Want a better radio.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbailey45us

Not to start a brand war or anything. I posted about a Futaba 3PV but after looking around I need some advice. I have a 30DN buggy with a BER TRC1 radio. Wanted something better as I don't trust it, but only due to its cheap haven't had problems with it. I thought about Futaba 3PV but Futaba states the range at 80m. At that distance it might as well have a wire ran to it. Been out of rc over 10 years and I flew planes then, range was never an issue. You couldn't see the giant scale plane before it got out of range. Getting into surface now. So let it roll with the recommendations. I plan on having multiple models gas and electric. Just want reliable. Programming isn't a big deal if it is difficult. I used Futaba a lot over the years. Telemetry isn't a must or anything. Don't need a $1000 setup just something decent.

Not to start a brand war or anything. I posted about a Futaba 3PV but after looking around I need some advice. I have a 30DN buggy with a BER TRC1 radio. Wanted something better as I don't trust it, but only due to its cheap haven't had problems with it. I thought about Futaba 3PV but Futaba states the range at 80m. At that distance it might as well have a wire ran to it. Been out of rc over 10 years and I flew planes then, range was never an issue. You couldn't see the giant scale plane before it got out of range. Getting into surface now. So let it roll with the recommendations. I plan on having multiple models gas and electric. Just want reliable. Programming isn't a big deal if it is difficult. I used Futaba a lot over the years. Telemetry isn't a must or anything. Don't need a $1000 setup just something decent.
A lot of people swear by the flysky fs-gt5. I have one myself. Good radio. Heck even a dumbo radio off Amazon is reliable with good range from what I hear.

i think you may be over thinking the range thing fella, you have to remember that ground is not the same as flight, in flight you need more range and you have the whole sky to see here the plane/heli is,
on ground you're looking on one fixed plane so its harder to see a longer distance,
the futaba radios are great for land based, for arguments sake say you have a 300 feet range,
if you stand in the middle of a field then you have 300 feet each way, so if effect your range has now doubled to 600 feet, so 300 feet in front of you and 300 feet behind you or to the side of you (y)(y),

This is basically the same thread as the futaba 3pv thread you started and duplicate threads are not allowed. You can ask questions in the same thread as your buggy, you don't need to start a new thread every time you have a new question.

Btw you can't compare flying to land,it's just not the same. You won't go the full range of the radio as you will be uncomfortable and will start to question how close you actually are to objects and most likely will turn around.

Check out a Flysky Noble NB4 or the pro version. The NB4 can be had for around $170 on walshart. Pros are about $400. I have one pro and two NB4s, great radio and has voltage telemetry plus other sensors available and cheap receivers. I bought (4) 8 channel receiver for $100.

Check out a Flysky Noble NB4 or the pro version. The NB4 can be had for around $170 on walshart. Pros are about $400. I have one pro and two NB4s, great radio and has voltage telemetry plus other sensors available and cheap receivers. I bought (4) 8 channel receiver for $100.
Been looking at the Radiolink Rc6gs v3. Saw lots of good things about it.

Been running a 3pv for many years now. I can run one of the trucks till you can hardly see it and still not have connection issues. The flysky gt3c I have has terrible range, basically just run my crawler with it. Wouldn't reccomend flysky to anyone.

Theres a new cheap radio, i think its radiomaster or dumbo..it has a 1 km range!!! I have a futaba too, range is not that good🤔 sometimes cheap is better

Theres a new cheap radio, i think its radiomaster or dumbo..it has a 1 km range!!! I have a futaba too, range is not that good🤔 sometimes cheap is better
I went with the Radiolink Rc6gs v3. About the only complaint I could find about it was the folding antenna instead of a stubby. That doesn't bother me at all. Got the transmitter, 7ch rx, 6ch rx, and a battery pack for about $110.

the radiomaster is an open source radio so it has more freedom then the others, tons of custom settings you can put in best thing to hit the market too. i love the fpv radios i use that has that something's

the radiomaster is an open source radio so it has more freedom then the others, tons of custom settings you can put in best thing to hit the market too. i love the fpv radios i use that has that something's
Yall got me looking more into the MT12. Maybe I should've got it lol. Oh well for what it costs can always get it later. To tell you the truth this surface stuff seems cheaper than it was 10 years ago, or well maybe not cheaper but around the same price. I'll probably go with a 1/10 scale short course truck next. Don't have a good place for on road stuff. Might be time to chop some trees down on my land and build a dirt track lol. I'm just glad there isn't a hobby shop close to me because if I were to go and see something I like I'd have to get it. A lot easier to hold off when ordering online.
This is basically the same thread as the futaba 3pv thread you started and duplicate threads are not allowed. You can ask questions in the same thread as your buggy, you don't need to start a new thread every time you have a new question.

Btw you can't compare flying to land,it's just not the same. You won't go the full range of the radio as you will be uncomfortable and will start to question how close you actually are to objects and most likely will turn around.
I figured that with me asking strictly about Futaba that a lot of people that don't like Futaba would ignore the thread. And that's kind of what happened. My bad though I apologize. I would delete the Futaba one but can't seem to figure out how.

Last edited:
I actually kind of find it funny that your asked about a good radio, that's reasonably priced and everyone want you to cheap out for no real reason. If anything you should have learned in flight, is you get what you pay for. I always ran spektrum for flight and furaba for land, since speky embraced 1/10 scale e-words and their avc sucks for gas powered models. (Plenty of guys run speky and have various work around for those issues.) So, I just have to ask, why in earth would you risk buying a no name radio, or whatever small time radio with an unproven track record?

I actually kind of find it funny that your asked about a good radio, that's reasonably priced and everyone want you to cheap out for no real reason. If anything you should have learned in flight, is you get what you pay for. I always ran spektrum for flight and furaba for land, since speky embraced 1/10 scale e-words and their avc sucks for gas powered models. (Plenty of guys run speky and have various work around for those issues.) So, I just have to ask, why in earth would you risk buying a no name radio, or whatever small time radio with an unproven track record?
My thing is the fact that Futaba lists an 80m range for their radio. That's kind of pathetic. I understand if they play it safe and list the range lower but 80m seems bad. Take DA engines and DLE engines for planes. The DLE are much cheaper and I had wonderful results out of them as well as GP. But everybody wanted DA because of the name. That's why you ask questions about actual experiences with different products. These review videos online are usually useless. It's like saying don't buy a Yamaha or Suzuki motorcycle you gotta get the Harley Davidson that cost 3x the price. Gotta research it and see what everyone's experiences are. I'm sure there's a ton of junk cheap radios but there's most likely some good ones as well. I used Savox servos a lot too. When they first came out everyone was like heck no gotta have Hitec or Futaba because Savox was cheaper.
Also with giant scale rc planes it is a little different. I've used JR, Futaba, and spektrum. One tiny hiccup on the radio when you are hovering a $2500-3000 plane 1 foot off the ground is a lot more of a concern than losing a signal on a car. As long as you have the ability to set up safeties in a 1/5 scale car to prevent a runaway all is good. I don't race so it's not that big of a deal on perfection. Now if someone would've said "don't pay any attention to the range that Futaba states on their website, it's a lot more than that" I probably would've went with Futaba. But I have read multiple places where the range on Futaba is lacking on the lower priced systems.

Last edited:
My thing is the fact that Futaba lists an 80m range for their radio. That's kind of pathetic. I understand if they play it safe and list the range lower but 80m seems bad. Take DA engines and DLE engines for planes. The DLE are much cheaper and I had wonderful results out of them as well as GP. But everybody wanted DA because of the name. That's why you ask questions about actual experiences with different products. These review videos online are usually useless. It's like saying don't buy a Yamaha or Suzuki motorcycle you gotta get the Harley Davidson that cost 3x the price. Gotta research it and see what everyone's experiences are. I'm sure there's a ton of junk cheap radios but there's most likely some good ones as well. I used Savox servos a lot too. When they first came out everyone was like heck no gotta have Hitec or Futaba because Savox was cheaper.

Also with giant scale rc planes it is a little different. I've used JR, Futaba, and spektrum. One tiny hiccup on the radio when you are hovering a $2500-3000 plane 1 foot off the ground is a lot more of a concern than losing a signal on a car. As long as you have the ability to set up safeties in a 1/5 scale car to prevent a runaway all is good. I don't race so it's not that big of a deal on perfection. Now if someone would've said "don't pay any attention to the range that Futaba states on their website, it's a lot more than that" I probably would've went with Futaba. But I have read multiple places where the range on Futaba is lacking on the lower priced systems.
I'm well versed in air, I only ran spektum radios.
I've stated a few time as many other have that own the 3pv, you can run the rig farther then you can see it and still have more range. So, whats lacking? You strapping a pair of binoculars to your head?

I'm well versed in air, I only ran spektum radios.
I've stated a few time as many other have that own the 3pv, you can run the rig farther then you can see it and still have more range. So, whats lacking? You strapping a pair of binoculars to your head?
My question was just why Futaba states an 80m range. I wanted the Futaba but that steered me away. Not sure why you are trying to argue with me to be honest. As far as cheaping out is $90-100 vs $130 cheaping out? If Futaba felt good enough about their radio then why list it at 80m range. If you wanna be an a$@ and go that route that's fine I can do it too. I'm just asking about different radio systems because sometimes a company not as well known as Futaba and Spektrum comes out with something really good. I apologize though. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings questioning Futabas range that they state on their website. I have a 30 Degree North buggy too is that bad as well because it isn't a Losi? Maybe read all the comments? There's one that says the range with Futaba isn't great.

Last edited:
Back