another $3000 into an Rc car. Also the esp34 is a fantastic engine plenty of torque and some great rpm’s to boot
Very very valid point and with the side of upgrading things if I end up putting one of those engines in there I’ll just put the strengthened center diff carrier and see how it goes because I’ve seen people run 46gts stock and they seem to be fine so I’ll just upgrade as it breaks but yeah I totally see your point with the money issue and I’m def going to sleep on it for multiple nights lmao until I’m sure on which one to get

Yeah okay…. Why the 40gt and not the 46gt? And I have been wrenching on rc cars for ages like 1/8th nitros and stuff so I’m not new to this hobby it’s more just the fifth scale side I’m new to and I feel like I am ready to upgrade to that and can justify the price…. However it’s just really a choice between either the 46gt or the alx 50 bzm with the 54mm clutch as I have no idea which ones to go with like to go with more power and a worse clutch or a less power and a better clutch? And also I’m in aus so idk if you can still help me with the purchasing of an Alx engine still but I’ll just put it out there

Very very valid point and with the side of upgrading things if I end up putting one of those engines in there I’ll just put the strengthened center diff carrier and see how it goes because I’ve seen people run 46gts stock and they seem to be fine so I’ll just upgrade as it breaks but yeah I totally see your point with the money issue and I’m def going to sleep on it for multiple nights lmao until I’m sure on which one to get

For me, the 40gt is an animal for its size. I don't really see the 46gt being much different for the price and I own both. I can still help no problem with purchase with the alx. Just have to make your mind up lol

For me, the 40gt is an animal for its size. I don't really see the 46gt being much different for the price and I own both. I can still help no problem with purchase with the alx. Just have to make your mind up lol
Yeah okay well I’m thinking the alx 50 then if the 54mm clutch will be fine with it and the weight is the same as the 46gt or the Taylor 50?

Really? How come the 50 from Taylor is the same weight as the 46gt but the 50 from alx is heavier then the 50 from Taylor and 46gt from Taylor….. I’m guessing it’s just materials?

Back