Torn between 3 engines.... seeking advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah okay makes sense then…. I just calculated the power to weight ratios and even with the little bit more weight the alx 50 still seems to have a better power to weight ratio than a 46gt. So I’ll probs get the ALX 50 bzm with the 54mm clutch and is that 1.5lb more the 50bzm with the 52mm clutch or the 70mm or 80mm because my alx50 will probs be lighter because of the smaller clutch?

Yeah I would go with that as well however It’s at the very end of my budget and I don’t really want to spend anymore money and add anymore weight than is necessary…. By the sounds of it the 54mm will do the job just fine and be lighter as well

Yeah I would go with that as well however It’s at the very end of my budget and I don’t really want to spend anymore money and add anymore weight than is necessary…. By the sounds of it the 54mm will do the job just fine and be lighter as well
I’m not sure where you heard the 54 would do the job… these bigger clutches were produced because they didn’t do the job. 54mm clutches start fading while pulling 34 and under engines after a bit

I’m not sure where you heard the 54 would do the job… these bigger clutches were produced because they didn’t do the job. 54mm clutches start fading while pulling 34 and under engines after a bit
Oh okay then I’ll have to either somehow increase my budget then or get the 46gt lol…. Thanks for the reply clears up a lot

Also would anyone know what diff fluids I should run in all the diffs with alx 50 or Taylor 50 or Taylor 46 power?

Also would anyone know what diff fluids I should run in all the diffs with alx 50 or Taylor 50 or Taylor 46 power?
Depends what you’re doing with it. It’s a trial and error. I’m running a Taylor 55 in a 5ive t with a centre spool and 250 front and 1m rear. But the weight numbers are going to be and all over.

Time for you to make a decision.

Depends what you’re doing with it. It’s a trial and error. I’m running a Taylor 55 in a 5ive t with a centre spool and 250 front and 1m rear. But the weight numbers are going to be and all over.

Time for you to make a decision.
How does locking the center diff go? I heard it hurts manoeuvrability quite a bit? I still want to keep mine pretty nimble so I probs won’t lock any of my diffs but I’m thinking 500k front 1m rear and 1m or 1.5m in centre? Also I’ve basically decided down to the two engines the Taylor 50gt v2 or the alx 50 (super or bzm not too sure yet) anyone’s thoughts? The Taylor is a little cheaper without the billet head and is apparently 1.5lb lighter? Also the smaller cc Taylor engines are also apparently more powerful so the Taylor 50 may be more powerful then the alx 50s?
I will eventually get there with my decisions just a lot to think about 😂 any help would be awesome

How does locking the center diff go? I heard it hurts manoeuvrability quite a bit? I still want to keep mine pretty nimble so I probs won’t lock any of my diffs but I’m thinking 500k front 1m rear and 1m or 1.5m in centre? Also I’ve basically decided down to the two engines the Taylor 50gt v2 or the alx 50 (super or bzm not too sure yet) anyone’s thoughts? The Taylor is a little cheaper without the billet head and is apparently 1.5lb lighter? Also the smaller cc Taylor engines are also apparently more powerful so the Taylor 50 may be more powerful then the alx 50s?
I will eventually get there with my decisions just a lot to think about 😂 any help would be awesome
Sorry buddy. I’m tired. I don’t over think purchases. Just buy one.

OBR finally got back to me after about 3 weeks of waiting about my original question and they said the 47cc ss Reed makes 14 hp…. Still crap engine though or?

“HP wise I can't say exactly but we expect in the 14hp range based off the performance difference seen between the full mod piston port. The reed version has a lot more torque and causes the v-belt system connecting the engine to the dyno to spin and slip.”
I mean it seems like it rips 🤷‍♂️
Idk if it does any better then Taylor or alx but probs not

Last edited:
To me it seems like you want big bore power but the budget really isn't there...

I looked at a lot of options for the 5t that I'm building electric would have been the easy option for big HP but that's not what i love 5th scale for. I considered a Taylor big bore but the lack of cooling and how i run steered me away from one (for now but may add one to swap in and out later). That left me with small bore options so i picked up a Taylor 35. The cash i had left over has been spent on spares and upgrades that will increase the reliability.

Im in it for the fun, i enjoy the 5t in stock form and a 35 will really make it move so im happy for now.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks