2 speed gear box?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CALIC

HI ALL!

Just wanted 2 know if i need 2 add any other partes to my fg baja engine if i change the gear box to 2speed? And will it make big diffrence in speed?

Thanks

HI ALL!

Just wanted 2 know if i need 2 add any other partes to my fg baja engine if i change the gear box to 2speed? And will it make big diffrence in speed?

Thanks

forgett the 2 speed gearbox. it will probobly give you more problems than
it will give you joy.
2 speed gear boxes inn offf road cars is not a god combination.

if you switch the little gear wheel behind the engin from 14 teeth ot 16 yeeth it will give som mor topp speed.
if you want i to be quicker and more responsiv skip the Baja wheels and replace them with a set of Marder Race wheels.
the Marder Race wheels have a smaler diameter ad they ar much lighter.
less rotational mass will give you a quicker car.

I run a 2 speed in my fg baja, never given me any problems apart from the catch pin in the 2nd gear hub snaps, easy fix though drill out the hub and press fit in a bigger pin, I use a cut down shock pin ...setting up is a breeze and having the ability to gear for both bottom end acceration and top speed without compromise is what it's all about.
I'm running 48/16 1st and 44/20 2nd with a 16t layshaft gear and it's the dogs bollocks off road. from personal experience i'd say get one, you wont be disapointed.

2speed needs no other parts to work but i would get alloy engine mounts and gear carrier if you don't have those already.

Last edited:
I run a 2 speed in my fg baja, never given me any problems apart from the catch pin in the 2nd gear hub snaps, easy fix though drill out the hub and press fit in a bigger pin, I use a cut down shock pin ...setting up is a breeze and having the ability to gear for both bottom end acceration and top speed without compromise is what it's all about.
I'm running 48/16 1st and 44/20 2nd with a 16t layshaft gear and it's the dogs bollocks off road. from personal experience i'd say get one, you wont be disapointed.

2speed needs no other parts to work but i would get alloy engine mounts and gear carrier if you don't have those already.

I am 100% with you on this one. I have one in my FG Baja and it hasn't been any problems at all.

How much better is having a 2 speed? I mean will you spank a buggy without it? I have an fg 4wd baja and will get one if I think the added performance is worth it.

I like the 2-speed on my MT as I get the excellent pick up and the improved top speed, however even with a stock 26cc and a pipe the thing is dangerous and I've not got it fully flat out as yet, so how much speed does someone really need.....

hello

do you think he needs the hassle of fixing a two speed?,i would be for and against on this one,don't like plastic gears at all,and i wonder is the overall benefit worth the hassle of a two speed.

but on the other hand the guys here swear by them here such as mooman ,ducky and akzip so what the hell go for it if you think you should,the cars look a lot quicker with them and sure you wont know unless you try one..

there are pro's and cons to everything in the r/c game.

you could also try as crazy beetle says for less grief change gear ratios and some slight mods,you could get a new engine head kit.

check out the thread here (fg gears/pinions/ratios)

I need some help... i don't ever hear mine shifting at all but i followed the instruction to the letter...
here are some pics of my setup...

Attachments

• IMG_20120919_030401.jpg
    IMG_20120919_030401.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20121021_114248.jpg
    IMG_20121021_114248.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20121021_114213.jpg
    IMG_20121021_114213.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 33
I need some help... i don't ever hear mine shifting at all but i followed the instruction to the letter...
here are some pics of my setup...
Hey buddy. Did you ever get this sorted.? I am having the same issue. Logically I can’t see how this gear clutch can work given the direction of the rotation and according to diagram. Is it that the back of the finger rest on the pin.
Thanks

Hello,
it is important that the arm will not click into the pin, the arm will have to lay on the pin to engage the clutch into the second gear.
So the screw to hold the disc on the axle is on 12 o´clock and the adjusting screw is on 11 o´clock to have the right possition.
To find out when the second gear will engage is easy, remove the second gear on the layshaft (the one close to the gear plate) and build it like normal togher (only gear missing)
Lift the car and hold with a tie rap the carrier that he cant turn, then give a bit more gas till the second gear will move than you will know at what rpm the second gear will work. If you turn in the adjusting screw then the second gear will come by more rpm and if you turn out the screw it will engage earlier.
Hope you can understand what I want to say, because English is not my native language.
Wolle

Hello,
it is important that the arm will not click into the pin, the arm will have to lay on the pin to engage the clutch into the second gear.
So the screw to hold the disc on the axle is on 12 o´clock and the adjusting screw is on 11 o´clock to have the right possition.
To find out when the second gear will engage is easy, remove the second gear on the layshaft (the one close to the gear plate) and build it like normal togher (only gear missing)
Lift the car and hold with a tie rap the carrier that he cant turn, then give a bit more gas till the second gear will move than you will know at what rpm the second gear will work. If you turn in the adjusting screw then the second gear will come by more rpm and if you turn out the screw it will engage earlier.
Hope you can understand what I want to say, because English is not my native language.
Wolle
Tha
Hello,
Wolle
hey buddy and thanks for the quick response. I fully understand. Thank god your English ain’t that cause the engineers at FG jobs may have been at risk. Lol.

Hooking into this thread because I started wondered about the instructions written in the FG installation document for this 2-speed gear.
This is the first time after days of search were I find writings on the mounting of part FG7458:

FG7458 SHIFT CARRIER

I contacted meanwhile my LHS (Local Hobby Shop) and they agreed on my initial thoughts were FG was believed to have it the reversed way in their instructions. Now waiting an answer from FG themselves.....This because looking at the rotation-direction of the shaft were this part is mounted to, I was in favor of having the finger snap behind the pin in the 2nd gear carrier to have best 'grip'.
Carafully reading Wolly's way of mounting, I understand the finger should NOT grip behind the finger, but at the set amount of RPM only lay against the pin to engage 2nd gear...

Why is that? Will this give enough grip to the pin? I still can't believe why not reverse it to have more grip to the pin.
Anyone?

Thank you,

Gerrie, the Netherlands.
(working on the install of the 2-speed in a 4wd 510mm chassis one5mini)

Update:

Later this day I checked the method Wollie proposed by using the tie wrap (See picture):
During the first test the shift carrier was mounted like Wollie proposed, the screw to hold the disc on the axle is on 12 o´clock and the adjusting screw is on 11 o´clock. I hold the tie wrap by a piece of pliers and throttled up.....
No shifting to 2nd gear. I turned the adjustment screw out so it was flush with the surface it was mounted in....still nothing, only light force was felt both tries. Surely not enough to get the car going while in 2nd gear.

Then I reversed the shift carrier so the the screw to hold the disc on the axle is on 12 o´clock and the adjusting screw is on 1 o´clock.
In this situation, when engaging, the pin is surely gripped by the finger.
Immediate success! Already at a low RPM the gear carrier was rotating and took the tie wrap with force, unable to hold it by the pliers.
I opened up the 2-speed, turned the adjuster in until it was 2 full turns below the surface. Now the 2nd gear engages on the stand at about 14.000 RPM.

Then tried on the street, no engaging to 2nd gear.....Huh?
My differences between in 1st and 2nd are 20/44 and 23/40, so 7 teeth. This should be noticeable isn't it?
Possibly the street was too bumpy and I need to try it on a more paved surface.
If this still doesn't shift, I will reverse the carrier again and re-try.
Other users followed FG's instruction and that worked well for them:
www.largescaleforums.com/threads/fg-2-speed-clutch-question-help-needed.19178/

I get back here in a couple of days for more news....

Update:

Track tested today....
I did not wanted to risk the pin from snapping and started to follow the FG-way, in which the finger will not grip the pin, but just push against the pin. Set-screw was 2.5 turn in from flush.
Indeed the 2nd gear engages! I was stunned....
A little too early for my 4wd 510mm chassis, but hey...it worked!
Gave the set screw another turn in and I was happy.
I did not try the reversed way, left it the way FG writes.
To hear the shifting is different to what one can hear with nitro cars. The shift to 2nd is best heared when not give full throttle like one does a speedrun. After a few tries the RPM at when the sifting is done can be noticed and with some practice you are able to sustain that RPM a little longer. Then the shifting is better heard.
My difference is 7 tooth. 20/44 in first, 23/40 (=standard 1 gear) for second.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 2_Speed_Test.jpg
    2_Speed_Test.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks